green smoothies!

Options
I've not really been feeling so hot for the past few days and thought maybe I needed a boost. I just made a green smoothie with about 4 strawberries, 1/2 a kiwi, a handful of spinach, some avocado, pineapple tidbits, water & flax meal. It was my first green smoothie and was pretty tasty. (I wished the flax would have mixed in a bit better, though.)
Who else drinks green smoothies & what are their favorite variations (with nutritional facts, please!)? Any tips on how to get flax meal to mix in more smoothly?

Replies

• JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I've been wanting to try this out.....I just can't seem to find one I really like....
  • youngtweezy
    youngtweezy Posts: 183
    Options
    I've been wanting to do it, too, but put it off until today. I just threw pretty much all of my leftover fruit in the blender with my spinach. :P
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Fresh fruit or frozen??
  • youngtweezy
    Options
    Fresh. I don't have any frozen at the moment. I think frozen might have worked just as well.
  • FullOfSpice
    FullOfSpice Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    My favorite is Spinach + Kiwi + Green Apples or Spinach + Green Apple + Tangerine....Only thing is the high sugar content from the fruit is too much. I find that sugar from fruit still makes me bloated. I've also tried putting celery and parsley in with apples and spinach and that tastes pretty good as well.
  • Peep_chic
    Peep_chic Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Edit Recipe

Calories Carbs Fat Fiber Sugar Sodium
    Spring Valley - Organic Flax Oil , 1 teaspoon 45 0 5 0 0 0
    Water - Municipal, 2 cup (8 fl oz) 0 0 0 0 0 9
    Great Value - Whole Strawberries (Frozen), 1 Cup (140g) 50 13 0 3 9 5
    Generic - Collard Greens Raw, Fresh, 28 g 9 2 0 1 0 5
    Organic Golden Delicious Apples (In Grams), 62 g 32 9 0 2 6 0
    Raw Kale - In Grams, 18 g 9 2 0 0 0 8

Total: 145 26 5 6 15 27
    Per Serving:

A little coppy paste for ya. I weigh my food. I found its a bit more accurate.
    Flax oil has great benefits and
    you wont have the texture. If I feel it needs to be sweeter I add splenda.
    There are so many variations you can make. I sometimes add unsweetened cocoa
    among other things.

oops numbers look like a mess. Over all is 145 calories, 26 carbs, 5 fat, 6 fiber, 15 sugar, 27 sodium
  • youngtweezy
    Options
    Flax oil has great benefits and you wont have the texture.

I'll have to try that after I use up my bag of flax meal. Thanks!
  • HuffHesitation
    Options
    Try Bolthouse Farms Green Goodness. It had fruits and vegtables and a bunch of other all natural stuff in one bottle and its delicious. Its like $5 for a half gallon and they have it in most grocery stores.
  • youngtweezy
    Options
    I like Naked's Green Machine (I work at Starbucks so I get a discount on it), but I'd prefer not to buy anything pre-packaged.
  • lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    LOVE green smoothies! My favorites are fairly plain, made one today with baby spinach, watermelon, water and ice. So good. I also like to add spinach to protein powder and water shakes. Coconut water, frozen berries and spinach is good too.
  • quoyle
    quoyle Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I just started having green smoothies. I have been wanting a super duper blender like vitamix or blendtec for a while to do green smoothies and didn't think my kitchen aid blender would do them. I tried and it worked pretty well. I just did a simple one of one pear and a handful of spinach and water. It was way tastier than I was expecting. I also tried 1/2 apple, 1/4 mango, handful of beet greens and water and that was yummy too. The raw food folks say as long as you do 60% fruit and 40% greens then you can do any combo really. Frozen banana would make things creamier and sweeter but I am trying to stay to mostly low gi fruit. Cheers to energy!