Late night eating?

Options
Ok I don't know what to do or how to avoid this. I have a busy life and for the past 6 days the Hubs and I have been into our newest hobby mountain biking!

I wake up around 6am, go to work @ 730 eat some oatmeal, 12pm I eat lean cuisine for lunch, then around 4 I eat a power bar because at 530 I get off work and I get home, by six I’m out at the trails... I have to eat a power bar before so I’m not starving and have energy. If we want to make it out of there by dark we need to go right away, so no time for dinner.

I love doing this more than the gym so I would like to continue but here is my problem... I burn off close to 1700 cal in those 2 hours I’m out there and we get back at 8:30pm. I feel that 9 is my regular dinner time. But that can’t be good! I have to be up early so I go to bed by 1030-11. I know you’re not suppose to eat that close to bed time... is that horrible?

Also any suggestions on maybe something quick, good and satisfying for when I get home that late and have to eat?

Replies

• tdjones00
    tdjones00 Posts: 68
    Options
    Have you tried eating mini meals throughout the day and during your hike?
  • husker_gal
    husker_gal Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    try planning ahead a little more. Maybe cook your lunch the night before and eat a larger lunch. That will help you offset your big deficit at the end of the night.
  • andipandi
    andipandi Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i eat everyday from 3pm-10pm because that's when my kids come home and need snacks and dinner and more snacks...it keeps me in a good caloric place. if it doesn't affect your sleep it shouldn't matter. that being said you may not be hungry in the morning, so don't force yourself to eat breakfast.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I know you’re not suppose to eat that close to bed time.

This is a myth. Unless eating close to bedtime upsets your sleep, there is no reason not to.

That said, I'd try to add calories through out the day so that there wasn't quite so much needed at night.
  • marandaj77
    Options
    I read that eating small meals help
  • Brina4888
    Options
    I know you’re not suppose to eat that close to bed time.

This is a myth. Unless eating close to bedtime upsets your sleep, there is no reason not to.

That said, I'd try to add calories through out the day so that there wasn't quite so much needed at night.
    [/quote

Thanks! It doesnt upset my sleep at all after the work out I get I'm out like a log! I dont mind the power bar before had but your right I should eat a bigger lunch if I know I'm going.
  • mreneecohen
    mreneecohen Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem since I work all day and then have school at night. Planning ahead definitely helps- and especially eating smalls meals. I bring lots of snacks to work too (yogurt, string cheese, sunflower seeds, popcorn, fruit).