Chicken Breast

Options
Hi,

I've read a lot of different answers to questions about chicken breast calories and I wanted to see what everyone here had to say about it.

If I purchase 0.5 lbs of raw chicken breast and I cook it in a pan with cooking spray, how many calories do you think are in the chicken? I know that 0.5 lbs = 8 oz and I've read that 4 oz raw is typically around 120 calories, so 0.5 lbs raw = 240 calories? Does that mean that it is still 240 calories after I cook it in a pan as long as I don't use any oil?

Thanks!

Replies

• trekkie_bbs
    trekkie_bbs Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Your question is an awesome one. I am NO expert but the best I can do to help you average it out is to weigh it after it is cooked. That is the weight you would then base your totals on. However for me that is going a tad bit far but if it helps you feel better or more accurate then by all means do it. You must include the spray in your totals if you plan to use it though. Some sprays say 0 calories however the fact is that is not true.

Ultimately without scientific equipment to check the composition of the chicken and to verify the information on the spray you are only adding your best guess.

For me I base everything on raw data and add any added items like condiments, spices, and such.

I hope this helps as it has helped me lose weight. By no means is it scientific or an end all be all number but more of an estimate. I rather overestimate than underestimate. When you look at it like like this how much does it really lose in weight? a full ounce? if so that is only about 29 calories so I doubt that will make a huge difference in the end.

Best wishes and hope this helps somewhat.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Go with the raw calorie count.
    The people who come up with those numbers expect you to to do this:
    1 weigh it
    2 cook it
    3 eat it.