HELP ME FIX MY BOOTY!

I have lost over 50 pounds without exercising (I regret it!) I want to tone and lift my butt. Will squats and walking lunges help me out? I will do these exercises with weights (two 5lb Dumbbells). If you have any other workout suggestions I will be glad to hear you out.

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• Sarahliquid
    Sarahliquid Posts: 201 Member
    Squats are great. Back lunges are even better than front, and weighted glute bridges and donkey kicks are amazing.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    All those exercises are great. But to some extent, we have the derrière shapes that we inherited from our parents. Thank you, mom!
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Go look up Bret Contreras, aka "The Glute Guy". He's written a book called Strong Curves that has quite a focus on the butt. I got it from my library but he has lots of info on his website.
  • TrailRunnermn
    TrailRunnermn Posts: 105 Member
    Go look up Bret Contreras, aka "The Glute Guy". He's written a book called Strong Curves that has quite a focus on the butt. I got it from my library but he has lots of info on his website.

What she said. The majority of people have stronger quads than hamstrings. The quads can take over many movements (like the squat) while the glutes are just secondary movers, although they should be the prime movers. As mentioned above, glute bridges and donkey kickbacks are great. Dimel Deadlifts (Youtube it) are also really good at hitting the glutes and building explosive power in the hips.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    If you didn't exercise, your whole body probably needs "toning". Any good full-body strength program works the glutes properly and will give you results, so that's what i recommend. Popular programs here are NROL4W and Stronglifts. With any program, expect results in months, not weeks, so be patient. Also, you will soon need much heavier weight than 5 lbs.

• jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Squats. But use heavier weights, like a barbell, if you have access to one.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Squats and lunges are great but adding a program that incorporates more exercises and more than 5 pound weights will be best. 5 pound weights are not going to help you much.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    Ahhhh you are in my boat. I've being doing strong curves and my favorite zuzkalight.com for awhile for cardio. Focus on your nutrition make sure you cut to lose fat. Strong curves really has been an inspirational program for me. Bret and zuzka have been great help
  • lunges, glute bridge, hip adductor- rear, side, standing, on floor and on bench, bench step ups, -all these either without weight or using weights, bands or machine resistance.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Stronglifts 5X5... you probably need more than just glute work.