9 Reasons to Try the Indoor Rowing Machine

Options

Replies

• jeaben0130
    jeaben0130 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Can anyone suggest a good, affordable machine under $500.00?
  • cw106
    cw106 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    informative article and thread.
    recommended to the rowing machine by PT as good full body cardio.
    seems like a good steer!
  • Icandoityayme
    Icandoityayme Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I love love love row machines. I wish I had one. I would be on that thing constantly. It may burn calories, which is good, but I like doing it just for the fun of it.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    It's a great piece of equipment - just wish people would learn how to row properly and really get the benefits.
    There are some really good training tips and video on the Concept2 website.

Agreed, the major crew universities in the northeast states have videos posted by the coaches that are really good too.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Rower is my favourite bit of cardio and the one that I use exclusively. I am surprised that most people at the gym only do 5-10minutes on it. Its quite hard work and can be incredibly boring though as its quite unrelenting when doing extended times i.e more than 45 minutes. The monitor gives loads of information which you cna focus on.

If starting make sure you have the right resistance setting and you should always focus on form to be at your most efficient, but also if your form is wrong then you will be repeating that mostake housands of time which means you could injure yourself.

The concept2 site has good videos on correct form.
  • margannmks
    margannmks Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I use the rower for my warmup also 10-15 min. At the y i go to they are facing a mirror and in the reflection is the weight lifting area, squat racks, i can watch and see when squat rack is open and the other people lifting, its just hard to stay on it longer cause i wanna go lift.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    jeaben0130 wrote: »

No. If you're going to purchase one you need to invest in it; Concept 2 or WaterRower. Lower cost rowers don't have the same consistency of action, which can lead to jerkiness and exacerbate the injury risk.

• DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I recently purchased a Concept2 Model E. Even with 3 additional "but pads", It was actually less expensive than my Sole treadmill (which I got on sale at the time).

What an incredible workout! I personally had to ensure I spent the first handful of workouts at a slower pace to focus on proper technique and form. Now it seems to be engrained but I find I'm constantly aware of it throughout. There are many resources available to provide insights on this including the Concept2 site.

At my personal steady pace, I can't endure much more than 30 minutes straight on the machine, but that's coming off of 60-80 minutes on a vigorous treadmill workout as well. Not sure how long I could go if I didn't do the treadmill workout beforehand.

Anyways.. if you are looking for an all over workout - the rower has made a convert out of me. I'm now using it 3-4 times per week.

Best part? No electrical cord/outlet needed.

Highly recommend the Concept2 brand. High quality, easy to assemble and easy to store if need be.

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I use it to help give me a lean look (although it is mostly cardio) and give my body an entire workout Put my headphones on with my favorite music and go for 30 mins min.
  • snbouchard81
    snbouchard81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this article. I have been using the rowing machine as part of my warm up for strength training because it used the whole body, but now I am thinking maybe I should use it more. :smile:
  • Tortitudekitty
    Tortitudekitty Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    There are 4 Concept rowing machines at my gym and they are so lonely!

I love this kit and use it as a warm-up; typically 2km in around 11 minutes which burns me +/-100 calories.
    It's actually quite relaxing in a strange way, especially if you use good form and don't snatch the movement.

Great for HIIT too....at least you can flop in the little seat afterwards, lol!

Put on some good sounds and away you go! B)
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I need to get more into longer rows over the winter. I warm up with 500 m before most of my regular workouts. I love that you get such a great workout with rowing without the jarring impact of running.
  • abuck_13
    abuck_13 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    If you have never used the machine before, definitely check out this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wolH04ZHJEA

Richard is the inclusion manager for USA Rowing, so he knows his stuff and will show you the proper form
  • abuck_13
    Options
    youtube.com/watch?v=wolH04ZHJEA

Link for the video if you don't want to watch it in the window - didn't realize it would do that!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    jeaben0130 wrote: »

No. If you're going to purchase one you need to invest in it; Concept 2 or WaterRower. Lower cost rowers don't have the same consistency of action, which can lead to jerkiness and exacerbate the injury risk.

Id agree with this try both. Concept has a good resale value and is well built.
  • Telsera
    Telsera Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I'm recovering from an ankle injury. I can put weight on it, just not flex it much. Would this be ankle friendly? Obviously I would need to get the OK from my doctor first, but being unable to workout much is driving me crazy. I'm still strength training, but I miss having some good cardio to do. My gym has an arm bike but its awkward and in a strange place at the gym. I feel so weird using it, and I don't get to use my legs at all.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    I love the rowing machine, I wish I could have one at home, and could row out on the water.
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Rowing is my second favorite thing to do while I'm at the gym. Love it!
  • DM01234
    DM01234 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    abuck_13 wrote: »
    If you have never used the machine before, definitely check out this video:

Richard is the inclusion manager for USA Rowing, so he knows his stuff and will show you the proper form

Thank you for posting this... Saved it for one additional resource on the topic.

• abuck_13
    Options
    Telsera wrote: »
    I'm recovering from an ankle injury. I can put weight on it, just not flex it much. Would this be ankle friendly? Obviously I would need to get the OK from my doctor first, but being unable to workout much is driving me crazy. I'm still strength training, but I miss having some good cardio to do. My gym has an arm bike but its awkward and in a strange place at the gym. I feel so weird using it, and I don't get to use my legs at all.

The nice thing about rowing is that you can do all sorts of things. With ankle problems, you can just do the final pulls if you have no ankle flex, or you could go quarter or half depending on how much flex you have.