HELLO. trying to get sexy and healthy

Options
I'm currently new to working out and getting healthy. When my mother recently went into the hospital I knew then I needed to get serious. I'm just not sure how. I lost a few pounds so far but not sure how to eat. I hear of so many fad diets. I know only diet, exercise, moderation will do the trick. What foods should I cut out my diet or decrease. I know I can't have a snicker every day. I mean things such as pastaandbread or sugar. How much is enough or is it all bad for you? And I am tempted to try frozen lean cuisine but I'm unsure of the health factor since its loaded with sodium. Any tips would be great.I don't want to be like the girls at my college who fad diet then plump up later or look anorexic.

Replies

• mrsKOrtiz
    mrsKOrtiz Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    People vary because we are all different. You asked for opinions so here I go: Don't start out by cutting out foods from your normal diet. You can eat the same foods just portion control and calorie counting. Once you establish that then move on to another small goal for example: adding fruits, or veggies, or less sugary foods. Its all about steps. Never go in cold turkey that only works for so many people. It sure doesn't for me. Also, don't give up because of one day. IF you miss a day without counting calories, pick up the next day. Counting calories is a measurable way to see how much you are or not consuming. This is not a fad diet, its a life style change. Anyone can feel free to add me if they would like a friend :)
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mom . . . not sure what happened but I am guessing you see yourself going through the same thing. We do not have to be our parents - that is part of what got me here. Like karinaortiz23 commented just take it slow, the changes you make should be ones you can live with forever. There were things I gave up and some I made room for - it starts with indentifying what you are/were 'really' eating and finding ways to make small but smart changes. Food scale will help with portions and get active, do something you like. No diet here - you can do this!
  • GameOfPearls
    Options
    Thanks guys. I was so scared of getting caught up in the fad diet hype. I'm the only female in my family that doesn't have diabetes or heart problems. I want to lose the weight but at a reasonable pace and healthy way.
  • shfoster0721
    shfoster0721 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me I have have lost 116 pounds since January. No fad diets, no pills, no surgery, nothing extreme just proper nutrition and exercise. If you need support and motivation anyone can add me.