Losing close to 50lbs by New Years

Options
choosin2loosen
choosin2loosen Posts: 7 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
This is my goal - 50lbs down by New Years...while it is ambitious, given my current weight of 249lbs I'm wondering if this possible.

I currently am consuming around 1,000 calories a day - I'm not starving myself; I just have substantially reduced my consumption since switching to strictly water and tea. And I'm doing around 20-30 minutes of cardio a day.

Please let me know if you guys/gals have any suggestions on how to make this happen.
***add me (choosin2loosen) and follow my loss :^)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    That's over five pounds a week, which is not sustainable or healthy. You'll lose fat, but also quite a bit of lean body mass. I started in January at 248 and today I weigh 198.1. So don't rush it...you didn't put 50 pounds on in two months, did you?
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    that low on cals , two weeks it will be stopped, you are going to plateau because instead of cutting slightly, you give yourself no chance to keep losing, your body succumbs quickly to routine... You dropped your cals way to soon that low, my gooooodnessssss....
    Research Layne Norton on you tube... 'metabolic damage', and watch the video
    You have to raise your cals to 1400 then slowly drop or you will burn out and will stop losing anything all together. Anything over 1000c also you will gain alllllll back because of this shock...
  • SLHysell
    SLHysell Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I would not try for that goal. You may achieve it, but it will not contribute well to future and/or present fitness. As a previous poster said, you will be very likely to gain it all back. Losing weight is a long slow process with no quick fixes. It truly is all about time and consistency.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    Why the rush did you gain the weight in 2 months, why expect to lose it that quickly?

How do you expect to get adequate nutrition? Why not learn to do this in a way that you might be able to lose it and keep it off?
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    honestly, you should have started months sooner...I would suggest the following:

1. come up with a reasonable goal, say 1 pound per week loss.
    2. either use MFP method or TDEE method.
    3. get a food scale and weight, log, measure everything you eat.
    4. Understand that there are no "bad" or "good" foods and that you can eat what you like in moderation and still loser.
    5. get on some kind of work out program - strength training ,running, walking ,etc..
    6. repeat until you get desired results...
  • starchild3
    starchild3 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    In my experience if you lose it "quickly" you will gain it back (plus some for me) it's not a quick fix we seek but a WOL!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    honestly, you should have started months sooner...I would suggest the following:

1. come up with a reasonable goal, say 1 pound per week loss.
    2. either use MFP method or TDEE method.
    3. get a food scale and weight, log, measure everything you eat.
    4. Understand that there are no "bad" or "good" foods and that you can eat what you like in moderation and still loser.
    5. get on some kind of work out program - strength training ,running, walking ,etc..
    6. repeat until you get desired results...
    All this right here!

You didn't gain it overnight, so you cannot expect to lose it overnight.

A 50 lb weight loss my NYE is not healthy nor sustainable. You are already eating to low for your weight and will hit a wall pretty quickly.

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Lets do the math.

Your BMR is ~ 1875 so for every hour you sleep/are totally inactive you burn 78. Basic activity of moving thru your day, probably about 100/hr. Exercise, it depends on what you do.

Lets assume you sleep 7 hours = 546 burned. Lets say you do aggressive high intensity cardio for about 4 hours a day, online calculators estimate 485 burned realistically per hour. So there are 13 hours left. Assuming you're doing basic activity, running errands, but not working out aggressively that's another 1300 calories burned. So 485x4 + 1300 + 546 = 3786. No sitting still, lounging around in those 13 hours though. Moving in some way even though not aggressively.

If you do that, then you'll burn 3786/day - 1286 consumed (being a bit more realistic because you say 1000 but you don't weigh/log EVERYTHING accurately. Even if you try, there will be errors/approximations) that's 2500 deficit per day. So in 2 months you could have a deficit of 2500 x 61 by NYDay or 152,500. @ the general theory of 3500 = 1 pound, that's 43.5 pounds.

But as you lose weight you'll burn less so the progress will slow slightly. This is purely based on the #s. I'd say that even going ultra-aggressively, your best outcome would be 35-40 pounds. And even then, its assuming you won't get burnt out, having rest days, have days where you eat higher, splurge because you feel deprived, etc.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Not gonna happen. If it does, it probably wasn't the best way to do it. May end up looking like a your skin is dripping off you.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    I did peek at your diary.. and I would suggest learning how to log more accurately, while you are setting more realistic goals
  • mandybear014
    mandybear014 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    SLHysell wrote: »
    I would not try for that goal. You may achieve it, but it will not contribute well to future and/or present fitness. As a previous poster said, you will be very likely to gain it all back. Losing weight is a long slow process with no quick fixes. It truly is all about time and consistency.

+1

OP - I have lost 40 pounds over the course of 8 months. Let me tell you, slow and steady is the way to go.
  • choosin2loosen
    Options
    I know I need to increase my calorie intake to at least 1,200.

The main reason I cut the calories as quickly I did, was because I was drinking close to 1,200 a day and living a slothful lifestyle for the past 8 years. Yes, that was horrible. But, now it's a matter of getting back into a cleaner way of eating. I know it's going to take time.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    I know I need to increase my calorie intake to at least 1,200.

The main reason I cut the calories as quickly I did, was because I was drinking close to 1,200 a day and living a slothful lifestyle for the past 8 years. Yes, that was horrible. But, now it's a matter of getting back into a cleaner way of eating. I know it's going to take time.

you are on the right path ...start making changes now, but do not attach arbitrary goals to them like "lose 50 pounds by new years" ....like others have said, slow and steady wins the race..

You could easily eat, say, 1500 to 1700 a day and still lose a pound to pound and a half a week ...
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    Read these links they will help you get started:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1235566/so-youre-new-here/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think#latest

Don't set a specific time frame especially one so unrealistic
    Figure out a reasonable deficit
    Learn some about nutrition
    Be PATIENT this takes time

I've lost 115 lbs it took me about 18 months, I ate between 1500-1900 calories a day.
  • Jessalynn54
    Jessalynn54 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    When I started eating less then I was suppose to I dropped 10 lbs quick but then just started gaining. 24 lbs in less than a year. I started eating more around 1400 and the gain has stopped and am slowly getting back to what I'm use to.
  • choosin2loosen
    Options

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10012907/logging-accuracy-consistency-and-youre-probably-eating-more-than-you-think#latest

I've lost 115 lbs it took me about 18 months, I ate between 1500-1900 calories a day.

That's great! Thank you!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

That's great! Thank you!

You're very welcome!! The other thing to remember don't try to be perfect, go for consistent. If you look through my diary you will see I eat all kinds of things, more days than not I stay within my daily goal.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    It's not possible. Get a food scale, weigh all your solids and use a measuring cup for liquids only. Like a previous poster suggested, you could be losing 1-1.5lbs on 1500-1700calories/day. Focus on the next pound only. They will add up. This will take time.
  • kal900
    kal900 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I'm 1lb less than you and got @ 92 to go... but I definately wouldn't try doing 50lbs by new year... nice thought, but I know I'll be setting myself up for disappointment, or scuppering my longterm loss. If you wanna check in daily and aim for sustainable loss until new year just give me a shout... if we're lb for lb it might help keep on track and tweak for best healthiest way to lose and feel good about it! I do weigh food, but I also round up so I'm rarely under valueing my intake... managing nicely on @1330 and losing weight steadily.
  • Cortneyrenee04
    Cortneyrenee04 Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    I think you should do some reading and set some more realistic goals for yourself. I personally like aggressive goals and I'm motivated by them but this is way too much. Five pounds a month is considered pretty great and you're going for 5+ pounds a week. It's just bit realistic. There should be no deadline. It takes however long it takes :) Good luck