I broke into tears during boot camp

Options
I just couldn't do a lot of the things the other people in class did. I got flustered with having to stop and walk around and shake off the aches. In the middle of class I just broke into tears. I thought I was doing so well on working out for the last month. My personal trainer sent me into this class and I know she said do what you can. Sigh defeating myself.

Replies

• gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged and give up. Turn up a little early next time and talk to the instructor. Explain that you had some trouble keeping up and ask for some lower impact/less intense options. Any decent instructor should probably be giving you alternate working options anyway but they should definitely be able to do it at your request.

Keep it up and just try improving a little each session. You'll be surprised how fast your body can adapt to different movements. The first few session are always the hardest
  • rdianemu
    rdianemu Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Don't let this get you down. I have been working out for the last two years and there are still things in some classes I can't do. Just modify and do what is right for your level and body. As mentioned above feel free to ask the instructor for an alternative.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid or embarrassed to modify when you need to. Every workout I do I have to modify something. You will get better. Add me if you'd like some support.
  • clehman71
    clehman71 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Boot camps can be very challenging! I do a boot camp weekly and there are times that I still have to take a break. The best advice I have for people just joining in a boot camp session is don't try to keep up with everyone else. You do what you can at the place you can handle. Don't slack off but don't push yourself so hard you are dizzy or nauseous. Modify what you have to and do everything you can otherwise! They classes don't get easier but you will get better, I promise! :D
  • MilleDreamer
    Options
    Boot camps are really hard work. The one that I go to has moves that I just can't do because of a ruptured cruciate that half healed itself. No-one should feel bad about doing it differently as long as you are working to your own max. No-one elses.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have never done that class due to intimidation and just holding myself back in general. I am proud of you for going into it! Not to be super cheesy, but I will try out Body Pump or Boot Camp in your honor this week.
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Yup, I look like a dead fish in the body pump or zumba classes. Keep it going!
  • handyrunner
    handyrunner Posts: 32,662 Member
    Options
    everyday you give the best you can do is a success!!..and if your determined..you can only get better...shake it off and hit it again!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I take a womens fitness/taekwondo class. It took me almost a year to be able to complete an entire class. It was brutal. I can keep up now and I don't have to take breaks. You will get stronger, your breathing will get better. Your brain just needs to catch up!

And I know some say 'keep going, it will get easier'.. I don't find that to be true. It doesn't get easier, I get stronger and push myself harder. I get an *kitten*-kicking a few times a week and I love it!
  • 13rialb
    13rialb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    We all start somewhere! Don't let this discourage you, you've already achieved so much by attending the boot camp and giving it your all.
    You will get stronger and you will reap the benefits! Keep going :smiley:
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    There's no shame in modifying some of the moves. Perhaps speak with the trainer before class and ask them to give modifications that you can do. If you need to take a break, do it. Don't compare yourself with others in the class, you have no idea how long they've been attending, or what their fitness journey is. You're there for yourself.

Bootcamp is hard but it will get easier and more fun if you stick with it.
  • Raydrmyr4
    Raydrmyr4 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh it is hard! Dont give up.. cry and walk in circles if you need to. Then stop worrying what is going on around you. Get healthy for you!
  • Slashnl
    Slashnl Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    I have never done that class due to intimidation and just holding myself back in general. I am proud of you for going into it! Not to be super cheesy, but I will try out Body Pump or Boot Camp in your honor this week.

I don't know why, but this just struck me as one of the most supportive and encouraging things you could say! Impressive!
  • Juliarosemary66
    Juliarosemary66 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Reading your post you say that you thought you had been doing well with your workouts over the last month- so take encouragement from that. Fitness takes time to build up so just keep pushing forward and do your best! Don't let your boot camp experience put you off. In my own personal experience it takes time to build up to participating fully in these activities and when you start them you don't know how to pace yourself. You could try to incorporate the activities you really struggled with into your own workouts to boost your performance at those. I never concern myself with how others are doing I just concentrate on how well I am doing! good luck I'm sure if you stick at it you will find it gets easier!
  • 11mike
    11mike Posts: 159
    Options
    never give up I did a group power class today n felt like giving up
  • zeltoria
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    Thank you so much :)

• zeltoria
    Options
    Thank you all for your encouragement.
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Options
    You don't know how many of the others there did exactly the same thing or felt the same way on their first go! Kudos to you for getting out there and doing it! Keep at it and you'll see improvement. I know group activities can be intimidating, but in all honesty, I don't think any of the people there would be judging you - you're all there for the same reason and they're probably too busy huffing and puffing their way through the session to notice you!
  • zeltoria
    Options
    Thank you so much
  • Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    You don't know how many of the others there did exactly the same thing or felt the same way on their first go! Kudos to you for getting out there and doing it! Keep at it and you'll see improvement. I know group activities can be intimidating, but in all honesty, I don't think any of the people there would be judging you - you're all there for the same reason and they're probably too busy huffing and puffing their way through the session to notice you!

Totally! No one else notices you... Well done... Keep going x