getting a stitch

Options
When I first feel a stitch coming on I feel all nostalgic as it reminds me of being about 10 years old running around in the streets with my friends which is probably the last time I actually ran anywhere. But then the real pain kicks in. I'm on the first week of the C25K so I'm only running for a minute then walking for a bit but after about 10 minutes I had to stop and double over, it felt like I had broken a rib. I think you're meant to just carry on and get through the pain but I guess I'm a wimp.

Does anyone know how to stop them happening or how to get rid of them quickly? I think they happen because there's not enough oxygen getting to the stomach, so should I make sure I leave a big gap between eating and running or am I not breathing properly?

Replies

• myndee
    myndee Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really want to know what people have to say about this also.. I've had this happen to me a few times since I've recently started running, what causes it? and what's the best way to get through it?
  • muffintopminx
    muffintopminx Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I've heard that you should exhale every left step (or every other left step pending on how fast your going). I don't know the science behind it but I've tried it and it works for me. I think that's why the army has troops say "Left, left, left right left" when they march. I don't know, but it makes sense to me.
  • smurfguru
    smurfguru Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I had a trainer way back in the day that gave me a cure for this. It has worked for me for years. When I get a stitch on my left side I try to even out my breathing and lift that arm in the air while I do. It's supposed to help expand the side of the affected lung.