Lower leg pain for the first few miles of a run

Options
HI all,
I am looking for some Advice regarding an issue that I seem to have,
I have been running 5k runs for some time now and most of them I get lower leg pain like a cramp on the shin. I have this year extended my range and am now up to half marathon distance and I have notice that I still get the pain but it only lasts for the first 5k or so then it goes? any advice to minimize this pain would be well received.
on the half marathon distance I tend to run through it however it does take a lot of focus to do so!

Replies

• sloseph
    sloseph Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    what are you doing to warm up before your run?
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Have you had anyone look at your gait while you run? Could be an issue with your mechanics.
  • purch1977
    purch1977 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Warm up would consist of a gentle jog then a series of stretches which would include static and dynamic ones total time would be around 20 minutes? gait analysis is flat footed and have been using insoles with support trainers
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength training? Personally I find when I neglect my calf raises my shins / calves will remind me (and, like you the discomfort disappears after a couple of km)

The other question that comes to mind......how old are your shoes?
  • lisajuliette
    lisajuliette Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing and I'd actually get a bump where the pain was. I think a reeeeeally good stretch and warm up could help you. Jogging as a warm up still hurt but that's just my personal experience. That's some really impressive running by the way :)
  • purch1977
    Options
    thanks guys for the responses! I think I will go down the strengthening route! as to be honest I haven't really done anything rather than run and cycle.
    my trainers are new (September) but have done over 150 miles in them so should be broken in!!
    I did a 5k at the weekend I tried a few things like loosening my shoes etc and did have moderate success however still experienced discomfort!
    I managed a PB so not all bad!!
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    If all of the above suggestions do not work, it could possibly be a circulation issue - it's a longshot since you're young and in shape, but it sounds similar to Peripheral Arterial Disease/Claudication. Next time you get a physical done, mention the pain to your Dr. and see what he comes up with.
  • purch1977
    Options
    I think this may be a little off the mark harlequin? I tend to get the pain whilst running and if i go for further than 3 miles it will subside and go away! it only really bothers me for the first 3 miles of a run I have run 2 half marathons and hundreds of miles in training and the same thing happens it comes on around 500 meters and goes at around 3 miles!
    my last check up with the doctor with full blood works done didnt show anything that would cause worry!
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    purch1977 wrote: »
    I think this may be a little off the mark harlequin? I tend to get the pain whilst running and if i go for further than 3 miles it will subside and go away! it only really bothers me for the first 3 miles of a run I have run 2 half marathons and hundreds of miles in training and the same thing happens it comes on around 500 meters and goes at around 3 miles!
    my last check up with the doctor with full blood works done didnt show anything that would cause worry!

Just had to throw it out there just in case- it sounded familiar to me from nursing school :)