almost always over in sodium

Options
How can I prevent this? I either come close or go over daily. I do have HBP (on meds) and drink water.

Replies

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Cut back on processed foods.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    At the grocery store, shop the outside walls first, and buy very little from the center aisles.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    you eat a lot of processed food, which is typically high in sodium, and processed meat. also get unsalted nuts instead of salted...

if you pre logged you could check your sodium and swap things that made you go over your goal.

or, just drink loads of water to balance it out.
  • Kellierahne
    Kellierahne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    It's difficult to give advice on how to modify your diet to reduce your sodium intake without knowing what you're eating.
    That said, many boxed and canned foods have excessive amounts of added sodium. Check the labels of everything you buy/prepare, and when possible purchase fresh produce instead of canned.
  • Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I buy low sodium/no salt items as much as possible, like ketchup, tomato sauce, lightly salted chips etc. I also buy frozen veggies.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Poofersgrl wrote: »
    I buy low sodium/no salt items as much as possible, like ketchup, tomato sauce, lightly salted chips etc. I also buy frozen veggies.

and its not those items that are the problem... look through your diary, you can see the stuff that is high in sodium.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    or, just drink loads of water to balance it out.

Water doesn't balance out sodium, though it is required as a carrier. Potassium balances out sodium. Some studies have shown that the ratio between the two is more important than the total amount of sodium. Of course, most of us don't get enough potassium, which we need at like a 2:1 ratio to sodium. And not all food labels list the amount of potassium. But fresh meat, and fresh fruits and vegetables improve the potassium to sodium ratio.

• Poofersgrl
    Poofersgrl Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I will start trying to eat more fruits and veggies. Like bananas, apples, carrots celery etc. Would that help?
  • Kellierahne
    Kellierahne Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Poofersgrl wrote: »
    I will start trying to eat more fruits and veggies. Like bananas, apples, carrots celery etc. Would that help?

Eating more fruits and veggies is never a bad idea :)