This will make you think twice before eating that Halloween Candy!

Options

Replies

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    jbach2 wrote: »
    Terribly unhealthy to think like that. Celebrating a holiday eating a bunch of whatever I want while staying on my goals before and after that day won't ruin my diet. Like I read somewhere else: 1/365 days (and maybe if you count all the special occasions where you "screw up" you get to 15/365... again, no big deal if you do things right).

Unhealthy to think like that? No, actually it is unhealthy to eat like that. I wouldn't advocate an alcoholic have a few drinks during the holidays. But, if that works for you. For me, I don't like to fail a few times a year on purpose. Overcoming the temptation is a success. Success motivates more success. Failure just brings you down.

Of course, if you just want to lose weight and healthy eating is of no concern, then just eat all you want on those days and cut back on your calories the next, right?

And as far as depriving yourself of that craving... lol. Just give into them, then. Let me know how that works for you later on. Skip the gym when you don't "feel like it" and dare not push yourself. It might hurt. Get those milks and cookies out.

alcohol and halloween candy are not even on the same level..

talk about comparing apples to oranges...

Challenge accepted

y6acei3c9ppz.jpg

Can you fit an orange in an apple?

freakanomics-the-movie-apple-orange.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1281724904970

Someone beat me to the Freakenomics cover, great book!
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    emily_stew wrote: »
    So if the OP has a problem with those little fun size bars, I am wondering what she would think of what we are giving out this year:

v8p1en8w9h1t.jpg

Where do you live?!

Just follow the really bright lights. I think you can see our place from space.
  • sunburntgalaxy
    sunburntgalaxy Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    MJ_Watson wrote: »
    So if the OP has a problem with those little fun size bars, I am wondering what she would think of what we are giving out this year:

v8p1en8w9h1t.jpg

StfhNTz.png

OP, sorry but I'm not giving up my Halloween candy! I don't care how many burpees I have to do!

My neighbor does full bars too.
  • _celesse
    _celesse Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Eh...the first time I went to look up calories for fun-sized candy (which is very annoying to do, btw....), I DID think twice and I did feel that what I had eaten was ultimately not worth it. I think a lot of people see the small candies and think, oh I can have more. And especially on Halloween, as I've done and seen others do, they gorge on it. Which is fine, if that's what they wanna do then go ahead lol. I just see this chart and think "awareness." I feel like a lot of folks are not really aware of what they eat, and putting nutritional information into terms of exercise kind of helps people to "see" what they are eating better. Well, it helped me.

I also might save this chart just so I don't have to check 56294829 entries to see which one has the right cal info...
  • HereLieWe
    HereLieWe Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I plan on celebrating Halloween by eating my favorite candies. I bought 5 different king-sized candy bars and have already fit them into this week's calorie count. It won't set me back any and I'll still lose weight for this week.

I was going to buy a couple bags of fun-sized candy bars and eat them instead (cheaper and more candy), but I realized that 1. I wouldn't be able to control myself and stop at my daily limit, and 2. their size would make me more inclined to overeat, since they're so small.
  • Lasmartchika
    Lasmartchika Posts: 3,440 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed my candy tonight. Gotta buy some more tomorrow. :mrgreen:
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Heck, I'm diabetic and I'm not that anti-sugar.

• ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Kudos to the OP for letting most of us know how much we need to work out if we can't just stop at one or have enough of a calorie deficit left (if consistent weight loss is your ultimate goal) to fit in the yummy candies!
  • teagirlmedium
    teagirlmedium Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I like the chart. I have seen it on another site, mainly because my friend tagged me in it. For the past few days I have not cared, so I have not been doing what I usually do. So over on calories. Usually, I just work all my food into my allowed calories. If I go over I walk it off. Nothing on that list is over a 2 mile walk for me. Which I do while listening to music, or talking on the phone if anyone is up.
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    To hell with that! I am eating candy! I have it ALL planned and pre-logged.
  • Hirobuff
    Hirobuff Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Butterfinger is well worth it!
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    OP if you budget the candy into your daily routine then it doesn't effect you as much as you think it does.

It's called moderation ;)

Still going to enjoy the candy.
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I took it for how it was meant ...... Humorous and light hearted....made me smile, thx OP
  • graysmom2005
    graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    I. LOVE. HALLOWEEN. I love it! I never, ever, ever, ever buy candy bars. EVER. So this is such a fun holiday for me. I love having a day of Twix and Kitkats and Milkyway Midnights (favorite!). My goal (not always reached) is to not binge and after the 31st whatever is left to fit them into my day.
  • shartran
    shartran Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Yes...it did make me 'think twice'...actually more than twice because now all I think about is having a bowl full of Peanut Butter Cups! LOL
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Kudos to the OP for letting most of us know how much we need to work out if we can't just stop at one or have enough of a calorie deficit left (if consistent weight loss is your ultimate goal) to fit in the yummy candies!

I've consistently lost weight... 115 lbs to be exact and I've never followed a chart on how to punish myself for having a candy bar. I eat it, log it and if it fits into my day even better. One day didn't make me fat, and one day isn't going to derail my progress.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Kelli850 wrote: »
    22rsf0ibofz1.jpg

Is it really worth the calories?

OP-- yes, those calories were definitely worth it. A couple of weekends have passed and I recall eating 2 Hershey chocolate bars(the minnies) during a half marathon run(I ran part 2 of a relay so a short 6.55 miles). I was provided the minnies DURING the run those-- evil people handing out candy! Maybe it had something to do with the location of the race. . . . .Hershey PA, maybe not. Either way, the chart is awesome. Can you provide one for Thanksgiving? Many thanks.

• Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I just got a Mars and a Crispy Crunch and they aren't on your chart -- are they free? ;):D
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I don't see Caramilk on the list, so it must be 0 calories. Which is great, cause I already ate some ^_^
  • ithrowconfetti
    ithrowconfetti Posts: 451 Member
    Options

I've consistently lost weight... 115 lbs to be exact and I've never followed a chart on how to punish myself for having a candy bar. I eat it, log it and if it fits into my day even better. One day didn't make me fat, and one day isn't going to derail my progress.

I totally agree. I was just trying to give a positive spin to a topic that was otherwise drawing a lot of flak from people. Giving the OP the benefit of the doubt, I think she just wanted us to think twice before over-indulging in candy. After all, anything in excess is detrimental. But you're right. One day won't derail anyone's progress or make you fat, because candy and chocolates for Halloween? Not going to make anyone sad, that's for sure. :)