How Often Should You Weigh Yourself?

Options
I weigh myself every morning and I've read some people only do it once a week, I don't know if I could resist. What do you think is a good amount to weigh yourself?

Replies

• peanutrenee
    peanutrenee Posts: 179
    Options
    I do it 3 times a week but im obsessed
  • BlessedMomX2
    BlessedMomX2 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every morning. I think It helps to keep me in check by seeing the number on the scale! BUT I only do a mfp weigh in once a week to see the overall loss.
  • ronda_gettinghealthy
    ronda_gettinghealthy Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    you should do what makes you most comfortable. I choose once a week only- others weigh everyday--just know that you will fluctuate up and down a bit due to retention, fecal sludge, time you ate the day before etc.

do what makes you feel best
  • lordkolakube
    Options
    I think you're free to weigh yourself every day if you want to, but don't worry if your weight doesn't go down every day.

I weigh myself every day, and use the weekly average compared with the previous week to see how my progress is going
  • mmildice
    mmildice Posts: 63
    Options
    When I first started i weighed everyday but i only logged once a week. Its risky weighing everyday because weight can fluctuate daily do to different things. Just don't get discouraged if one day you are up but down the next. Good Luck :smile:
  • dogluvr73
    dogluvr73 Posts: 17
    Options
    I started doing it weekly, i day I weighed myself and 3 hours later my digital scales said I was 3 pounds heavier LoL so I have no idea how accurate they are.
  • StrawberryDrip
    Options
    Thank you all :)
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself a few times a week....I made myself not buy a scale, so I can only find out if I lost when I go to the gym
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    weekly, same time, same scales. Watch the sun, can you see it moving? look at it less often, see it move!! Weighing daily is not good, peoples bodies are different throughout the course of a week.
  • mbalaguer1
    Options
    I started doing it weekly, i day I weighed myself and 3 hours later my digital scales said I was 3 pounds heavier LoL so I have no idea how accurate they are.

My digital scale does the same thing to me! I've started weighing myself 3 times in a row to make sure I get a consistent result but I still don't trust my scale anymore. Maybe its time for new batteries or something? Whatever the reason, its driving me nuts
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

My digital scale does the same thing to me! I've started weighing myself 3 times in a row to make sure I get a consistent result but I still don't trust my scale anymore. Maybe its time for new batteries or something? Whatever the reason, its driving me nuts

I had this problem, but then I invested in a better scale and it's super accurate. Over $100, but at least I can trust it. I asked for it for Christmas, hahaha :tongue:
  • cccathyyy
    cccathyyy Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I try to stick to once a week just so I dont get discouraged if I see a bigger number and then it goes down. I was too obsessed with just the number that I think it helps me. But I know some who do it everyday and they do better that way.
  • vabheegaard
    Options
    Every morning, but I log my weight on Mondays.

I just read a health report that said that you should weigh yourself every day because this will keep you on track and you can monitor what works, food-wise every day.
  • Catzeyez
    Catzeyez Posts: 35
    Options
    Funny you asked this :laugh: I think once a week or once a month is best, for your mind anyways.

I was just obsessing over the damn thing 3 days ago. I kept weighing myself everyday, a few times a day. So I threw it down in the basement and I'll be weighing in once a month.So far so good I haven't cheated. It is hard but I think seeing the scale once a month will be more rewarding than watching my weight go up and down every day to things I can't control like water, food, etc. I was getting frustrated even knowing that it probably isn't actual "weight". So had to get it out of there before I sabotaged myself.

We'll see if I can stick to it :bigsmile:
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I weigh every day, but I don't get freaked out by any fluctuations. I record my weight in a spreadsheet every morning, and then take the average of the previous five days' weigh-ins. If that moving average is going down, then I'm on the right track. If it creeps back up (it hasn't yet), then I'm not!

If you can manage not to fret about your weight being higher one day than the next, and trust that it will go down, then I think weighing daily is a good call, especially if you're recording the weights. More data points are better than fewer.

To go with the "sun" analogy a few posts earlier, you might notice the movement of the sun more drastically if you only look every 5 hours, but if you track its progress every hour, you'll get a better idea of *how* it moves through the sky (....disclaimer: I'm an astronomer, haha). So with my body, I personally like to track *how* my weight reacts if, say, I have a high sodium day, or have a few drinks the day before, etc. It's a fun science project for me.

But the main thing is: what's right for YOU? Are you getting panicked if you step on the scale one day and it's 150.0, and then the next day it's 150.6? If you are, then maybe a less frequent weigh in is a good call. If it doesn't bother you, then keep on keepin' on!
  • LeonaB17
    LeonaB17 Posts: 304
    Options
    Do what you feel most comfortable with. I am weighing monthly now b/c the scale would drive me bonkers - I was a scale abuser - on it every day all day etc. Even when I disciplined myself to weekly weigh ins - it was so disappointing any time it said a number I didnt' want to see, even if that number was a loss, because I secretly wished it was more. Way too many mind games and frustration. So - for my own sake - I recently switched to monthly weigh ins. But like I said, you have to do what works for you.
  • makeachange22
    Options
    i cant resist. but weigh in where u write it down once a week
  • daddyratty
    daddyratty Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself a lot. Only once per week (Thursday mornings) count, but occasionally this is different. By sometimes weighing right before bed and right when I get up, I get a pretty good feel as to how much weight difference occurs overnight (for me it's usually about 2 pounds). So if I'm going to be super busy from the moment my feet hit the floor, I might weigh myself very last thing before going to bed, and take 2 pounds off for my next morning weigh-in. It's also helped me to not worry about drinking a lot of water in the evening and this throwing off a weigh-in, etc., because my body metabolizes it and purges what it doesn't need.