Any Women Over 50 Here Who Lift Heavy?

Options
I would love some inspiration.

Ht: 5'6"
SW: 210
CW: 150
GW: 135 or 140 (depends on how I feel when I get there)

I have been lifting light for a couple of months and walking since the beginning of my journey which I started just over a year ago. I did it on my own by exercising and counting calories. I stopped when my Mom passed away in July and put on 5 lbs right away so I joined here for support 2 weeks ago. Had I read these forums before I started I probably would have tried to lift heavy from the beginning, but, better late than never.
Please share your heavy lifting experiences with me. Any photos for inspiration or advice would be greatly appreciated. I LOVE this place! Thanks so much.

Replies

• shopewell70
    shopewell70 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Would also enjoy hearing the advice anyone has to give.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Turned 54 monday and last night squatted 95 lbs for the first time. Also almost did a body weight pullup for the first time. Ive been progressing in all my lifts since i started getting serious 12 weeks ago. For the year and a half prior i was doing boot camp style workout and lost 25 lbs ive since lost another 5 but wearing smaller sizes than i ever have. Im 5'2 and 122lbs. Its the best way to reshape your body and so good for your bones and a great ego boost too.
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    margannmks wrote: »
    Turned 54 monday and last night squatted 95 lbs for the first time. Also almost did a body weight pullup for the first time. Ive been progressing in all my lifts since i started getting serious 12 weeks ago. For the year and a half prior i was doing boot camp style workout and lost 25 lbs ive since lost another 5 but wearing smaller sizes than i ever have. Im 5'2 and 122lbs. Its the best way to reshape your body and so good for your bones and a great ego boost too.

Oh, that's awesome and inspiring! I am SO excited to get going. I start a new job next week and after I get kinda settled in I am going to look for a gym I can afford and hopefully get a decent trainer to help with form, at least initially.

• h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi! 51, 5'5", 131lbs.. I started lifting 3 years ago, because after 3 years of body weight exercises (doctor's orders, to combat lower back pain) I got bored. I started at 125 lbs, 25 % body fat, dress size 8, and now I'm at 131 lbs, 17 % body fat, size 4...mostly...the back got wider from lifting and is fighting with a size 6.... I don't mind, though... I have been back pain free for 3 years, and regardless of a few bumps, bruises, and minor injuries on the way, I'm still going strong! It's rough at this age, because I don't heal as fast as I used to, but it's worth it!
    Good luck!
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,365 Member
    Options
    51 here also and not yet lifting "heavy" but even at relatively light weights I'm seeing results from doing the basic compound barbell lifts. Things are tightening/perking up and my saddlebags are almost gone. I have noticeable quads now.

I've never been overweight and have actually been underweight all my adult life (still am, although not so drastically as 30 years ago!), probably sitting around 18% body fat right now. But, with perimenopause, body parts were starting to get a little mushy and I was really concerned about losing muscle mass at this age, though I still have a lot of functional strength... I can carry around 35 lb bags of dog kibble with no problem, shovel heavy wet snow for hours, etc. So figured I should put more deliberate effort into staying in shape.

I'm limited by some joint issues, and the fact that I don't have access to a gym or trainer so I'm working out alone at home. And I can't master a barbell squat to save my life, lol.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Not quite 50. I turn next month. 5'6", 125lbs. I went through menopause several years ago with no issues or stress. I believe lifting helped immensely with it. Not only that but I think my skin is faring quite well for it.

I've been lifting for 8 years and competing for over 6.

3muo32n49msm.jpg
    4d4sstzfqj8s.jpg

I have nothing sexy/flexy but the two pictures are this year at our national championships.

We have many women competing over 50 who are strong and impressive.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Not quite 50. I turn next month. 5'6", 125lbs. I went through menopause several years ago with no issues or stress. I believe lifting helped immensely with it. Not only that but I think my skin is faring quite well for it.

3muo32n49msm.jpg
    4d4sstzfqj8s.jpg

I have nothing sexy/flexy but the two pictures are this year at our national championships.

Wow, I am so impressed! I went through my weightloss (75 lbs) period a few years ago, and have been maintaining for the past 3 years; now I'm 52 (5'10", 145 lbs), and just started a weight-training program at our local gym with a personal trainer. I wanted to firm up, become a stronger mountain biker (my spring/summer/fall passion), and lose the mush while gaining more muscle. Plus it's good for my health, good for bone density, and now that I'm in my 50's, I really want to build muscle rather than begin the slow decline of muscle tissue as the years continue.

Anyway, my first "assessment" to determine my starting baseline was yesterday, and I could only benchpress the bar (45 pounds) with no weights (!!) and I think I could only put 10-lb weights on the deadlift (and my posture was horrible!). To see your deadlift photo was inspiring!!

I was told to expect to gain weight, both in fat and muscle, while undergoing this program. If you want to build muscle, you have to eat in caloric excess, and additional fat will come along for the ride. But, as my trainer assures me, when I start mountain biking next spring, with stronger muscles, the fat will begin to recede. He said "you know how to lose fat, don't worry..." It took me a bit of freaking out at the thought of eating probably 400 more calories per day, but I'm excited to see changes and do something different this winter (versus barely maintaining on short walks and that's about it).

If the OP wants to friend me, that'd be great as we embark on this weight-training journey together!
  • wmcmurray61
    Options

3muo32n49msm.jpg
    4d4sstzfqj8s.jpg

Wow! That is SO great and very inspiring! I love hearing stories like that and the fact that you know so many women over 50 that are doing it! Thank you!

• wmcmurray61
    Options

3muo32n49msm.jpg
    4d4sstzfqj8s.jpg

Wow, I am so impressed! I went through my weightloss (75 lbs) period a few years ago, and have been maintaining for the past 3 years; now I'm 52 (5'10", 145 lbs), and just started a weight-training program at our local gym with a personal trainer. I wanted to firm up, become a stronger mountain biker (my spring/summer/fall passion), and lose the mush while gaining more muscle. Plus it's good for my health, good for bone density, and now that I'm in my 50's, I really want to build muscle rather than begin the slow decline of muscle tissue as the years continue.

Anyway, my first "assessment" to determine my starting baseline was yesterday, and I could only benchpress the bar (45 pounds) with no weights (!!) and I think I could only put 10-lb weights on the deadlift (and my posture was horrible!). To see your deadlift photo was inspiring!!

I was told to expect to gain weight, both in fat and muscle, while undergoing this program. If you want to build muscle, you have to eat in caloric excess, and additional fat will come along for the ride. But, as my trainer assures me, when I start mountain biking next spring, with stronger muscles, the fat will begin to recede. He said "you know how to lose fat, don't worry..." It took me a bit of freaking out at the thought of eating probably 400 more calories per day, but I'm excited to see changes and do something different this winter (versus barely maintaining on short walks and that's about it).

If the OP wants to friend me, that'd be great as we embark on this weight-training journey together!

I don't know about you but I am VERY excited to try this! Just the thought of being stronger REALLY gets me going. I would love to add you. That would be awesome. Thanks so much!

• Kiyy
    Kiyy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Hi I saw this post and thought I would like to add you. I have lifted heavy for sport many years on and off. Now at almost 52 I'm overweight but loosing it and doing various exercise and lifting again. I use to cycle and Mountain bike I think I need to get back in to that also. Grannie mountain bikers are so cool.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I am 53, have lost 61 lbs. so far, will stop when I am happy with how I look. I have been doing StrongLifts since May, at this point I overhead press 70, bench press 105 and row 100, deadlift 170 although I had to deload to 155 last time after being sick for a week so we will see how I do next session (think I can probably get back to 170 now that I am normal again), and squat 200. I also do curls and reverse curls, I was up to 140 with curls but deloaded to give my biceps a break, so now at 120, and I reverse curl 100.

Eventually I will move on to Madcow, but lifting heavy is great, have no plans to stop.
  • ereck44
    ereck44 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    bump for later.
  • wmcmurray61
    Options
    To follow up: I went to get clearance from my doc to lift heavy and she gave me a big fat 'no'. I was in a car accident years ago which was pretty devastating. (Hospital for 6 wks, traction, rods and pins and all kinds of fun things holding various body parts together.) At that time they told me I was lucky to walk. I am PISSED. And FRUSTRATED. Because I really wanted to do this. But she won't let me lift anything over 10 lbs to start and NOTHING over 25 period. So I guess I am stuck doing 9 million reps with twinkie dumbbells. Grrrrrr! Or perhaps I should ignore it. I am damn tempted.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am 40, when I was 37, I was lifting heavy & dissected my circumflex artery & now have two stents. I was very healthy & believe it was a fluke thing, but can no longer lift heavy. Life goes on, just stay healthy & love what you ARE able to do. I see so many unhealthy people in this world & am thankful for the health that I do have.
  • wmcmurray61
    Options
    I am 40, when I was 37, I was lifting heavy & dissected my circumflex artery & now have two stents. I was very healthy & believe it was a fluke thing, but can no longer lift heavy. Life goes on, just stay healthy & love what you ARE able to do. I see so many unhealthy people in this world & am thankful for the health that I do have.

Excellent point! I AM so much healthier than I was it's like night and day. Thanks for reminding me of that! :)
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,653 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and still overweight but I have been lifting since the mid eighties, although I took most of the nineties off. My workouts are probably still a bit stuck in the eighties with more emphasis on isolation over compound than is currently recommended.

I got a very serious illness (6 months in hospital, including 7 weeks on life support in intensive care) in 2011 which left me with nerve damage in legs and feet causing impaired balance. I can't safely squat, lunge or deadlift. It's also not really safe for me to carry heavy plates or dumbells from the rack to the bench so I tend to rely on machines and cables these days.

My sets include machine benching 135-145, machine OHP 68-75, machine row 194, leg press 260.
  • 53welshlady
    53welshlady Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm 61 and have been lifting on and off since my mid thirties. I originally started it to assist with cycling (time trialling) and soon realised that I liked it for it's owns sake. Got talked into powerlifting which I did for a few years. Then dropped doing it so seriously to concentrate more on cycling - only so many hours in the day and all that.

Skip forward 30 years and cycling is not much now, but despite everything that has knocked me off course, ( and there has been a lot! ) working out with weights has remained a passion. Yes, there have been times when I've not done it for ages because life changes and events have got in the way, but I've always come back to it.

I'm currently at another phase in my life following a spate of depression after coping with my husband's ill health for 10 years. Had not been to the gym consistently for ages, put on weight, and got into a rut. I felt OLD and not able to cope with things. I have now put that behind me and am concentrating on me again.

From February I got my head into gear, started losing weight and training properly at the gym. I had got so unfit and inflexible it was embarrassing - to me anyway. I engaged a good PT because I felt I had lost my way. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I am now back to doing my powerlifts, albeit at a much lower weight than when I was competing. My passion for lifting weights is still there and am seeing improvements almost weekly.

My body has responded so quickly, and I love being able to lift heavy again. I love the muscles in my shoulders and back, and my batwings are virtually gone. I also love being an "old " woman and lifting more than most of the younger women at the gym. I think the men are also a bit surprised at this grey haired person who dares to work out in the free weights area. Yes, it is a bit hard sometimes, and I get annoyed because I can't work out as hard as when I was younger, and my body needs longer recovery time. However, I feel so much better, stronger, fitter and happier. I also do a little bit of running, and HIIT several times a week.

My husband encourages me despite the fact that he can't do it himself. He always used to be active and I can talk to him about my progress.

I intend to keep going as long as I am able to, and keep old age at bay.

• margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Thats so good to hear i also have been an off and on lifter. Even back in my 30 s I couldnt wait to get thru with the "required" cardio to go hit the weights. I look better than i ever have right now at 54 except for the veins, crepey skin and grey hairs, but im wearing tanktops and always getting compliments on my muscles. My hubby isnt on board with my passion but i do it for me. I have alot of arthritis and i cant open a jar but i can bench press 65 lbs, i can barely get up off the floor but can squat 100 lbs i have neck disc issues and can hardly turn my head but i can do a body weight pullup. It makes me feel strong and accomplished and im gonna do it forever.