Really struggling

Options
2»

Replies

• daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Change your thoughts of exercise and you will change the way you percieve exercise to affect you.
  • deb54
    deb54 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I agree with Pudnyn 1... I have been on here since Dec 2010 and lost 60+ lbs in 2011... Kept it off until last year ( hurt my knee ) have regained 30 lbs ... Hate myself and have no motivation to work out !!! I am determined tho ... Monday starts a 90 day workout challenge ( and better eating ) ... Wish me luck ... I will be incorporating more strength training this time around... You CAN DO THIS ... And SO CAN I !!!
  • deb54
    Options
    Go to Fat2Fitradio.com ... They have tons of stuff about eating more to lose more !!!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Have you considered switching up your exercise? If you are bored to tears with what you are doing, try something else. Are you doing this at home or a gym? If at home, go for a really long brisk walk or run. Find a pool and swim laps. If at a gym, go on the treadmill or elliptical. Take a spinning class.

I agree with adjusting your calories to fit better with your stature and activity level, and rethink your weekly weight loss goal. Slow and steady may be a PITA for impatient people (like me) but it is better in the long run. Also, plateaus will happen. I just jumped off a 3 week one.

58841349.png
  • earth_echo
    earth_echo Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Body weight is determined by diet; fitness by exercise. If you're goal is to lose weight, focus on your diet. Forcing yourself to do something you hate, won't work for long. It's a recipe for failure. Too many people quit trying to lose weight simply because they can't keep up with their exercise routine. Don't let that be you. Focus on your diet, eat at a deficit. You will lose weight. If in the future you want to improve your fitness, gain muscle mass, etc. then restart your exercise routine. It's still healthier to be be thin and out of shape then fat and out of shape.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I've lost 34lbs total and fairly fast but for the last week I have been really struggling, not with the food but with exercise, I dread it now and I hate every minute of it while I'm doing it. Before this week I enjoyed it in a perverse way, the pain felt good but not anymore, now I'm just sick of being sore. Plus I only lost 1lb this week which just didn't seem worth the effort, previously I'd lost 12lbs the last two weeks combined so I definitely crashed back to earth this week.

I guess this is something everyone goes through when losing a significant amount of weight and I hope I can snap out of it soon, I really need my motivation back. It just feels like I'm really losing the mental war right now.
    Are you taking a break from it all every week?
    Sometimes we just need time off to rest and recover. And ease up on the weight loss. 1 pound per week should be a good goal for you in this effort. Sure, you could lose faster, but what would be the quality of that?
    You'd lose too much muscle which further slows metabolism. and once you finally reach your weight goal...guess what? You look and feel bad, and the weight starts piling back on in most cases. Don't be that person.
    Remember, this is not a race.
    GOOD LUCK!
  • donnamwebb39
    donnamwebb39 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I struggle with motivation as well. What I did this last time was to change my workout routine. Doing the same thing day in and day out was boring. So I change up my workout, and it isn't so bland. The weight will come off, sometimes your body just needs a chance to adjust to what you are doing. Don't give up!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Well another week, another weigh in and I lost nothing, nada. Now I'm really depressed. It took a lot of effort to continue working out this week and once again I got no result.

Weight loss isn't linear, and the closer you get to your goal, the more fluctuations you'll have. Here's my MFP chart showing my weekly weigh-ins from last December through February:

mfp-chart.png

Here's a chart showing my actual daily weights (blue diamonds) and exponentially smoothed moving average from the same period:

chart-20131127-to-20140227.png

Note that except around the holidays, when I was logging but not aiming for a deficit, my daily weights were usually below the moving average, indicating I was losing weight. But there was quite a bit of fluctuation from day to day, and some Mondays (when I log my weight on MFP), I was heavier than the previous week. Did that mean that the week's effort was in vain? No, it simply meant that I was retaining more water and solid waste that week than the week before. And sure enough, in a week or two it was gone.

You can only measure results in the long run. And as John Walker points out in The Hacker's Diet (free online), the problem with weekly weigh-ins is that, if your weight happens to fluctuate up on weigh-in day, it can be really demoralizing. That's why he recommends a daily weigh-in, with the moving average to identify trends.
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your support and advice. I've decided to take next week off from exercise to rest my body and mind, I will also try and eat more.
  • deb54
    Options
    Best of luck on your weight loss journey Steve !
  • wmcmurray61
    wmcmurray61 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Steve, I lost ALL of my weight, except for the first 5 lbs, at a rate of 1 lb a week. I am a slow loser. Part of that was intentional. I knew that if I went slowly that I would have the best chance of keeping the weight off and that it would help me adopt a healthy lifestyle. I used to weigh 206 lbs. I am 7 lbs from my goal of 140. I expect it to take another 2 months before I go into maintainence. At first, I was VERY impatient. I wanted it done yesterday. But then I realized that it was totally up to me. It had to be a decision that I made, to change the way I live my life. It took me 30 years to gain the weight and I had to undo bad habits that developed over all that time and adopt new habits to replace them. But they HAVE become just that. Habits. Now getting up on my treadmill, even when I feel like crap, is just like brushing my teeth. Just something I have to do, to keep myself alive and happy and pain free. Don't give up. Take a little break, love yourself and keep going. You can do it. I did it and I used to be a broken down alkie and addict with every health problem you can imagine, held together by pins and rods and duct tape. I am alive! I am healthy! It isn't magic. It is grit and gumption. You have more of that than you know. We ALL do. Peace.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Just remember, the pounds is just 1 of 2500 reasons you are doing this. If you get a flat tire, do you slash the other 3 and toss your spare over a cliff? Or do you correct the problem and keep going?
  • SteveMFP123
    SteveMFP123 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to let you all know that the scale has finally started to move again. This week I ate more as suggested and I took a week off from exercise and I lost 4lbs! It's been weeks since I had a good loss and I'm so happy. That's 38lbs total with about the same to go.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Yay!!
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I've lost 34lbs total and fairly fast but for the last week I have been really struggling, not with the food but with exercise, I dread it now and I hate every minute of it while I'm doing it. Before this week I enjoyed it in a perverse way, the pain felt good but not anymore, now I'm just sick of being sore. Plus I only lost 1lb this week which just didn't seem worth the effort, previously I'd lost 12lbs the last two weeks combined so I definitely crashed back to earth this week.

I guess this is something everyone goes through when losing a significant amount of weight and I hope I can snap out of it soon, I really need my motivation back. It just feels like I'm really losing the mental war right now.
    are you doing something you enjoy? Or are you doing something you loathe when you exercise? Might as well find something you really enjoy like bike riding, basket ball, etc. and do that then something you dread. I've not read this whole thread so apologies if this is a repeat response. :)

Good luck!

• 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    Good to hear Steve. Wishing you continued success and happy eating (with your new bonus calories)
  • medic07
    medic07 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I go through cycles of struggling with the exercise there are some days I completely hate it but push through-I sometimes switch up the order of which I do things just so it isn't so boring and repetitive. I also once in a while just take one day off and the next day I am ready to go. I don't know if this would help but good luck with your weight loss!