Struggling to lose more weight after maintaining

Options
I am presently trying to lose a few pounds, as I have been maintaining for about 6 months and because of a couple stints of traveling, I reached the top of my maintenance range, when I am way more comfortable being at or near the bottom of it. So, for the last month or so, I've been attempting to lose those darn few pounds and not getting too far. I've probably lost half a pound in that time. . . .

I track calories quite carefully and honestly, though perhaps part of the problem is that I've been logging the full time for some of my exercise activities when I sometimes suspect the calorie burn estimate MFP provides is a little high. I'm going to be more careful from now on-- won't be logging the full time period for many exercises. I do weigh and measure food, and rarely forget to log things.

The biggest problem is that I have also been finding it incredibly difficult to eat an amount that keeps me in even a small (200 calorie) deficit-- which is frustrating because when I lost all the weight before, it was not that hard to eat the same amount! Is there something about being in maintenance for a while that makes it way harder to lose weight again afterwards?!

Argh! Any insights, suggestions, or just commiseration are welcome!

Do I need to get a heart rate monitor or Fitbit to help track the exercise? I didn't seem to need one before, or while I maintained for 6 months. Ugh! Not sure what to do.

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Leptin levels will probably make you a little hungry when you go back to a deficit. That would potentially make it more difficult if you're feeling a tad peckish.

I would try to eat 50-75% of exercise calories instead of all of them and wait it out a few weeks and see where the weight trends.

After being in a maintenance intake, you should be in good shape to lose weight. It just comes down to finding that deficit amount
  • Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think the hardest thing for me is staying in the correct deficit long enough to adjust to it so I no longer feel hungry. More self-control is necessary, along with more vegetables and soups I guess!
  • 21million
    21million Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I feel the same! I can only get on track if I don't eat til late on the first day. Second day I am in complete control. Weird, but, hey! Worth a shot :)
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I agree about not eating 100% of the MFP calories - I think they are way too generous. As far as a fitbit - I had the flex and hated it. It really only measures steps (and not very accurate at that). Make sure you are getting enough protein and fats - they keep you full longer. And, I agree more veggies give you more food at very few calories. Congrats and your loss and good luck with your continued maintenance.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Oh, I feel your pain. I've been on maintenance for a while but was still losing. I wanted to gain back a little bit but went a smidgen too far. I'm now trying to get back to my happy place and it's very difficult. I wear my fitbit 24/7 and use an HRM for cardio. It all comes down to finding and keeping the motivation and self-control. Wish you the best of luck... you are not alone!
  • Linnaea27
    Options
    Hmm, that's an interesting strategy-- not eating at all until late the first day of trying to lose. I would try it except that my blood sugar seems to be super sensitive to whether or not I eat, and I would feel really awful fasting. . . .

Also, good to know about the Fitbit. They are soon coming out with one that is also a heart rate monitor, but it is pricey and I'm a poor grad student! I guess I need to think harder about how to get good protein-- I got sloppy with that while maintaining I think.
  • Linnaea27
    Options
    just4nessa, that sounds exactly like what happened to me! I lost to where I wanted to be, started to maintain, lost several more pounds, thought I was too thin at the time. So I gained a little back, and stayed there, and then went traveling in fall (traveling is bad food-wise in the first place, but the season makes it worse because I get extra hungry!). And ended up getting a little more pudge than I want. I just want this belly gone!!!
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Most people overeat when they try to "eat back" exercise calories. You could try going by the TDEE method but be careful not to set your activity level too high. That way you would eat the same amount daily, I find that easier to keep track of progress. I've always used that method.

Also, you said that it has been only a month since you have decreased your calories. I'm not sure if you remember how it was to start your weight loss but I'm pretty sure you didn't lose all ten pounds in one month. It takes time, you said you were in maintenance but since you have increased in weight I would say it were not, you were eating slightly above mainenance and slowly increased in weight.

So, that is what I would do. Go to: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/ and input your info there, I do resistance training 2-3 times a week and consider myself active but I only put in 1-3 hours of light exercise and that number works well for me. Once you get a number stick with that for about 6 weeks and see how it goes. Then adjust.

Good luck!