Detoxing the body

Options
I really feel like I need to clear some trash out of my system...any suggestions as to what I can eat for about two weeks to do this?....would veggies, fruits and lean meats do it?

Replies

• RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    I really feel like I need to clear some trash out of my system...any suggestions as to what I can eat for about two weeks to do this?....would veggies, fruits and lean meats do it?
  • happy_feet
    happy_feet Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    bitter gourd juice...excellent for ur sytem cleanup!! even if u van gulp dwn half a cup, it wud be great!!

i have never been able to have more dan a coupla sips!!:grumble:
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    bitter gourd juice...excellent for ur sytem cleanup!! even if u van gulp dwn half a cup, it wud be great!!

Where do you get it? How often should you take it?...Does it just make you poop?:blushing:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options

I think you got the right idea!:drinker: Healthy food choices and LOTS of water will naturally clean out our systems.... drop all the processed foods you can and eat clean and your body will love you for it!

Water is a great thing for us all to enjoy as a body cool down while working out, rehydrates us and is a awesome for cleaning out our systems from toxin etc that the processed foods have left in.....

I say go fot the healthy eating route!:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options

I think you got the right idea!:drinker: Healthy food choices and LOTS of water will naturally clean out our systems.... drop all the processed foods you can and eat clean and your body will love you for it!

Water is a great thing for us all to enjoy as a body cool down while working out, rehydrates us and is a awesome for cleaning out our systems from toxin etc that the processed foods have left in.....

THANKS DARLIN:flowerforyou: ...I THINK I'LL TRY IT TODAY....
  • happy_feet
    happy_feet Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Where do you get it? How often should you take it?...Does it just make you poop?:blushing:

The two sips I take once in 3-4mnths do not make me poop really...i guess its juss passes out more trash in d normal poop!! LOL:bigsmile:

Where do u get it?? I get it here in India...n I have absolutely no idea if u get it at ur place.:frown:

maybe we need to google for that!

Water is a much easier n better option!! u can stick to just dat instead! :drinker:
  • mbb8682
    mbb8682 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    So if you drink 8 glasses a day it is cleaning out your system right??
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: Great to have you here...love you pickin our brains...it keeps me on my toes:laugh: :bigsmile:
  • Fitness_Chick
    Options
    So if you drink 8 glasses a day it is cleaning out your system right??
    Water sure does that well.......... I always hear 1/2 of your body weight in oz. ..for water drinking....and of course more when you are working out hard!:drinker: :bigsmile:
  • mamakitty
    Options
    I did a detox diet that worked well, but it is hard to stick to. It was all veggies and a little bit of fruit (limit fruit because of the sugar), no refined carbs and even limit good carbs to 1-2 a day, no sugar, all water, limit coffee, no alcohol, and low sodium. It helped break the addiction to sugar (untill I had my first bite of sugar again and the cycle started all over)
    I think this may be a really good idea to do after Thanksgiving and then after Christmas again.
    Good luck.
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options
    I did a detox diet that worked well, but it is hard to stick to. It was all veggies and a little bit of fruit (limit fruit because of the sugar), no refined carbs and even limit good carbs to 1-2 a day, no sugar, all water, limit coffee, no alcohol, and low sodium. It helped break the addiction to sugar (untill I had my first bite of sugar again and the cycle started all over)
    I think this may be a really good idea to do after Thanksgiving and then after Christmas again.
    Good luck.
    ....Thanks...I think it would be good for those times too...
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    If your kidneys, liver, and intestines are functioning, you're detoxed already.

Your kidneys regulate hydration by monitoring blood solute levels. Too much solute = water retention. Too little solute = urination. So there won't be an abnormal amount of 'stuff' in your blood stream.

Hepatocytes in the liver have a rich blood supply. As blood runs through them, they 'screen' for toxins. If a toxin is detected, a center in the brain activates the vomit reflex.

The duodenum is the first section of the small intestine after the stomach. If an irritant is present in the chyme entering the duodenum, the vomit reflex is activated there as well.

The intestines constantly mix and move chyme through wavelike contractions, and they always move one way because of how the nerves in the lining are fired. They are always moving food toward the rectum. So yes, you have fecal matter in your colon. But it's on its way out, and there's no point in wasting money to rush-deliver this package.

In fact, most 'detoxes' are harmful. Diarrhea occurs due to irritation in the large intestine and/or a problem with water absorption. Either the lumen of the intestine becomes irritated and it produces a lot of mucous, or the 'supplement' blocks water absorption in the large intestine, causing the fecal matter to remain watery. Unfortunately, not just water is absorbed in the large intestine, so you're also missing out on the absorption of some vitamins as well.

The human body has been working the same way for thousands of years. Why does everyone assume it can't do these things on its own? :huh:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options

Your kidneys regulate hydration by monitoring blood solute levels. Too much solute = water retention. Too little solute = urination. So there won't be an abnormal amount of 'stuff' in your blood stream.

Hepatocytes in the liver have a rich blood supply. As blood runs through them, they 'screen' for toxins. If a toxin is detected, a center in the brain activates the vomit reflex.

The duodenum is the first section of the small intestine after the stomach. If an irritant is present in the chyme entering the duodenum, the vomit reflex is activated there as well.

The intestines constantly mix and move chyme through wavelike contractions, and they always move one way because of how the nerves in the lining are fired. They are always moving food toward the rectum. So yes, you have fecal matter in your colon. But it's on its way out, and there's no point in wasting money to rush-deliver this package.

In fact, most 'detoxes' are harmful. Diarrhea occurs due to irritation in the large intestine and/or a problem with water absorption. Either the lumen of the intestine becomes irritated and it produces a lot of mucous, or the 'supplement' blocks water absorption in the large intestine, causing the fecal matter to remain watery. Unfortunately, not just water is absorbed in the large intestine, so you're also missing out on the absorption of some vitamins as well.

The human body has been working the same way for thousands of years. Why does everyone assume it can't do these things on its own? :huh:

Because the companies tell us that we need their products--SBS, don't upset the apple cart, just go along and be a good consumer, you hear?

I agree--we are fearfully and wonderfully made and our bodies tend to work pretty well unless something is wrong and you've having true medical issues, and in that case, consult a doctor.

if you're worried about it, increase your fiber. Buy some Fiber one Products--that will do it! Just increase it slowly or you'll regret it.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

Because the companies tell us that we need their products--SBS, don't upset the apple cart, just go along and be a good consumer, you hear?

I agree--we are fearfully and wonderfully made and our bodies tend to work pretty well unless something is wrong and you've having true medical issues, and in that case, consult a doctor.

if you're worried about it, increase your fiber. Buy some Fiber one Products--that will do it! Just increase it slowly or you'll regret it.

I'm about to go King Kong on the apple cart! :laugh:

I second the slow increase on fiber, and drink some extra water too.
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options

The two sips I take once in 3-4mnths do not make me poop really...i guess its juss passes out more trash in d normal poop!! LOL:bigsmile:

Where do u get it?? I get it here in India...n I have absolutely no idea if u get it at ur place.:frown:

maybe we need to google for that!

Water is a much easier n better option!! u can stick to just dat instead! :drinker:
    now water, I c an do and access easily:smile:
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options

:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: Great to have you here...love you pickin our brains...it keeps me on my toes:laugh: :bigsmile:
    Thanks, glad to be here...and I love your smilies...where'd you get them?
  • RainbowNtheWaterfall
    Options

What I'm saying is I know when you don't eat properly you feel yucky then when you eat certain foods, fruits veggies, water, lean meat, no processed or fried foods, your body feels different, and your digestive system seems regulated because you "go" more often...which gives you the feeling of being cleaner or detoxed...I was just wondering what other healthy things you could do or eat to aid the process...i know the body is capable of doing it on it's own but I also believe what you put in your body contributes to how well your body does it....:smile: .......Thanks for your input:happy:
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    What about those of us that only "go" a couple of times a week, sometimes only once a week. I eat at least 20gr of fiber a day usually closer to 25. Some through food, some through supplements. Should I try to get closer to 30. I drink about 72oz of water plus 2-4 cups of green tea.
    Kelly
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    What about those of us that only "go" a couple of times a week, sometimes only once a week. I eat at least 20gr of fiber a day usually closer to 25. Some through food, some through supplements. Should I try to get closer to 30. I drink about 72oz of water plus 2-4 cups of green tea.
    Kelly

Is there some unwritten law that you have to go every day?

It takes time for things to move through your intestines. They are LONG...WAY longer than you are tall. And before they even hit your intestines, they have to sit in your stomach for a while. Digestion can take 13+ hours.

Fiber isn't a necessary ingredient in making a BM. BM's are made of dead cells, bacteria, and some of the food that gets missed. Our intestines do a really good job of mixing and moving the food along, but they can't get all of it. Fiber just irritates the intestinal wall, causing it to produce more mucous for better lubrication, and creates bulk so you have something solid for the walls to push against. You can poop without fiber, there will just be less of it. There's also less poop if you eat a lot of easily digestible foods, smaller meals, and less bulk overall.

If you have comfortable BM's, leave it alone. They should be firm, dark in color, and not take too much effort to get out. If you have persistent constipation (where you feel like you need to go but can't get it out) or diarrhea, there's a problem. But not having a BM every day isn't automatically indicative of a problem.
  • keiko
    keiko Posts: 2,919 Member
    Options
    Thanks for telling me what my husband has been telling me. It makes me feel better. All the talk about detox. My friends thinking I'm weird. I've always been this way.
    You are a wealth of information! Again, thanks for sharing it!
    Kelly