WHY SO SLOW!!!

Options
I have all the motivation in the world to do this, and so far it really hasn't been hard. It has actually been kind of fun. I am enjoying working out, and I feel better eating healthier, and I for sure enjoy finally spending some time on me! However it has been 2 weeks and I have worked out everyday and eaten well. Why have I only lost 2lbs! Did anyone else start out this slow? I am hoping that my metabolism will kick in this week and I will drop a few more lbs for all my efforts.. this is very discouraging! I at least want to average 2lbs a week!

Replies

• cochetti
    cochetti Posts: 1
    Options
    It's so slow so that you keep it off. It's about changing the way you eat and exercise and think about these things. It's not a crash diet where yes you'll drop 20 pounds in a month but two months later you're 5 pounds heavier than when you started.
  • JackieJ13
    JackieJ13 Posts: 93
    Options
    I've been doing this for 2 weeks today and have only lost 2.8 lbs. I'm not sure why some people can lose so easily and fast, but I'm not one of them. Don't lose your motivation, I'm still determined and hoping that my metabolism will kick in soon.
  • DonnaLFitz
    DonnaLFitz Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My body likes to hang on to its weight as well. I have found that in addition to managing calories in and out, I have balance the types of foods properly for my metabolism. I do well when I eliminate starches and sugars -- not carbs in general, but specifically carbs and sugars. I apparently am "carb senstive".

Keep your calories at around 1200, and try not to eat your exercise calories unless you have a really big workout day.

Make sure you drink all your water ( not fluids -- water!) That's my bug-a-boo.

The 17-Day Diet has helped me get past the slowness of weight loss. Check it out.
  • __flexylexi
    __flexylexi Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Do you watch your sodium? You can also hold on to more water if you have a high sodium diet. Dieting and eating healthy is not just about watching calories :) It helped me!

"not eating your exercise calories" has got to be the worst thing to tell somebody who is trying to lose weight. That's like if I am trying to maintain at 2000, and I do a long run and burn 1000 calories, do you REALLY think my body is in a good situation with only having 1000 calories? You will find that in the long run, you will end up holding on tot he weight if you only eat 1200 AND exercise a lot... just saying.
  • katjconsult
    Options
    I know what you mean, most people l've seen post here loose lots in the first two weeks. That's what I've noticed anyway. I didn't either, the first 4 pounds took a month. But now it seems to be going a little faster, I've been aiming for 1.5 pounds a week and pretty much hitting the 15 pounds in two month mark twice now. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it's 28 pounds so far for me since the beginning of the year. Keep it up! I know you'll see the results you're looking for. I think what turned mine up was breakfast. I was either skipping it or eating very little, Now I go to hungrygirl.com and find TONS of items that keep me full AND my lunches are smaller because I'm not as hungry.
  • colton06
    colton06 Posts: 10
    Options
    Glad I saw this post. I have been going strong for the last 3 weeks with eating WAY better and running up to 6x a week. I got on the scale this morning and I have only lost 2 freaking lbs. Why is that????? I do feel better and my clothes are starting to feel better so I guess I will take that, right???? I don't have a lot to lose (10lbs) but I REALLY want to get that extra weight off. Should I change something up?
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    My little bit of advice.. Get rid of your scale... MFP will change the way you think about dieting and it will drive you crazy... you dont' lose weight fast you lose it slow. so get rid of your scale and switch to a measuring tape... you will see your results much faster that way... then weigh yourself at the end of the month and you will be happier with your results...

Get used to this program... you aren't going to lose 3-4 pounds a week.
  • RJaxon00
    RJaxon00 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Do you watch your sodium? You can also hold on to more water if you have a high sodium diet. Dieting and eating healthy is not just about watching calories :) It helped me!

"not eating your exercise calories" has got to be the worst thing to tell somebody who is trying to lose weight. That's like if I am trying to maintain at 2000, and I do a long run and burn 1000 calories, do you REALLY think my body is in a good situation with only having 1000 calories? You will find that in the long run, you will end up holding on tot he weight if you only eat 1200 AND exercise a lot... just saying.

Agreed. Try tracking your sodium in your foods in the Settings -> Diary Settings. I also try to drink the recommended amount of water. gl
  • beccaschmitter
    Options
    It's so slow so that you keep it off. It's about changing the way you eat and exercise and think about these things. It's not a crash diet where yes you'll drop 20 pounds in a month but two months later you're 5 pounds heavier than when you started.

excellent reminder! this is exactly what I was telling my friend this morning! I was frustrated at how slow the weight is coming off, but reminded my self of this same thing! I have always been a crash dieter and am used to the weight just melting off quickly...but like you said, it ALWAYS came back on(plus some:tongue::tongue:)
    I know that this time I am doing it right, and I know that I will be able to keep it off when I reach my goal!
    Keep it up jesselou22!! you're doing awesome!
  • slimrb2011
    slimrb2011 Posts: 122
    Options
    Don't get discouraged. I started at the end of February and here are my week to week numbers....
    WK 1= 0.4 lbs lost
    WK 2 = 0.8 lbs lost
    WK 3 = 1.2 lbs lost
    WK 4 = 2.4 lbs lost
    WK 5 = 0.6 lbs lost
    WK 6 = 2.8 lbs lost
    WK 7 = 2.0 lbs lost
    WK 8 = 0.8 lbs lost
    Needless to say, I was VERY discouraged those first couple of weeks but it did start getting better. I kept at the exercising daily and eating well. As you can see, week 5 and 8 were back down, but I am just going to KEEP GOING!!
    Good luck! It is tough, but just feeling better is worth all the work and it WILL come!!
  • jesseylou22
    Options
    Thank you all! Reading all of your posts is really helping me to feel better!
  • hazbrunette07
    Options
    Glad I saw this post. I have been going strong for the last 3 weeks with eating WAY better and running up to 6x a week. I got on the scale this morning and I have only lost 2 freaking lbs. Why is that????? I do feel better and my clothes are starting to feel better so I guess I will take that, right???? I don't have a lot to lose (10lbs) but I REALLY want to get that extra weight off. Should I change something up?
    try checking your measurements. 6x a week is a lot of working out you may also be gaining muscle. :) hope this helps
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Definately eat most of your exercise calories otherwise you will start catabolizing muscle. Drink half your current eight in ounces of water. Lots of times when you are hungry, you are actually thirsty so try drinking water instead. A small handfull of nuts or an apple before meals. If you are drinking pop, STOP. Even if it is diet. Diet actually has more sodium than regular. Whole grains only, some say no carbs after 3pm but definately not after 7 pm. Protien w/carbs will help them uptake into your system slower resulting in greater satisfaction. Dark chocolate, if you like chocolate and it doesn't cause other issues for you. Add weights and interval training w/Dr. approval of course, but yeah 1lb/week is good weightloss. If your energy level goes up you are eating and hydrated enough, if the opposite is true you could be deficiet in either calories or water or both.

Oh and if you miss exercise or overeat at a meal, just keep going. I will usually add more exercise to compensate for a treat or an overage day. Drop processed foods as much as possible.