stop strength training and just cardio??? heellppp

Options
i hope i can get some help couple of people have told me to maybe focus more on cardio for the weight loss and not lift weights. I do also strength train so i have built muscle but yet the weight is not going anywhere because of it. So my question is should i reach my weight goal then lift weights or focus on cardio and lift dumbbells???? or just stop lifting in general ???

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    You can reach your goal doing either or both or neither. I personally do no cardio, I only lift. I hate cardio and a calorie deficit can be achieved through diet. Lifting improves body composition. Cardio is good for the heart and lungs.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Your weight loss (and weight control in general) has far more to do with consumption that what exercises you are doing. Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. Exercise can be beneficial in the RE in that it increases your body's energy (calorie) requirements...this makes creating a deficit easier...but it still comes down to your consumption.

I personally would never recommend anyone to stop doing resistance training...without it, you lose a greater % of lean muscle along with your fat than you otherwise would. I'd personally stop worrying about some arbitrary number on the scale and start focusing on BF% and body composition.

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    usmcmp wrote: »
    You can reach your goal doing either or both or neither. I personally do no cardio, I only lift. I hate cardio and a calorie deficit can be achieved through diet. Lifting improves body composition. Cardio is good for the heart and lungs.

Yup, either or , both or neither - weight loss is a caloric deficit. Exercise is about fitness (if you're eating at a deficit it's highly improbable that you've gained any appreciable amount of muscle mass.....it takes energy)

Personally, I'd suggest sticking to both and perhaps paying more attention to the intake part of the equation.

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Your weight loss (and weight control in general) has far more to do with consumption that what exercises you are doing. Diet for weight control; exercise for fitness. Exercise can be beneficial in the RE in that it increases your body's energy (calorie) requirements...this makes creating a deficit easier...but it still comes down to your consumption.

I personally would never recommend anyone to stop doing resistance training...without it, you lose a greater % of lean muscle along with your fat than you otherwise would. I'd personally stop worrying about some arbitrary number on the scale and start focusing on BF% and body composition.

This
  • BoxingLifestyle
    BoxingLifestyle Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Ok so what i am getting is continue to do strength training. Thank you all helped a ton
  • jeremywm1977
    jeremywm1977 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Yes, for weight loss, caloric deficit is ultimately the answer. As far as your friend's statement to focus on cardio over strength, I would disagree, but only as it applies to fat loss over weight loss.
    Building muscle is going to do more to burn fat than cardio will. If you add just one pound of muscle to your body, that added muscle will burn as many calories while at rest as doing a 45 minute session on a treadmill/elliptical.

Now, queue the cardio vs. strength hate.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    i hope i can get some help couple of people have told me to maybe focus more on cardio for the weight loss and not lift weights. I do also strength train so i have built muscle but yet the weight is not going anywhere because of it. So my question is should i reach my weight goal then lift weights or focus on cardio and lift dumbbells???? or just stop lifting in general ???
    For mere weight loss, just eat with a daily calorie deficit.
    DONE!
    For optimal health and peak fitness, you must train both cardio and strength. It's not optional. It all depends on what your goals are: the best version of yourself or something less.

• BoxingLifestyle
    Options
    my main goal is to drop weight
  • BoxingLifestyle
    Options
    i watch calories lift and box on and off trying to find a new coach so as of now i think i lack on cardio so i think i need to pick up more cardio like i started doing just like i would get while at my old gym i think that is the issue in my situation idk thank u all
  • ucabucca
    ucabucca Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    You may want to see the scale number tip but if you really think about it what you look like in and even more so out of clothes is more important and for that strength training will take you where you want to go. Looking good firm and lean not just jello