Yes, another question about alcohol

Options
I don't drink often, but want to have some drinks with friends tonight at a Halloween party.

So I have always been a fan of vodka soda/diet lemonade/ any sugar-free mixer, because it is my understanding that in terms of the straight spirit, vodka has the least calories per serve?

However, other sources suggest that vodka, rum, gin and whisky all have the same calorie content. It is hard to find a straight answer because some sources list different serving sizes, while other mix comparisons between the actual spirit with comparisons between already-mixed drinks. I already know that my sugar-free lemonade has 1 calorie per serve because it is on the label.

Anyway, I don't have any vodka at the moment. I have a scotch I was given as a present that is single malt. Now anyone with 'taste' is going to hate me for this but I'm pretty happy with standard/average spirits because I mix everything with diet lemonade and I have actually never been able to appreciate the fact that it is 'good quality' or whatever.

But I am wondering whether that drink will have significantly more calories than vodka? It is 40% but I don't know:
a)whether straight scotch of the same alcohol percentage has more calories and,
b) whether the blend effects the calorie content.

ANY insight would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why don't you just go with scotch on the rocks…?
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    Options
    Check this site out:

http://getdrunknotfat.com/
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Because I prefer the taste of it mixed and it makes only one calorie difference than on the rocks.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Heck, mix it, slam it, log it. BAM!
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Please don't put lemonade into a single malt....
  • 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Socalkay, I can not find the brand name in thst lost, although it is a great resource!

Also, I am not going to pay much attention to any opinions about how to drink something from a taste perspective because I am already familiar with what I like
    I have a serious issue with the idea that there are 'correct' and 'incorrect' things to like.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    why don't you just go with scotch on the rocks…?

I think I love you, lol! That's my poison. Otherwise, yeah, OP pick a spirit of your liking and use a low cal/no cal mixer of your choice. Nothing wrong with drinking what you like the way you like. (PS, I like Jim Beam or vodka in Crystal Light lemonade, too).
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Lol... it's all good...
  • socalkay
    socalkay Posts: 746 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Well, going by the list on GDNF, most of the vodkas listed range between 96 - 97 calories per 1.5 oz. This includes their "generic" vodka listing so I think you are safe to assume 97 calories per 1.5 oz of vodka is a reasonable estimate. Just make sure you get an idea of how many ounces of booze is actually used in a single drink.

I don't think there is a 'correct' or 'incorrect' alcohol to drink. Just track it and log it. And watch out for the allure of the drive-thrus on the way home from drinking. It's the stuff you eat while your 'under the influence' that's more likely to blow your calorie goal for the day!

Happy Halloween!