best_and_worst_of_halloween_candy

Options
MyChocolateDiet
MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
edited October 2014 in Chit-Chat
http://chicagoist.com/2014/10/30/best_and_worst_of_halloween_candy_f.php

it's cute the stories people remember.

My best Halloween candy I remember as a child were hard butterscotch candies. Mostly because my parents would never buy them nor did anyone in the family ever. Never in stockings, never in a pinata, never in a candy dish, never in an Easter basket. The only way to get one was to find one randomly in my plastic Jack o Lantern bucket. (or steal one from the candy bins at the grocery store, until my mom got wise and started skipping that aisle.) To this day I don't think she knows which candy I was stealing all those times she caught me with candy in my mouth or else I'm sure she would have put them in my stocking or pinata or basket.

My worst Halloween candy was anything licorice. The only thing worse than the awful horrendous sinus scorching taste of black licorice (#no racist) was the bland waxy taste of red licorice (#stillnoracist). Unfortunately, totally delicious awesome sour licorice was not invented until I outgrew trick or treating. And the only way to remedy red licorice was to use it as a straw at the movie theater when drinking orange crush or sprite and those short pieces for trick or treat were never long enough to be useful. (#seriously,notracist)

TELL ME YOUR BEST AND WORST>>>> Or just tell me. I don't know why I yelled. Also don't know why I'm so crazy excited about the candy this year? Like the most ever, even since I was a kid. Like ever!

Replies

• rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I don't remember that many candies i didn't like. I wasn't fond of candy corn but now i'm craving it. I remember one lady up the road had clarke bars every year and another would have full sized hershey bars, i honesty have no idea how she could afford that even in the 80s/90s.
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    Best: pretty much everything but candy corn. It's candy man

Worst: candy corn. It neither tastes like candy or corn. It is horrible and should be banned from the world. I honestly don't know how the stuff is still produced and how the makers get a profit on it. End of rant now.
  • Trishism
    Trishism Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, funny how we think as kids.

Reece's peanut butter cups and tootsie rolls were my favourite. I would try to trade for them but my brother and sister liked them just as much.

Least favourite were coffee crisps, I'd trade those for skittles or tootsie pops, and like 95% of chips were just plain potato chips and as I kid I always thought that was a waste. Lol!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    rowlandsw wrote: »
    I don't remember that many candies i didn't like. I wasn't fond of candy corn but now i'm craving it. I remember one lady up the road had clarke bars every year and another would have full sized hershey bars, i honesty have no idea how she could afford that even in the 80s/90s.

still can't get behind candy corn. saw some sugar cookies recipe that was shaped and colored like candy corn but still taste like a sugar cookie, that's the best I can do.

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    dkewatson wrote: »
    Best: pretty much everything but candy corn. It's candy man

Worst: candy corn. It neither tastes like candy or corn. It is horrible and should be banned from the world. I honestly don't know how the stuff is still produced and how the makers get a profit on it. End of rant now.

it's just the most rantable candy. um, wax, plus nasty flavor, plus not even actual halloween colors, plus not even resembling corn in any way, plus more like a candle than candy and yeah. worst candy evah!

• MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Trishism wrote: »
    Hahaha, funny how we think as kids.

Reece's peanut butter cups and tootsie rolls were my favourite. I would try to trade for them but my brother and sister liked them just as much.

Least favourite were coffee crisps, I'd trade those for skittles or tootsie pops, and like 95% of chips were just plain potato chips and as I kid I always thought that was a waste. Lol!

tootsie rolls were a weird one for me. don't like them as rolls, love them in pops? go figure, it's like the licorice I guess, has to be consumed with something else and then it becomes AWESOME!
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Get excited!

It's almost time...
    Halloween-candy-and-wine-1050x700.jpg
    Clock.gif
  • That1Chick_Brit
    That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    candy corn. That stuff is gross.
  • dkewatson
    dkewatson Posts: 1,415 Member
    Options
    And that's why we are friends

• JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Twizzlers have always tasted and smelled like nail polish to me.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Twizzlers have always tasted and smelled like nail polish to me.

To me they taste like a sad piece of twisty wax...oh wait, that's what they are!

• KameHameHaaaa
    KameHameHaaaa Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    Worst: Twizzlers, candy corn, and religious pamphlets. After I grew up I thought I'd never be cheated out of something again via one of those. Then I started working in a restaurant. Boy was I wrong.... -_-

Best: Snickers, twix, heath, bazooka bubblegum, anything with butterscotch

2nd Best: Just for ***** and giggles I did adult trick-or-treating a few years in a row. Went with friends to houses I knew were having parties and trick-or-treated for leftover alcohol. Got a lot of the mini liquor bottles on those nights.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Worst: Twizzlers, candy corn, and religious pamphlets. After I grew up I thought I'd never be cheated out of something again via one of those. Then I started working in a restaurant. Boy was I wrong.... -_-

Best: Snickers, twix, heath, bazooka bubblegum, anything with butterscotch

2nd Best: Just for ***** and giggles I did adult trick-or-treating a few years in a row. Went with friends to houses I knew were having parties and trick-or-treated for leftover alcohol. Got a lot of the mini liquor bottles on those nights.

pls elaborate. what does one say when the door is opened? what does one wear? are slutty costumes a must or a hindrance?

• That1Chick_Brit
    Options

:)
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

:)

wait do I have to be friends with everyone who hates candy corn?
  • That1Chick_Brit
    Options
    only if ya wanna be
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I love this topic! Mainly because I'm not giving out candy this year (last year I got 3 kids. Guess what happened to the candy?)

We never got candy corn-but that's nasty, so ok.
    Those toffees with the orange and black wrapper with witches on them? Who knew what those were called. Oddly-I love them now.
    Toothbrush/religious stuff. Save the condescension for Thanksgiving.
    Chips. But that might have been self-preservation cause my mom always took them. I talked myself into hating them so I wouldn't feel ripped off. :)

I loved finding that random house that gave out cans of pop. Cause it was the 70s and we didn't carry around water-that stuff only came from taps. By 1030 you were THIRSTY!

(this is funny.)
    http://www.toptenz.net/top-10-halloween-candies-for-ruining-halloween.php
  • chadya07
    chadya07 Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    i love anything fruity. my kid knows i will leave MOST of his chocolate alone if he gives me starburst, dots, and licorice. we have a deal. i like gummy anything. i will steal any baby ruth or twix when he isnt looking though.

lollipops that arent tootsie roll pops... no thanks. random hard candies, pass. cheap halloween themed generic stuff, pass.

i actually really like when people put granola bars and such in there, even when i wasnt dieting. like, yay free lunch box fodder! last year someone put a zbar (cliff bar for kids) in there. that was pretty cool.

my son will say give me peanut butter cups or give me death. in fact when i was in labor with him he made me get up and wander the hospital in search of them, and he wasnt even born yet.

mmmmmm candyyyyyyyy.

i am passing out nerds and laffy taffy this year.
  • Rlavigne93
    Rlavigne93 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    What's with all the candy corn hate?

BEST: Candy corn, I freaking love the stuff. Also anything chocolate, or Reeses

WORST: Religious pamplets for sure, also mints or any of that waxy cheap fake chocolate.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Candy Corn is nasty, as are circus peanuts!

Tootsie rolls are my fav :)