Insanity support and is there such thing as weak wrists?

Options
So I have just stated insanity....

I took the fit test yesterday and was nearly sick :)
Today I have done day 1, however I struggled with the level 1 drills. I feel silly but find push ups really hard- my wrists ache, am I doing it wrong or do some people have weaker wrists than others?

I am going to try and do them on my knees next time.

And yes I am sooooo slow compared to the people on the DVD but you got to start somewhere I guess.

Has anyone completed this or going through it now?

I work shifts and the guys I work with are really unhealthy so need support that it will get easier/ I will get quicker......

Cheers :)

Replies

• lesliebunny
    lesliebunny Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi Haley~
    I am just starting Insanity as well. I used to be terrible at pushups but as long as you practice them, you will eventually get strong enough to do them. I also did a lot of upperbody work on bicept, tricept, chest and back and that seemed to help me. You will get stronger. Keep up with it!
  • 152jurgen
    Options
    Hi HaleyBrom,

great that you started Insanity! I just stared two days ago so we'll be in to it "together".

If you're not used to doing push-ups, it's definitely better to start doing them on your knees. That way you'll save your wrists and you'll be able to do more repetitions. As you progress you'll be able to do them normally. But make sure to keep your core tight!

I never did Insanity before, but I did a lot of Les Mills workouts before I put my extra kilos up... and yes, as you start it will be difficult but it will go better, just don't give up!
  • jenny3008
    jenny3008 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    HaleyBrom wrote: »
    I feel silly but find push ups really hard- my wrists ache, am I doing it wrong or do some people have weaker wrists than others?

I am going to try and do them on my knees next time.
    quote]

I haven't ever done Insanity, I tried it once but I have hypermobility and my body just wasn't strong enough at the time. However I do a lot of similar kind of workouts and with my weak joints I find on the days its bad that my wrists really hurt doing things like push ups, burpees, mountain climbers.... anything that requires my hands to be flat on the floor.

For me helps to use something that allows my wrists and hands to be in one straight line such as those push up bar things. But be warned they make the push up even more horrible.

If you can do them from your knees until your wrists get stronger that's what I would do
  • lillyy23
    lillyy23 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Hey!!! I just started insanity too!!! Doing on your knees will deff help, after you're better at the reps, you will be able to do a full one. thats how i started as well. I can only do like 4 normal push-ups and before I could barely do one! I dont know if you, or anyone here is into facebook much, I arent really i just go on for the insanity pages and support. I was thinking we should make a facebook group!!! Then we can motivate each other. my friend who lives in the UK is doing it with me:) we would really like a group . Oh, and btw I am 5'2 in height... and im back at 162 pounds ... 2 years ago i lost 20 pounds and i gained it all back. :(
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    strong post.
  • AlaskaSusan
    AlaskaSusan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    My wrists are pretty sensitive..try using a small weight/dumb-bell to hold as you perform the push-up. That helps me greatly so I can concentrate on the pushup and not my poor wrists. My brother had carpel tunnel surgery and does his pushups on his fists, so that may work for you too. An alternate to working from knees or toes, my trainer had me start on the wall first, then on a bench, then to my knees and now I can do a regular pushup. Not many, but that's coming too :wink:
  • HaleyBrom
    HaleyBrom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your message. I have had a look at wrist exercises on YouTube too so will try those out. For those doing insanity it would be great to have friends who were going through it too :)

I am also very happy/glad it's not just me who has this problem, nothing worse than thinking it's only you!
  • karenj_m
    karenj_m Posts: 215
    Options
    pick up "push up bars" at your local Dick's sporting goods store....it works and there cheap. That'll take the pressure off your wrists. Or use dumbells (heavy ones so they don't move) as pushup bars. :)
  • DR2501
    DR2501 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    karenj_m wrote: »
    pick up "push up bars" at your local Dick's sporting goods store....it works and there cheap. That'll take the pressure off your wrists. Or use dumbells (heavy ones so they don't move) as pushup bars. :)

This. I had shoulder problems before I did Insanity so I did my pushups/drills on bars and they really help.

The workout you just did (plyo cardio) is my favourite Insanity workout. It doesn't get easier, but you definitely get fitter so keep at it :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I have this problem as well which is why I do them from my fists or using pushup stands. Better quality workout and no wrist pressure.
  • alyssa2905
    alyssa2905 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi! Good job starting Insanity! I'm currently on my 2nd round. I did a full round right before my wedding last month, and I'm now finishing up week three of level one again. It feels so great to push yourself through such a difficult program, doesn't it!?

I have a really hard time with the push-ups as well. I find them to be 10 times more exhausting than any other exercise, and the one exercise that I don't push myself quite as hard on.

I'm not sure what the best way is, but I personally don't like doing knee push-ups anymore. And trust me, it's not because I've gotten much better at them. Before my first found of Insanity, I completed "The 30 Day Shred'. I did knee push-ups for that entire program. By the end of it, I didn't really feel like I had gotten any better at them. So when I do Insanity, I do as many regular push-ups, going down as low, as I can. Then I shoot to do them a little better next time. I feel like I'm getting more out of it, and I can see myself getting better at them.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    alyssa2905 wrote: »
    Hi! Good job starting Insanity! I'm currently on my 2nd round. I did a full round right before my wedding last month, and I'm now finishing up week three of level one again. It feels so great to push yourself through such a difficult program, doesn't it!?

I have a really hard time with the push-ups as well. I find them to be 10 times more exhausting than any other exercise, and the one exercise that I don't push myself quite as hard on.

I'm not sure what the best way is, but I personally don't like doing knee push-ups anymore. And trust me, it's not because I've gotten much better at them. Before my first found of Insanity, I completed "The 30 Day Shred'. I did knee push-ups for that entire program. By the end of it, I didn't really feel like I had gotten any better at them. So when I do Insanity, I do as many regular push-ups, going down as low, as I can. Then I shoot to do them a little better next time. I feel like I'm getting more out of it, and I can see myself getting better at them.

The reason you didn't get any better than them is because 30DS has you doing high rep sets, which does not train strength but endurance. Seeing actual strength gains means using enough resistance to ensure you can only manage a single digit number of reps. Pacing yourself so that you can go for timed sets is cardio, not strength training.
  • BJAdW
    BJAdW Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yes, push up bars or dumbbells in place of the bars will GREATLY help your wrists! I bought mine for $10 at Walmart.
  • PurelyAmy
    PurelyAmy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have done insanity for several months now (i started in march) I'm now lighter faster and stronger, but still have achy wrists.
    I've found if you turn your hands slightly inwards and push up pointing your elbows in, you engage your core and take off pressure from your wrists!
    If you ever need help just message me and i'll do my best :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Just don't lose sight of the fact that in a non-injured individual, your wrists will condition and the discomfort will go away.

My wrists used to hurt from pushups. I fought through that with 50 pushup sets, and now I can do pushups and heavy bench without wrist issues.
  • HaleyBrom
    HaleyBrom Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses. Today was cardio recovery, but I did some push ups before hand using some dumbbells, and it help :)

Strangely I am finding the v push ups easier?!?