10k question

Options
I am running my first 10k thus Sunday. The longest I have run is 4.5 miles. Should I run a 10k before Sunday or will I be screwed in the race?

Replies

• brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Not sure what your normal running schedule is at this point (so close to race day), but I'd run whatever your standard run is. I don't believe in adding miles you're not used to the week of a race. If you're used to say, 3 miles, go run that to get the work in and build confidence for Sunday.

Enjoy running your first 10k race!
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would not push any harder now. I would do an easy training run on Thursday and not do anything on Friday or Saturday to make sure your body is ready for your longer run on Sunday. You won't have any real gains the days coming up to your race and risk getting injured and missing it if you push too hard.

I just did my 1st half marathon last weekend and the longest I had previously run was 10 miles. I took it easy the week before and was able to complete the half faster than expected without any problems.
  • SteveTries
    SteveTries Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    No, it's rest time ahead of the race.
    The atmosphere of the event should see you thru those extra couple of miles just fine - just don't start out too quickly off the line.

Good luck.
  • kaseasteele
    kaseasteele Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    No. Rest. Do easier, shorter runs. You'll do fine, just don't start off the race too fast :) Good luck!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Just take it easy now, it's only another 1.5 miles. Assuming your goal is completion rather than a specific time objective then you should be fine.
  • stuffinmuffin
    stuffinmuffin Posts: 985 Member
    Options
    Nope always rest before a race. Best of luck!!! The atmosphere and other runners will spur you along on the day.

Hope you enjoy it.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    Short run and rest. Go out slow, enjoy the day.
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Easy peasy....
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    Just chill and run your race. If you did 4.5, worst case you can fake 6.2. Freaking out and doing a "trial run" is a quick way to screw yourself on race day. The hay's in the barn around 3 weeks pre-race, so at this point, just roll with it :)
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    nah, this is your taper week.
  • Bellodesiderare
    Bellodesiderare Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your first 10k!! I just ran my first 10k two weeks ago. I was a bit intimidated as I am more of a 5k kind of girl, but I LOVED it!! I am thinking of training for a 1/2 marathon now :):) Warning: the rush of the race can be addictive!! Anyway, the week prior to my 10k I would run between 3-5 miles each day. I normally lift 4-5 times a week, but decided to skip lifting altogether that week to avoid soreness. Good luck and enjoy!!
  • aarar
    aarar Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    Don's make your longest run to date the week of a race.

Just go into it knowing that if you can run 4.5 miles you can run the remaining 1.7-ish. Your body won't shut down at 4.6 miles, it's all mental beyond that. You got this.
  • Annadel
    Annadel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you all. Getting pumped for my race. I will just do a short 3 mile run tomorrow and that's it before Sunday.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt run tomorrow.
  • goanothermile
    goanothermile Posts: 98 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Annadel wrote: »
    Thank you all. Getting pumped for my race. I will just do a short 3 mile run tomorrow and that's it before Sunday.

I understand. The pre-race excitement makes you want to go!

Play it smart. Resist the temptation. Conserve your energy for race day.

Your training for this race is complete. The extra 3 miles you're considering the day before your race will not help your conditioning at all. That would be 2/3 of your longest run ever, so there will be some carryover fatigue. Maybe only a little and maybe a lot, but for sure you'll be less than 100%.

If that doesn't convince you, remember that every run has a (very small) risk that you could get hurt - turn your ankle, strain something, slip and fall, whatever. Why risk it?

Just rest. Hydrate. Eat moderately.

You'll finish.
  • gabbo34
    gabbo34 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    I agree with the comments above. The extra mile and a half is just another 15 minutes or so. The adrenalin from the race day will push you that far. Just pace yourself well...
  • WhatMeRunning
    WhatMeRunning Posts: 3,538 Member
    Options
    Agreed with the above about resting and shorter runs ahead of the race. You will probably be OK as you may find yourself having a bit more determination and stamina while running the race with everyone. I know I did in my first 10k. In fact, in the weeks before my first 10k I had been unable to run for more than a full mile, and would then walk for a spell. I had increased my distance to 6 miles on three different run/walks before the race and assumed I would do the same at the race, a mix of running and walking. I ran the whole freaking way much to my surprise! So the first time I ran more than a mile I ran 6+ at an actual race. You may very well find yourself able to do it, as you are closer to the 6 mile running mark than I was.
  • Annadel
    Annadel Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    you all are amazing support here. I am looking forward to it tomorrow. Will post my results. thanks friends.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    Good luck! You shouldn't have problems going from 4.5 miles to 10K as long as you pace yourself.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    Options
    yoovie wrote: »
    nah, this is your taper week.

Do you do tapper weeks for 5K and 10K distances? I thought that was just for 1/2 and above distances.