Healthy eating on a budget

Does anyone have any good tips on how to eat healthy on a budget? I work a part-time minimum wage job and so does my fiance, so we don't exactly have enough money to buy fresh fruits and veggies all of the time. Other than the obvious "try to look for sales". We do our best. Brown rice instead of white, lean meats, canned veggies.

Replies

• alabella
    alabella Posts: 36 Member
    edited October 2014
    I'm a student on a small income and I manage to eat healthily. We get around it by buying packet mixes that can be mixed with chopped tomatoes/water to make a sauce. Those are usually cheap. Also, most veggies are affordable. Here, it's 50p for a brocolli and £1 for a cauliflower. There's only two of those so they last a while. I also bulk every meal out with frozen veg, onions, mushrooms etc. All cheap to buy loose. Fruit is not so bad if you buy it seasonally. And the internet has a ton of ideas for cooking healthily on a budget.

To be honest it's my experience that junk food is the most expensive... Crisps, chocolate, ice cream etc. Are all expensive and don't keep you full for long.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Seasonal fruits and vegetables are the cheapest foods I can typically buy. Frozen vegetables are pretty cheap too.

Legumes and beans are a great source of protein and fiber and are incredibly cheap if you buy them in bags. They just need to be soaked overnight and then slow cooked during the day.

Eggs are by far one of the cheapest breakfast foods. They are commonly accepted as a nutritionally valid food.

My most expensive items when shopping - dairy (cheese and yogurts) I am too busy to make my own, meat (it is just expensive), cereal (I don't personally eat it, but the children are allowed one brand). I don't tend to buy anything boxed unless its on sale. Canned goods I will buy, especially beans because I like the convenience, but they are more expensive.

I always found my more expensive shopping trips were those with more "middle" aisle items.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    I also make most meals bulk, meaning I want them to last at least 2 meals. I was raised by someone who was taught cooking by a depression era home maker.

Cheap breakfast - crustless quiche - lasts all week. You can always put a crust on it. But its cheese, eggs, and milk. If you want more, frozen spinach works well.

Cheap dinner - 1lb meat, 1package legumes, carrots, onions, (or whatever frozen veggie I want), spices and I might make cornbread. This will last, be filling, and is excellent for re-heating.

Snacks - these are problematic on a budget, because sometimes you just want chips. Tortilla chips are cheap. Homemade brownies, cookies are pretty cheap. No kits and for the brownies use cocoa powder, not melted chocolate. Carrots are cheap and you can put them with peanut butter.

Lunches are left overs. I will buy bread for the children, as sandwiches are pretty economical, but we make our own jelly from seasonal fruits.

Drinks are water, tea, coffee - if I feel spiffy I will put lime in my water. Soda and other flavored drinks are expensive. I don't buy those. Juice and milk are for the kiddos.
  • ChescasFeather
    ChescasFeather Posts: 27 Member
    Hey,

Im a student on a very low budget and have actually found it easier to eat healthier on a lower budget thanks to ALDI and LIDL (uk)!

Big bag of carrots - 89p
    Huge bag of frozen mixed veg (separates into 6 servings) - 89p

yesterday I did a shop in ALDI and bough fresh tomato and basil soup (2 servings), Big bag of frozen veg (6 servings) stir fry veg bag (2 servings) bunch of bananas and low cal (41cal) hot chocolate (8 servings) ALL FOR £5.07 all that would last me a week!

Also we have a fresh butchers down the road (im a veggie but my bf eats meat) and we found a great deal of 20kg of chicken breasts for £20! - diced half and made a huge portion of curry and froze it and he has the other half grilled with salads/veggies etc.

Hope this helps a little?
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    The myth that healthy eating is more expensive has been created by the fact that people think that you need to stuff yourself silly with large amounts of food. Eating balanced amounts of any food is reasonably priced. Besides, fresh veg isnt that expensive anyway. The world price of a carrot is not more than beef.
  • chloeelizabethm
    chloeelizabethm Posts: 184 Member
    http://www.budgetbytes.com/

This is a really good site and should give you some ideas :)
  • mitch16
    mitch16 Posts: 2,113 Member
    Dried beans are extremely economical, too. Cooking them is somewhat time-consuming, but you can make very filling meals with tons of fiber fairly inexpensively. A pound of dried lentils makes enough soup for my husband and I to eat for 4 or five meals (I usually freeze half so that we're not eating the same thing for days on end). If you combine with rice it makes a complete protein and goes that much further.

Oatmeal has a pretty good bang for the buck, too.

Do you have an Aldi store near you? I understand that they have pretty good prices and options.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    In my opinion, Eat meant only once a week. The rest of the time, eat lentils, chickpeas and beans instead, especially the ones you buy dried. Canned one's probably won't save you much money. Continue to eat plenty of vegetables. At least 2.5 cups a day of fresh vegetables. The only canned vegetable that i consider justifiable are canned tomatoes. All the others taste rather bad. I can't stand frozen vegetables. Utterly disgusting.

Use spices and herbs more to make your food taste better.

Personally, where i live, chicken has become very cheap but that means its become very poor quality food too because chickens are not so well fed and are not so healthy. I find it is a disgusting industry and should not be supported by compassionate consumers.

Minimise your consumption of processed foods - give up cereals except say something like rolled oats which you can find quite cheap. Making your own food from scratch should be cheaper.

Always only buy the fruit and vegetables in season. Go for the lower cost ones of course and specials.

Although seeds and nuts are expensive, a little makes a salad more tasty and ditto other foods.

Make your own yoghurt. hint. To get it thicker you strain it. Mireille Guiliano has a good instruction on her website. She's the author of french women don't get fat.

Grow your own fresh herbs in pots. If you have an actual garden, try growing some vegetables.

Shop for spices and the beans etc at asian food shops. You may find they are cheaper.

Spend as much of your income on food as you can. When you can eat delicious home cooked food you will not feel so poor.

Cook pastry for savoury tarts. Cook in the style of the mediterreanean europeans. Their traditional food is delicious and often quite simple.

Cheese is good and useful in that you don't need much to jazz up a dish. If you eat it in this way, it won't be so expensive.

lentils etc can boost your protein intake if you are eating less meat so eat a fair bit of it. It is a great food for losing weight.

look up italian and greek chickpea soups
    turkish red lentil soup. Actually i make a great one that combines red lentils chickpeas, water and salt and olive oil.
    I have a lovely italian lentil soup with fennel seeds and fennel bulb but i am sure its also pretty good without the bulb if that's expensive Just put in a potato.
    I made a wonderful turtle bean thing with mexican type spices the other.
    And a nice lentil and rice combination with lots of onions.
    Indian dal is cheap to make and eaten with rice and a veg curry dish on the side such potato and peas curry, and a little fresh vegetable as well, such as raw carrot or cabbage is traditional and excellent.
    use yoghurt in most recipes calling for cream or sour cream.
    don't eat so much bread but eat better quality bread with whole grains and good flour.

• karrithehealthy
    karrithehealthy Posts: 16 Member
    Great advice! Thanks guys. Unfortunately I live in a very, very rural area in the middle of the Appalachian mountains so my choices of grocery stores are limited to walmart and a couple of small local markets that are pretty costly.
  • karrithehealthy
    karrithehealthy Posts: 16 Member
    I talked to my boyfriend and we agreed to start cooking dinners without meat twice a week to save money (and maybe be healthier?) and we'll substitute lentils and beans for protein.
  • Donnamt66
    Donnamt66 Posts: 2 Member
    I have a daughter who is vegan, her meals are really cheap. Here are our two favourite quick super-cheap recipes: veggie burgers made with canned beans, use any that you can find cheaply such as kidney beans (I find these are the cheapest, never tried with baked beans though!). Drain, rinse and roughly mash the beans. Grate some onion and carrot into the beans, garlic, maybe some sweetcorn and chopped capsicum or mushroom, whatever you have to hand really. Some herbs/spices of your choice, seasoning and a spoonful of flour if the mix feels wet. Shape into a couple of burgers and either fry in a little oil or grill/bake. You could make the same mix into ball shapes and put in wraps. I add boiled and drained quinoa, primarily to add more protein for my daughter, but find this adds a nice crunchy texture, particularly if cooked in a frying pan and bulks the mixture out without out adding any fat. Another cheap recipe is dal. If you have a slow cooker, throw 300g split yellow peas into it with a chopped onion, garlic, ginger (powder or fresh is fine), curry spices (garam masala and cumin work well), can of tomatoes or if you have some squishy tomatoes left over in the fridge these work well and 1 and 3/4 pints of stock. Cook on low while you're out and give it a stir. This thickens up a lot and is also good cold on wraps for a packed lunch. There are lots of different versions on the web for dal and bean burgers.
  • zeal26
    zeal26 Posts: 602 Member
    Cooking in bulk is best. I'm on a low budget in one of the most expensive (if not the most) countries in the world so I learned to get thrifty pretty quickly. I usually buy a cheapish meat (generally ground pork or chopped chicken), pair it with veggies (frozen or fresh, doesn't matter) and then a sauce like bolognese, korma, tikka masala, sweet and sour etc. I buy pasta and rice in bulk so that I always have those to complete my dinners.

Fish fingers are also pretty cheap and can buy them in big packs. One of my favourite dinners is 3 fish fingers with frozen veg and mashed potatoes.

For other meals I eat a lot of eggs (fried, boiled, poached, scrambled) and beans. Oatmeal every morning for breakfast, too.

I love bulk cooking because not only is it cheaper, I also have a nice stock of dinners in my freezer so I don't have to cook every night.