Feeling defeated

I have been going to Kosama for the last 8 weeks. They do different types of classes...mostly focusing on cardio, kettlebells, core work. I missed a total of 3 days during the entire 8 week session, so did an average of 5 days a week. We did a pre and post assessment to measure our progress and had my post assessment today. I am so confused about my results and I feel like I didn't accomplish anything.

I dropped a total of 4 lbs but they said that I gained an inch on my waist/hips and thigh.

How is this possible!? Yes, 4 lbs is great, but I want to lose inches! I don't even care about the weight! Could this just be a difference of 2 different people measuring me? Should I have the same person do both measurements?

If it matters, I am 33 and 5'4" - I weigh all my food and watch my calories everyday. I also work out with a HRM chest strap so I have a pretty good idea what I burn. I don't normally eat all of them back, but about half.

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    The truth?

You may have been dehydrated that first day, or may be retaining water this time. Gaining an inch on your thighs is like gaining a half pound on the scale. It's less than a coffee mug's worth of water. It is truly okay.

Also - when you change your routine and start working out a lot when you havent been used to doing so, your muscles retain fluid while they are healing and adapting.

I always notice a slight bloat and then a big shrink. You are probably the same. I suggest you keep on keeping on and continue to track your patterns. You are doing everything right and all you need to do to see progress is exactly what you are doing now, but without stopping.
  • ankdworak
    ankdworak Posts: 336 Member
    It certainly could be the difference of different people measuring... Don't be discouraged! Happy to help in any way I can. Feel free to add me. ankdworak
  • tinklemar
    tinklemar Posts: 71 Member
    I do plan on keeping on, because working out makes me feel good, and I feel guilty when I don't, just slightly discouraging. I know that muscles can retain water, but I figured after 8 weeks, I would be through that phase! Thanks for the support, I do feel better and will just shrug it off and see better results in the next 8 weeks!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    YOU WILL DO AMAZING.
  • cfayebell
    cfayebell Posts: 5 Member
    I can totally relate. I have been dieting and exercising for about 8 weeks as well. The first three weeks, I lost 4lbs. Continued to work out at least 5 days a week and by week 5 my scales were back up by 2lbs and they will not budge up or down. Even before getting better with my diet, I was still exercising 5 days a week . . .so what gives?
  • jessalittlemore
    jessalittlemore Posts: 65 Member
    Measuring bodies is also not a 100% science. Maybe they measured a little higher on your thigh this time, or maybe they pulled the measuring tape more taut last time. I can't even get consistent results on my own body.
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Measuring bodies is also not a 100% science. Maybe they measured a little higher on your thigh this time, or maybe they pulled the measuring tape more taut last time. I can't even get consistent results on my own body.

I'm thinking this as well. OP, do your clothes feel any different? They'll be more consistent overall. I can't even measure myself accurately every time.