Wondering how others like using this program

Good afternoon! My name is Lisa B. and I am 48 and am on about my 1 millionth diet. It seems I have been on a diet all my life with little success. I have tried them all but have been unsuccessful, basically because I feel I don't stick to anything long enough, measure food or have the support to carry me through. I have spent a lot of money on programs like weight watchers, curves etc and did not follow through with them either. I do not have a lot of good years left and this is like something I feel I finally need to tackle. I am wondering how everyone likes this site and any tips you might have. There are a lot of sites out there apparently and I have decided to try this one. Any tips/help would be wonderful!

Replies

• bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Wow!! Since I am almost 48 years old I hope you are wrong on that not many good years left. I have lost over 50 pounds in the last year, recently starting do P90X workouts and feel better than I have in 20 years. Feel free to send me a FR. I am happy to help any way I can.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    LOVE IT
    I may come and go from time to time. We all get busy and sometimes, complacent but MFP has kept me on track and every time I stop logging and get complacent I pay the price and know where to turn for assistance.
    Tips: The calculators are not the most accurate. I suggest other sites to accurately calculate what you should consume and then manually set your goal to that. Also, if possible, get an HRM (Heart Rate Monitor) to more accurately calculate your calorie burns.
  • AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    I was overweight all my life and never thought I would EVER be able to lose weight. However when I found this site and started tracking calories, after sticking with it for a couple months I noticed that it was really working. Also reaching out and networking with friends is a big help because if you find the right people, they are very motivational and keep you on track. I'm really glad I found MFP because I never could have lost 45 pounds on my own.

And no need to spend money on programs - tracking your calories teaches you to eat the right way so you can sustain it for the rest of your life. and the site is free, so it's a win-win for me!
  • VegasFit
    VegasFit Posts: 1,232 Member
    Hi, Lisa! I think a better attitude might help as you start this journey. Lol. 48 is no where near where you should be thinking you only have a few good years left. I am almost at a year of not necessarily logging each and every day but signing on and checking the boards every day and interacting on my home page with MFP friends. I agree with Colleen about calculating your nutrition goals from another site. I also find my HRM very helpful and I utilize my food scale and measuring tools when I am food prepping.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    MFP is just a tool...you'll get as much out of it as you put into it. It's not a diet..there aren't really rules...it's just a calculator that helps you determine how many calories you need to achieve your weight control goals. There's not magic, it's just math...it requires consistency and commitment to work...but it works. The best part about it is that you can actually learn to eat real food that you enjoy in appropriate quantities...which makes maintaining weight a breeze. You don't have to deprive yourself to lose weight...you just have to eat a little less and move a little more.
  • cwolfman13 wrote: »
    MFP is just a tool...you'll get as much out of it as you put into it. It's not a diet..there aren't really rules...it's just a calculator that helps you determine how many calories you need to achieve your weight control goals. There's not magic, it's just math...it requires consistency and commitment to work...but it works. The best part about it is that you can actually learn to eat real food that you enjoy in appropriate quantities...which makes maintaining weight a breeze. You don't have to deprive yourself to lose weight...you just have to eat a little less and move a little more.
    ^THIS X 1,000
  • Wow!! Since I am almost 48 years old I hope you are wrong on that not many good years left. I have lost over 50 pounds in the last year, recently starting do P90X workouts and feel better than I have in 20 years. Feel free to send me a FR. I am happy to help any way I can.

• Thank you for responding, it is much appreciated! P90X huh? Will be awhile before I attempt that! lol! My son in law is a professional MMA fighter and he trains with that as one of his tools! Good for you! What kept you motivated in the beginning?
  • Thank you so much for sharing that. I think it was important for me to see the "after sticking with it for a couple months I noticed that it was really working. " I guess if I was honest, I have never been super faithful to a program and give up with no immediate results which is not realistic. I guess finally realizing it is going to take a lot of work!
  • AmZam05 wrote: »
    I was overweight all my life and never thought I would EVER be able to lose weight. However when I found this site and started tracking calories, after sticking with it for a couple months I noticed that it was really working. Also reaching out and networking with friends is a big help because if you find the right people, they are very motivational and keep you on track. I'm really glad I found MFP because I never could have lost 45 pounds on my own.

And no need to spend money on programs - tracking your calories teaches you to eat the right way so you can sustain it for the rest of your life. and the site is free, so it's a win-win for me!

Thank you so much for sharing that. I think it was important for me to see the "after sticking with it for a couple months I noticed that it was really working. " I guess if I was honest, I have never been super faithful to a program and give up with no immediate results which is not realistic. I guess finally realizing it is going to take a lot of work!

• Wow!! Since I am almost 48 years old I hope you are wrong on that not many good years left. I have lost over 50 pounds in the last year, recently starting do P90X workouts and feel better than I have in 20 years. Feel free to send me a FR. I am happy to help any way I can.

Thank you for responding, it is much appreciated! P90X huh? Will be awhile before I attempt that! lol! My son in law is a professional MMA fighter and he trains with that as one of his tools! Good for you! What kept you motivated in the beginning?

• PotentiallyCrazy
    PotentiallyCrazy Posts: 69 Member
    Welcome :smiley: I've been here for 3 weeks now & I'm already seeing definite progress. I think the main thing is it helps keep me accountable. As long as I am keeping track of everything I'm putting into my mouth, I'm doing good, lol! Learning portion sizes is another biggie that really helps, & adding exercise to the mix & being able to track that boosts the progress. Now I'm looking at getting a fitbit or some kind of tracker to help me along further.

I agree with what they said up there, too, about you having good years left. I hope you have plenty! & joining MFP & making progress ought to hopefully add more years & improve the quality of those years
  • ChristinaWins500
    ChristinaWins500 Posts: 8 Member
    I'm just looking for some friends. I'm 24, but I have some big goals. I've used MFP with great success before but life got in the way now i'm ready to stick with it and be fit enough for a wedding dress :)
  • ValleySimTech
    ValleySimTech Posts: 69 Member
    I been using MFP for several months and it is working great for me. Being able to track the calories of what I eat everyday has really help me control my snacking and I've lost over 20 lbs so far. Welcome to MFP and feel free to add me as a friend.
  • PokeyBug
    PokeyBug Posts: 482 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

^This. I love using it as a tool to help me achieve my goals, but you still need a plan. If you're open to suggestions, feel free to add me as a friend and PM me, and I'll tell you what has worked for me. Maybe you can do something with that?
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    I've been here for 850 something days in a row. It is very hard work. And it works if you put the effort into it every day.
  • EmeraldRain
    EmeraldRain Posts: 22 Member
    I've only been on this site for a week so far, but I find that keeping track of calories, fat etc on my own without this site wasn't as easy, soon as I started putting everything I eat onto the food diary and sticking to the calculations that I entered for myself, I am finding it isn't as hard anymore to do and its fun watching yours and other people's progress. Also you can make friends here who feel the same way you do and also doing the same thing. Give it a try :)
  • phyllb
    phyllb Posts: 735 Member
    I like it because it is portable and can be accessed from most devices. So I can use it when I have the time. I like the community support and the integration with my fitbit
    Pretty amazing it is free
  • NaomiJFoster
    NaomiJFoster Posts: 1,450 Member
    I love it so much. I actually sort of enjoy entering my food and seeing what food combinations get me to certain numbers. It's like a puzzle, so I make it fun.

But you can't really say "MFP works". You get out of it what you put into it. It just makes things visible as you're being more conscious about food and exercise choices. You can see what your choices are doing.

I'm 46 and gained a lot of weight quickly in the last few years. That, along with other changes in my body made me feel like things were getting out of control. I needed to take charge of my health and not just spend more years guessing and assuming and fooling myself. With MFP, there is no fooling around. You eat, you log it. You exercise, you log it. The math is there. It's so visible. There is no guesswork or uncertainty.