Paying forward after 1 yr on MFP with pics -- 62 y/o.

Options
First post after reading many inspirational stories during the past year, so need to pay it forward.

I'm 62 y/o, 5'6". Started November 1, 2013 on MFP with the encouragement of my niece and nephew (who are also members). After retiring from the military, had a very high stress, sedentary job and gained a ton of weight over 15 years that I was in the position. Retired from the position and was too fat to do anything, I thought.

Once I started MFP, cut out the diet cokes (was drinking 6-8 a day) and switched to water (12-16 cups a day), I started losing 10-15 lbs a month. I swear that water is definitely a big key in weight loss. Still have a diet coke maybe once a week as a treat. :)

I have logged in EVERYTHING for the past year. Weight loss has slowed down to about 6 lbs/mo since June but I am still very happy with each pound loss. Basically eat proteins, vegetables, and fruits. Cut out candies and white "stuff" (I only like white breads, love potatoes, rice, and funnel cakes). I do eat hamburgers, fried rice, sandwiches, tacos, etc on occasions. My treats are 100 cals popcorns and Weight Watchers caramel ice cream bars (120 cals) when they fit into my daily calorie count....yum.

As to exercise, I could barely walk my dogs a quarter of a mile. I started with walking and as the weight started coming off, the walking became easier. After reading all the forums, I decided, on July 7th, I need strength and balance training, so I joined a gym and signed up with a trainer. I could not do any squats, planks, etc. Now I can do squats, planks, side planks, and much more. I just started weight-lifting (bench pressed 80 lbs last week). Really good for 4 months with trainer and no prior gym experience.

I had no health issues but my BP dropped from 152/82 down to 116/68. Cholesterol from 236 to 180 with diet changes in 9 months.

Lastly, I do have loose skin, (arms, some on belly, thighs). Good news, no love handles. I am going to give it another year; 20-30 more lbs to lose and see what results my exercise program can generate on a 62 y/o body.

My success is due to MFP (!!!), logging in everyday, counting everything I eat and sticking to the calorie intake recommended by MFP, drinking a ton of water, and exercising (strength training to get my core strength and balance back). Pretty basic but I am a very happy camper.

Replies

• simonc14
    simonc14 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Absolutely tremendous transformation! You've done a wonderful job so far, and good luck with the rest!
  • Heirgreat
    Heirgreat Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    You are beautiful
  • tabithalobster
    tabithalobster Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You look great, and MUCH younger than 62!
  • kendalslimmer
    kendalslimmer Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Well done! Good luck with your training! Xx
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Holy cow, you certainly no longer look your age! Great progress!
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    You do look much younger…and so much lighter….wonderful job.
  • freshstart
    freshstart Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Great job!
  • Ringo1812
    Ringo1812 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Same story here. 62, retired and yes started gaining the weight when I took another high stressed job parttime. The lbs. just kept on coming. Did not help that it was a desk job and did not exercise. Found this site 6 days ago and its made things so easy for me I know I am going to be one happy camper in 12 months. So congrats, you should be so so proud of your accomplishment.
  • fitterforlife
    fitterforlife Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Wow...I am impressed with your determination and again , age is only a number :)
  • ecclesse
    ecclesse Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Great Job and thank you for paying it forward to help motivate the rest of us!
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    You look wonderful. Congrats! All your hard work has paid off!
  • cheryltris
    cheryltris Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wow! Congratulations and thank you for your motivating post. I only recently got serious about losing weight after experiencing a few health problems due to obesity. I will be 56 years old in December. I thought it was impossible to lose weight at my age. Now that I am using MFP and recording what I eat and my exercise, it all seems to be falling into place now. I love using MFP. I have recently lost about 10 pounds and fell like a million bucks!
  • jacksoly8702
    jacksoly8702 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your support. Failed to mention that I started November 1, 2013 at 300 lbs and hope to hit 170 on November 1, 2014 (weighed 172 last week). Never thought I could do it but MFP really made it easy for me. Good luck all.
  • Bulbmore4
    Bulbmore4 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Way to go!! Happy your dedication has paid off for you. I am hoping that by logging for one year I will see a change.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    You look 20 years younger! Really! At first, I thought the middle picture must be your niece standing beside you in your before picture. Way to go!!
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Oh, that's SO wonderful! You should be VERY proud of yourself. You look BEAUTIFUL!
  • wldrose75
    wldrose75 Posts: 128
    Options
    Wow! I wanna look like you when I grow up. Actually, I wouldn't mind looking like you now. Great job!
  • ACJP2014
    ACJP2014 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Amazing, you look fabulous!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!