Lost it all, then gained again

Options
Hi, I started using MFP about 2 years ago and never missed a day. I stayed under my daily calorie goal and worked out at home on my exercise bike and to walk off the pounds dvd. I was so happy when I got thin.... I was 97kg ( 213 lbs. ) and got down to 49kg ( 107 lbs. ). I am now 61kg ( 134 lbs. ) I was almost 64kg but have got some off. I never thought I would gain ever again, I had never lost all the weight before just small amounts but this time it was different and I felt great. being thin was the best feeling ever, I felt so comfortable and when I sat down I still had a flat stomach. So here I am after over eating for the last year thinking id never gain hahaha stupid hay. So anyone else done this ( lost it all then gained quite a lot back ). I am slowly getting back on track but I didn't want to do this twice and yet here I am. I have to lose 11kg ( 24 lbs. ) :s

Replies

• wendyg311
    wendyg311 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Oh YES......I lost 70 lbs...gained back 70 lbs. Kept it off for 4 years. Gained it back during the happiest years of my life. ?? Don't know why, and now I can't get back on track
  • MoeHameed
    MoeHameed Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Everyone can gain the weight they lost if they stopped eating right and working out. You should make it a lifestyle and not just a temporary diet.
  • RedArizona5
    RedArizona5 Posts: 465 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sorry you gained :( but you can't over eat and expect to not gain weight. 134 isn't bad Im around 145 maybe more I don't really use the scale because I want to see if I can not fixiate my focus so much on numbers. I want to be strong and healthy and thus happy. Uh i bet it was nice to be 107 I mean if your not strength training its not going to help with much….you can do cardio only but you will always need to do more of the cardio ifu want to lose and keep off…and depriving yourself probably didn't help-i bet you didn't get their of 1,500 calorie diet…unless your short….i mean at least 1,300 but thats really pushing things. Based on TDEE anyways the more your active the more you should allow yourself to eat so now your body is in hyper drive to get sustenance…your not a troller are you??btw
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Anybody? Most.

"Nearly 65 percent of dieters return to their pre-dieting weight within three years, according to Gary Foster, Ph.D., clinical director of the Weight and Eating Disorders Program at the University of Pennsylvania." (link)

Welcome back. This time make some changes to help it stick. Don't make it a weight-loss program, make it a lifestyle-change program.
  • besaro
    besaro Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    you are catching it early!
  • cherrychoc67
    cherrychoc67 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    thanks guys, my problem wasn't really eating too much I ate the wrong foods ( again ) I am bad for chocolate and yes I stopped working out, I know why I gained you don't have to be a rocket scientist to know if you don't burn it off it goes to fat. I am only 5'1 so rather short. I do under 900 calories a day. That's how I lost it all and I am back to doing under 900 cal again. Its not that hard if you know what foods to pick. I have decided this time though that 1 da a fortnight I wont count calories, I will be having a free day. I wont be eating like mad but I will have a subway for tea plus a cherry ripe bar, I think by doing this I will learn a little more self control but still have my chocolate.
  • cherrychoc67
    edited October 2014
    Options
    sorry you gained :( but you can't over eat and expect to not gain weight. 134 isn't bad Im around 145 maybe more I don't really use the scale because I want to see if I can not fixiate my focus so much on numbers. I want to be strong and healthy and thus happy. Uh i bet it was nice to be 107 I mean if your not strength training its not going to help with much….you can do cardio only but you will always need to do more of the cardio ifu want to lose and keep off…and depriving yourself probably didn't help-i bet you didn't get their of 1,500 calorie diet…unless your short….i mean at least 1,300 but thats really pushing things. Based on TDEE anyways the more your active the more you should allow yourself to eat so now your body is in hyper drive to get sustenance…your not a troller are you??btw

why would I troll?
  • pinksyringes
    pinksyringes Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Surround yourself with people who eat just as healthy as you and it will be easier to keep the lbs off. The exact same thing happened to me. I'm 5'1, I was like 130lbs, got down to 110lbs and then I gained it all back. Whomp whomp. I blame college.
  • MoeHameed
    Options
    You may think that you were not overeating but its obvious that if you stop working out your calorie your daily needs would be less than before plus non healthy foods have a lot more calories and sugars than healthy ones
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Oh no, nobody's ever done that...it never happens... ;)
    And if you buy that, I got some ocean front property in Arizona.
    From my front porch you can see the sea.
    Seriously, I have failed like that over and over...and so you learn, gather energy and start again. The road to success is paved with the stones of failure.
    We all have setbacks. Just keep going. The ability to get back up is what separates a winner from a loser. You're here, up and running the race!
    Welcome Back!
    (*)
  • cherrychoc67
    Options
    yep I know, like I said I know why I gained I am just angry at myself for doing it, maintaining wasn't hard for me but my husband kept saying I was too skinny so I stopped working out.
    You may think that you were not overeating but its obvious that if you stop working out your calorie your daily needs would be less than before plus non healthy foods have a lot more calories and sugars than healthy ones

• MoeHameed
    Options
    gypsy wrote: »
    yep I know, like I said I know why I gained I am just angry at myself for doing it, maintaining wasn't hard for me but my husband kept saying I was too skinny so I stopped working out.
    Well welcome back and good luck losing the weight again
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Hi, I hate to say this, but I think your calories are too low.
    That is something I rarely say as I too am 5'1 and know that us short lightweights have a hard time loosing with the 1200 min calorie intake.
    About 4-5 years ago I was 128-130 and worked towards a weekly total of 8400 cal, (rarely ate that much but tried) it took close to a year but I got down to the 102lb that I wanted to be and have maintained it with an allowed 5 lb slide since then. I have kept my weight for so long between 102 & 106 that I can't remember exactly how many years it has been.
    All that was said to encourage you to up your calories by 100-150 a day and try to get in about 45-60 min exercise a day to help burn the extra calories and reshape your body.
    I do aqua fit 3 x week at 193 cal and then weights or Pilates 2 x week.

My avatar is my after pic but there is a before on my page if you want to see the change.

Keep up the calorie counting and add back the exercise. You can do it again.
    Cheers, h.
  • nenamartinez
    nenamartinez Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    You're nipping it in the bud!! 24 pounds is NOTHING compared to what you lost before! Don't beat yourself up.

I've heard that weighing yourself daily can help prevent re-gaining weight. If you set a "Red flag" weigh that you absolutely don't let yourself go above-- if you hit that weight, you go back to counting calories again until you get back on track.

Good luck, you can do it!!
  • cherrychoc67
    Options
    Thanks everyone, yes I am back on track now and have the calorie counting back on track also. I feel like I failed but I know I haven't let it go so far that it cant be fixed without taking forever ( again ). I will be 48 in the middle of feb so I am aiming to be back down to my goal weight by then or close to it at least by a few kg. I am 61kg ( 134 lbs. ) and I really think the weight I got down to was too skinny 49kg ( 107 lbs. ) people said I looked skeletal, my boobs were empty and I had no bum at all ( really it was gone, just flat ) so I am thinking my " happy weight " that seems to suit my build is about 53kg ( 116.6 lbs. ) So I am aiming to get down to that and stay between 51kg 54kg. That will be my maintaining weight. o:)
  • lisabinco
    lisabinco Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Three times for me. I lost between 45-60 pounds each time. Gained it all back within three years all three times. So mad at myself for doing that. But why would I expect that falling back into bad eating habits would be different each time? Duh! So for this fourth attempt, I have made it a lifestyle change I can live with, and in the process, converted hubby to healthier eating as well. Much easier when we both share a common goal. I don't ever want to see those pounds again! I weigh myself almost every day just to keep myself in check. It's too easy to fool myself; weighing keeps me truthful. As does logging every day.
  • 31st_Proverbs
    31st_Proverbs Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Three times for me also. Lost about 45 pounds--gained back with tax included. Lost 100ish--gained back with tax included. Lost 120--gained all that back. This time I'm determined that it will be different because I'm not "dieting" like before. First time I limited my calories to 1200 a day. Second time I ate ONLY fruits and vegetables for 13 months--not even dressing on my salad. Third time I started on a strict diet called rotation diet where you change up you intake from as low as 600 a day to as high as 1800 a day. Lost very good on that but on my 600 calorie days I had ton's of diet coke to cover the hunger pains. Then I switched to the Adkins diet at the end and just spun my wheels for several months. This time I'm trying to limit myself to 1800 calories but added exercise. I'm totally increasing my water intake from a cup or 2 a day to 12 cups a day. I'm avoiding all artificial sweeteners and with the exception of my cottage cheese, I get full fat version of everything including my milk. I'm really focusing on trying to get my potassium, calcium, and protein quota for the day and just by doing that I am forced to make really healthy food choices--no room for chips nor desserts.
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Heck, I yo-yoed up and down for about 30 years! But I am putting a stop to that. When I hit my goal weight this time, I am going to keep my good habits and my lifestyle change. I never want to go through this again. It's just too hard!
  • QueenE_
    QueenE_ Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! My weight has been bouncing around.
  • _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I did the same... twice... I went from over 175lbs to 147.25lbs... back to 172lbs down to 147.25lbs... then back up to 172lbs... I then managed to get down to 141.5 lbs (finally broke the 147lb barrier!) in the middle of August! I really am a yo-yo!

I've now been steadily about 145lbs since the middle of September following my wedding and honeymoon and loss of motivation afterwards. Important thing is that this time I managed not to gain! My UGW is 128lbs, but my goal for this year was to get under 140lbs so I really need to end this maintenance!

It is definitely about making it a lifestyle and not a diet. The first time I lost weight it was a diet, the second time it was lifestyle changes, I just didn't keep them up. This third time it's lifestyle changes and even since I've been maintaining I haven't been doing no exercise, just less exercise, and for the most part I've been eating well with the occasional bad few day streak. So my lifestyle changes have stuck and I can just up the intensity to lose weight rather than starting over :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!