Good snacks for studying/long days at school?

Options
Hello everyone! I'm new here to myfitnesspal and I'm looking forward to starting my weight loss journey with everyone. :) This is my first attempt at any sort of long-term weight loss and lifestyle change, so I'm hoping it goes well!

I'm currently a second-year university student and I'm wondering if anyone has any recommendations for healthy snacks during long days at school or long study sessions. I've been trying to load up on fruits during the day but the sugar in them often adds up and I end up exceeding my daily sugar levels. I'm looking for anything low-carb and low-sugar. And if any of you are university/college students, please let me know of your tips to staying healthy while in school!

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have moved to almonds to snack on. The sugar is low and the fat/fiber helps me not get as hungry.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    a handfull of nuts
  • kmariet7
    kmariet7 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs, and fiber one bars are good
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Edamame (eat the same day; don't let them moulder at the bottom of your backpack), Old cheddar, light. Simply Whey snack bar. Single serving yogurt, greek yogurt, or yogurt drink. Premier protein shake. Dates stuffed with a walnut half and light laughing cow wedge.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I forgot Hummus! I freeze mine in to tablespoon size wedges and eat with crackers.
  • vanillabanana
    vanillabanana Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    These are all amazing suggestions! Thank you :)
  • Rebekkadorn
    Rebekkadorn Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm a second year student to. When I'm in from 9am-6pm I prepare something to eat throughout the day. Normally its brown rice, a small amount of chicken mixed with as many types of steamed veg I have- it keeps my energy levels up and is really filling that's how it lasts me all day:) I've lost 24lbs so far so it must be working.
  • LilyOfTheValley008
    Options
    Cut up carrot/celery/apple with a tablespoon of peanut butter (I use PB2 though so thats about 20ish cals 1Tbsp).
    Something kind of random that I also like to do is get a hard boiled egg, cut it in half and then mix a triangle of the Laughing Cow Light Cream Cheese with the yolk and maybe a bit of mustard and TADA delicious low calorie deviled eggs :)
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs
    Hummus with veggies
    Fruit
    Apple slices with peanut butter
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Pretzels with hummus
    Protein bars
    Fiber One bars

• mathandcats
    mathandcats Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I really like protein bars for taking to campus, because they are easily portable and help fit my macros. I don't really go for fruit on it's own, because I often find it makes me want to eat more for some reason. So, for snacks, I go for things with satisfying protein and fat.
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs
    Hummus with veggies
    Fruit
    Apple slices with peanut butter
    Nuts
    Seeds
    Pretzels with hummus
    Protein bars
    Fiber One bars

This basically, plus ready cooked chicken, canned tuna, roasted chickpeas, hard boiled eggs (I boil batches in my kettle and put them in the fridge in their shells, then just grab and go) and cottage cheese. I find out of all of this, hard boiled eggs and cooked chicken/tuna are the most filling.
  • maria0elisa
    maria0elisa Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Satsumas!! They are really refreshing and only 22 cals, so you can have like 4 of them in a row and still not feel guilty!