Shoulder Pain While Running & Left Jaw Pain after

Options
I read a few postings on this, but just wanted to ask again because of the jaw pain. I just started running again two weeks ago after taking a hiatus for a few months. I have been getting a TON of shoulder pain in my left shoulder (while running, after and the next day) and this morning I woke up with a lot of pain in my left jaw. Does anyone know if these two things are correlated?

I don't think my form is perfect, but I try very hard to be conscious of it while running. Any quick tips or ways you remind yourself while running to keep form would also be appreciated.

Thank you!

Replies

• uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    The only thing I could think of is some sort of back/neck problem? The pain could be in your neck and it could be radiating to your shoulder and jaw.
  • rmdaly
    rmdaly Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Do you hold something on that side when you run like your phone or a leash? You could be doing your whole run with it tensed that makes it hurt the next day.

Could you be clenching your teeth when you run? I used to have some missing teeth and when I would swim, I could breath anyway. I didn't realize that I was clenching my teeth until I got the missing teeth replaced and I couldn't breath anymore without opening my mouth.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Or she's having a heart attack?
  • silentKayak
    silentKayak Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    Ice and advil may help, but you should see your doctor if the pain persists. They could absolutely be related.
  • jacquelinelohr
    jacquelinelohr Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice everyone. I just took tylenol and have an icy-hot on and the pain has subsided for a bit. I dug a little bit on the MyFitnessPal community and saw someone post this, just in case anyone else is experiencing pain like this -

"Shoulder Pain while running is often due to cardiac ischemia (especially left shoulder pain). When we run enough to get into Anaerobic training, we often have low levels of oxygen in our blood due to the high levels of oxygen that muscles start needing. The heart is not an exception to this rule, and it needs much more oxygen than any other muscle in our body. When our blood oxygen is low in anaerobic training, our muscles adapt to it by switching to anaerobic generation of energy. Our heart, however, cannot do this, and when the low oxygen levels hit our heart's blood supply, the heart will send pain signals to the brain. Unfortunately, our heart does not have its own localization of pain, but that pain is instead referred to our shoulder or jaw. This is the reasoning behind jaw pain and shoulder pain seen in patients with heart attacks (myocardial infarctions). Hope this clears it up.

Source: Medical school & Board Review Series: Physiology 5th edition (pages 65-100)"

• Edie30
    Edie30 Posts: 216
    Options
    Gosh I wanted to pick you up and take you straight to emergency when I read this!!! But the above explanation seems to explain it!!! Eeeeeek !