Help with reassessing my TDEE

Options
zyxst
zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
I hate asking this, but I'm frustrated and generally annoyed about it enough to ask for help from MFP.

I'm wondering what other people would have me set my TDEE as. On here, I use TDEE-20% (lose 1#/week) with my activity level set to Active. MFP gives me 2160 as TDEE with 1660 as my daily goal. IIFYM gives me 1867 TDEE (exercise daily) while Scooby's is 2265 (Moderate) and Fat2Fit is 2085 (Moderate). I used to have a Fitbit Ultra which calculated my TDEE at about 2400. I have a Fitbit Zip that shows at 3000 on average. I don't have an HRM.

Info you'll want/need:
Female
44 y/o
CW 168.4#
GW 140#
BF% 53.3 (if I understand the bone density scan numbers)
Height 5'1" (61")
Medical - High BP, high cholesterol, varicose veins, clinical depression
Exercise - I don't have structured exercise. Instead of sitting and watching Netflix, I pace back and forth while watching Netflix. The pace is very slow. In total, I'd guess I walk about 8 hours a day with sitting breaks every 20-30 minutes. I don't even lift or do resistance training.

Diary should be open if it matters. Hopefully I'll be able to find this again. ;)

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I personally like health-calc.com and exrx.net for calculating TDEE or NEAT.

Not sure what your body composition goals are though, 53% is pretty high. You might want to look for some info on strength training and protein intake, eating a 15-20% deficit in the process, to help reduce any further lean body mass losses.

BTW, if you have a stopwatch on your phone or an actual stop watch, then time your walking/standing time for a week. jot down the daily number, average it out, and see if you're actually at 8 hours.
  • zyxst
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    Not sure what your body composition goals are though, 53% is pretty high. You might want to look for some info on strength training and protein intake, eating a 15-20% deficit in the process, to help reduce any further lean body mass losses.

I don't have any goals for recomp. Weight lifting I find pretty boring, even listening to music or tv. When I did lift, when I wasn't counting reps, I was thinking about how I'd rather be doing something else. I probably don't get enough protein.

The bone density scan I had in August, 2014, gives these numbers:
    Tissue (% Fat) 53.3:
    Right arm 45.9
    Right leg 55.6
    Right trunk 55.6
    Right total 53.2
    Arms 45.9
    Legs 55.6
    Trunk 55.6
    Android 53.6
    Gynoid 57.1

Total Mass 78 kg
    Fat 39,663 g
    Lean 34,692 g
    BMC 3,607 g

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    Log food accurately for at least 4 weeks (8 weeks would be better). Add all calories consumed during that time. If you have lost weight during the four to eight weeks, multiply pounds lost by 3500, and add that product to the sum of calories consumed. (If you lost weight, your body burned additional calories, roughly equal to 3500 times pounds lost, to meet your TDEE requirements.) Divide by the number of days in the study period. That's your TDEE.

Alternatively, if you gain weight during the four to eight weeks, multiply pounds gained by 3500, and subtract that product from the sum of calories consumed. (If you gained weight, your body stored additional calories, roughly equal to 3500 times pounds gained, beyond those needed for your TDEE requirements.) Divide by the number of days in the study period. That's your TDEE.

Or, if you maintained the same weight during the four to eight weeks, just divide the total calories consumed during that time by the number of days in the study period. That's your TDEE.

This method assumes that all weight lost or gained during the study period is fat, but assuming you didn't start out buff and then sit on the couch throughout the study period, or were really lacking in muscle and lifted heavy (for you) with optimal protein, or had a big difference in stored water between the start and end of the study period, this should be pretty close. And it's almost certainly a lot closer than the estimate of an online calculator, assuming you log accurately. (And if you don't log accurately, it doesn't make that much difference so long as your inaccuracies are and remain consistent. Your calculated TDEE number might not be "correct" in that case, but it is a number that will work for you based on the way you log.)
  • ana3067
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    ana3067 wrote: »

I don't have any goals for recomp. Weight lifting I find pretty boring, even listening to music or tv. When I did lift, when I wasn't counting reps, I was thinking about how I'd rather be doing something else. I probably don't get enough protein.

The bone density scan I had in August, 2014, gives these numbers:
    Tissue (% Fat) 53.3:
    Right arm 45.9
    Right leg 55.6
    Right trunk 55.6
    Right total 53.2
    Arms 45.9
    Legs 55.6
    Trunk 55.6
    Android 53.6
    Gynoid 57.1

Total Mass 78 kg
    Fat 39,663 g
    Lean 34,692 g
    BMC 3,607 g

Well, I have no idea what most of that means lol. Eating more protein would definitely be beneficial for sure though even if you aren't lifting weights, and if when you get to your goals you're unhappy with your weight/composition then I'd say give lifting another try and see if it works better that time around. But start with those websites I mentioned to see what kind of calorie intake someone with your stats should be able to eat to maintain, then subtract 20%, log veeery accurately (weighing, daily, always close to your goal, etc) and just see how things go! I prefer the links I mention because they are not just standard drop-downs so you can enter in your normal pacing average into it, and any other things. In terms of protein, 100g would be enough if going on your body fat %. Up to 135 would be more than enough for sure.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    Log food accurately for at least 4 weeks (8 weeks would be better). Add all calories consumed during that time. If you have lost weight during the four to eight weeks, multiply pounds lost by 3500, and add that product to the sum of calories consumed. (If you lost weight, your body burned additional calories, roughly equal to 3500 times pounds lost, to meet your TDEE requirements.) Divide by the number of days in the study period. That's your TDEE.

Alternatively, if you gain weight during the four to eight weeks, multiply pounds gained by 3500, and subtract that product from the sum of calories consumed. (If you gained weight, your body stored additional calories, roughly equal to 3500 times pounds gained, beyond those needed for your TDEE requirements.) Divide by the number of days in the study period. That's your TDEE.

Or, if you maintained the same weight during the four to eight weeks, just divide the total calories consumed during that time by the number of days in the study period. That's your TDEE.

This method assumes that all weight lost or gained during the study period is fat, but assuming you didn't start out buff and then sit on the couch throughout the study period, or were really lacking in muscle and lifted heavy (for you) with optimal protein, or had a big difference in stored water between the start and end of the study period, this should be pretty close. And it's almost certainly a lot closer than the estimate of an online calculator, assuming you log accurately. (And if you don't log accurately, it doesn't make that much difference so long as your inaccuracies are and remain consistent. Your calculated TDEE number might not be "correct" in that case, but it is a number that will work for you based on the way you log.)

Thanks, Lynn! That's so helpful!
  • zyxst
    Options

I did that. It means what MFP gives me (2260 to 2160 TDEE) is likely my TDEE. Which means I'm going to have to deal with being hungry and not be able to eat the sorts of foods that will stop me from being hungry since it will put me at maintenance.
    ntossjgewmod.gif

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    How did you get your body fat measured? It seems very hard to believe that you would be at 53% body fat with your weight. But your protein is low so I guess you could have lost a bunch of muscle.

You've lost a lot of weight though so I'd guess you have a pretty good idea of what your TDEE is. About being hungry... make better choices. Cookies, chocolate and chips are fine, but having 500 calorie worth of those on a 1600 calorie diet is just not the best choice. Eat more protein, track your fiber.

Look into resistance training, and maybe buy a stationary bike you can use in front of Netflix, you can find good ones for $100... it's just easier than walking (or you could jog in place instead too).
  • zyxst
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    How did you get your body fat measured? It seems very hard to believe that you would be at 53% body fat with your weight. But your protein is low so I guess you could have lost a bunch of muscle.

I signed up for a year long weight loss study at the local university. One of the perks is getting a bone density scan done 3 times during that year.
    You've lost a lot of weight though so I'd guess you have a pretty good idea of what your TDEE is. About being hungry... make better choices. Cookies, chocolate and chips are fine, but having 500 calorie worth of those on a 1600 calorie diet is just not the best choice. Eat more protein, track your fiber.

This is why I waited so long to ask. I expected to hear how bad/wrong the sorts of foods I'm eating are. I eat the cookies and chocolate to keep me from getting stabby with myself and others. It's easier on my mental health to eat a serving of chips vs. self-harm.

I don't track fiber because I need to keep sodium and potassium on the list due to HBP, and I like seeing carbs, fat, and protein. If MFP adds more macro/micro tracking slots, I will add fiber.

• ana3067
    Options

I signed up for a year long weight loss study at the local university. One of the perks is getting a bone density scan done 3 times during that year.

This is why I waited so long to ask. I expected to hear how bad/wrong the sorts of foods I'm eating are. I eat the cookies and chocolate to keep me from getting stabby with myself and others. It's easier on my mental health to eat a serving of chips vs. self-harm.

I don't track fiber because I need to keep sodium and potassium on the list due to HBP, and I like seeing carbs, fat, and protein. If MFP adds more macro/micro tracking slots, I will add fiber.
    There's nothing wrong with having a high junk food day, or multiple. I do this sometimes, and then if I start feeling crappy I just naturally start eating less of that. I do focus on my macros though, which helps me not just eat junk all the time :p
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    You only use this as a starting point. These static equations are off an average of 14% as stated here http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/40/1/168.short
    You have to adjust based on how your body is reacting to what you are doing. I use an automated one but you can do it yourself.

This man speaks the truth. Once you've been tracking for a while, calculators are pretty much useless. Adjust based on your own progress.
  • zyxst
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    You only use this as a starting point. These static equations are off an average of 14% as stated here http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/40/1/168.short
    You have to adjust based on how your body is reacting to what you are doing. I use an automated one but you can do it yourself.

This man speaks the truth. Once you've been tracking for a while, calculators are pretty much useless. Adjust based on your own progress.

(I know this will totally be read in the Comic Book Guy voice.) I've been tracking food and weight since Jan 2012 on other sites and March, 2012 on MFP. I'm not new to doing this. I'd been relying on my Fitbit for a semi-accurate TDEE, but I had to change from an Ultra to a Zip and the Zip is giving me "generous" burns (<- that coming from the Fitbit site). I dislike using NEAT because I don't have an HRM and I don't want to deal with yo-yoing, daily caloric intakes. NEAT put me in an obsessive mindset that I didn't want to stay in.

Maybe I should have just asked: what do you folks think I should set my activity level to based on this amount of walking every day - instead of giving the information I usually see asked in these threads.

I have myself set as Active. Does 8 hours of daily walking at 2 mph sound Active?

• arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hmmm that is a tricky situation. I would suggest you are active but would highly suggest starting some sort of strength training.
  • 4daluvof_candice
    4daluvof_candice Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I hate asking this, but I'm frustrated and generally annoyed about it enough to ask for help from MFP.

I'm wondering what other people would have me set my TDEE as. On here, I use TDEE-20% (lose 1#/week) with my activity level set to Active. MFP gives me 2160 as TDEE with 1660 as my daily goal. IIFYM gives me 1867 TDEE (exercise daily) while Scooby's is 2265 (Moderate) and Fat2Fit is 2085 (Moderate). I used to have a Fitbit Ultra which calculated my TDEE at about 2400. I have a Fitbit Zip that shows at 3000 on average. I don't have an HRM.

Info you'll want/need:
    Female
    44 y/o
    CW 168.4#
    GW 140#
    BF% 53.3 (if I understand the bone density scan numbers)
    Height 5'1" (61")
    Medical - High BP, high cholesterol, varicose veins, clinical depression
    Exercise - I don't have structured exercise. Instead of sitting and watching Netflix, I pace back and forth while watching Netflix. The pace is very slow. In total, I'd guess I walk about 8 hours a day with sitting breaks every 20-30 minutes. I don't even lift or do resistance training.

Diary should be open if it matters. Hopefully I'll be able to find this again. ;)

Well my doctor told me to eat 1600/day and workout 3 days/week and the weight/inches should start to come off. Im 66inches