Heart monitors

Options
Does anyone know if heart monitors track the calories u burn? What is a good one to buy? I'm looking for a way to track calories when I do work out videos, stairs and other things not on a machine that calculates calories for you!

Replies

• llovegrove
    llovegrove Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I just bought a TImex one this week and absolutely love it. Yes it does track calories burned, among many other things. I am going to just get used to teh basics before I get technical with it. :) I got mine at ****s for 109.00. Its a Timex Ironman Triatholon. A lot of people get the Polar ones, whic I almost got. The guy that works at ****s said they sell alot of them and the TImex ones...the only bad thing about the Polar is you have to send them back to the company when the battery dies to get it changed.
  • dawnna76
    dawnna76 Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and it tracks my calories burned while working out. It was a real eye opener for me as I was burning less calories than MFP said I was based on thier estimates.
  • dawnna76
    Options
    I just bought a TImex one this week and absolutely love it. Yes it does track calories burned, among many other things. I am going to just get used to teh basics before I get technical with it. :) I got mine at ****s for 109.00. Its a Timex Ironman Triatholon. A lot of people get the Polar ones, whic I almost got. The guy that works at ****s said they sell alot of them and the TImex ones...the only bad thing about the Polar is you have to send them back to the company when the battery dies to get it changed.

not all polars need to be sent back. Mine you can change the battery yourself. FT4
  • JRena225
    JRena225 Posts: 373
    Options
    I have a polar FT4 and it tracks my calories burned while working out. It was a real eye opener for me as I was burning less calories than MFP said I was based on thier estimates.

DITTO!!! ACTUALLY JUST CAME FROM THE STORE BUYING AN FT4 AND I CAN'T WAIT TO GET HOME AND START WORKING OUT!!!
  • kmart20
    kmart20 Posts: 72
    Options
    I have a Polar FT4 as well and love it. It make you push yourself more in your workouts. I was the same as dawnna76 and it was a real eye opener for me too, since I wasn't burning as many calories as MFP said I was in their estimates.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Newer Polar heart rate monitors have user-changeable batteries. I have the FT40 and am very happy with it.
  • slyder432
    slyder432 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4
  • Packerfan23
    Packerfan23 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love my Polar HRM...F6. But now that I see the FT4 you can change your own battery, I may look into that one!
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I got a $70 NB N4 from Target. Works great! Tracks calories, time in certain zones, heart rate. I enter my own personal data (weight, height, age, sex). And batteries are replaceable. Also, saves workouts. Only thing is it is not synced to just my monitor, so if you are closer than 3 feet from another user you can get interference. But I never ran into that problem yet.
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    I am looking to buy one too. Does each of these have chest straps?
  • ssawchenko
    Options
    I did a little research when I bought mine, and the general consensus was that Polar was the popular choice.

I ended up buying a Polar FT7 and I love it. The battery in the watch and the transmitter are replaceable, and the chest strap is very comfortable.
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    question for anyone w/a polar ft4......
    does it ask for your weight, height, age when you are setting up
    do they come w/a chest strap??
  • Cls162003
    Cls162003 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks I had a feeling that my calories were off on mfp so im going to buying one also for that purpose. Thanks for all ur input
  • jesn311
    jesn311 Posts: 43
    Options
    I bought a polar ft60 and I don't go to the gym without it! The calories it shows on your HRM are more accurate then the machine gives you.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Can anybody explain what does the size imply?? When i go to amazon to buy Polar FT7, under size it has 5 options.

One
    Mens
    One Size
    One Size Fits All
    Womens

I find this a bit confusing.
  • absolament
    absolament Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    They are talking about the monitor (the watch that you wear). They tend to be a bit bulky so they offer "womens" size. Which just means it's more rounded and slightly smaller. One size means they aren't going to cater to anyone specific. If you want their features, but the monitor as it is.

The NB N4 comes with a chest strap and constantly monitors when set to do so.
  • drasr
    drasr Posts: 181
    Options
    Hmmm..Thanks :)
  • dawnna76
    Options
    question for anyone w/a polar ft4......
    does it ask for your weight, height, age when you are setting up
    do they come w/a chest strap??

yes and yes
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    hope someone can answer....when I look at the Polar FT7 there is a FT7 and a FT7 Heart Rate Monitor Watch. They both show a chest strap as well as a monitor. So what is the difference? I get the watch part but where do you wear the monitor part on the other one