What do you do with leftover oatmeal?

Options
I made too much and I don't wanna throw it out! Should I put it in a Tupperware and leave it in the fridge for later?

Replies

• Pangui
    Pangui Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I love leftover oatmeal. On the weekends, I make about three servings of steel cut oats and then store the extra for later in the week. When I reheat it in the microwave, I add a little almond milk to improve the consistency.
  • Shanna_Inc86
    Shanna_Inc86 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    I do....when I re-heat it, I add a little milk so it doesn't end up too dry
  • Mmmary212
    Mmmary212 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    ::shudder:: lol some things are not leftover usable (to me).
  • MissMarthaGrace
    MissMarthaGrace Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I put it in the fridge to reheat at another time.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    Ummmm feed it to the dog? LOL just kidding since I'm not a big oatmeal fan other than in cookies of course.
  • fuzzycop
    Options
    Ugh! It's hard enough to eat that stuff when it's fresh, much less left over! I have a special drain in the kitchen for that. It's labeled: "Disposal".
  • CalorieSlaying
    Options
    throw it away...
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    If you have kids... you can make muffins or a quick bread with left over oatmeal (I say kids cause mine love that stuff).... its surprisingly good!
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    WTF is a leftover?
  • poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I reheat mine for breakfast the next day. If I forget to eat it, I'll use it in meatloaf or turkey meatballs.
  • llm12
    llm12 Posts: 49
    Options
    I make oatmeal shakes with it. Add a banana, skim milk, ice, and cinnamon. It tastes great. You can also freeze it to make shakes later.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    My dog STALKS me in the a.m. when I eat my oatmeal. He loves it! LOL. He knows when we hears the microwave open it's on!
    haha
    :laugh:
    Ummmm feed it to the dog? LOL just kidding since I'm not a big oatmeal fan other than in cookies of course.
  • CathiAnne
    CathiAnne Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Slice it, fry it, and pour a little sugar free syrup on it! YUM. We used to make extra oatmeal on purpose, put it in a soup can for molding purposes, cut off the other end, push out the oatmeal, slice, fry, and eat. Very, very good. You can "fry" with a little cooking spray.
  • mallorybriann
    mallorybriann Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    The only thing I have leftover is fat lol
    WTF is a leftover?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    Use it as glue for gingerbread houses.
  • wrevhn
    wrevhn Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i'm sure if you really wanted to save it you could probably google and get some ideas. maybe incorporate it into something else like breakfast muffins or something.

i personally am no good with leftovers. sometimes i feel wasteful so i'll save them. and i feel better with them rotting in my fridge instead of the garbage cause we just do not eat leftovers really. its silly. i'd be better off tossing them at the begining rather than having to "clean out" my fridge every two weeks of ancient forgotton foods.
  • Eserra0510
    Eserra0510 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I purposely make larger than I need for one person batches of steel cut oatmeal because it takes a while to cook. Mostly I do it in the crockpot before I go to bed. The leftovers I store in the fridge for use on other days for breakfast. just add a little milk, almond milk or coconut milk to your serving before you microwave it. Great quick meal before going out in the morning--healthy, filling and the time consuming part is taken care of. There are a lot of recipes available on the internet for left over oatmeal as well to change things up. I'm making oatmeal pancakes this morning for instance.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    fuzzycop wrote: »
    Ugh! It's hard enough to eat that stuff when it's fresh, much less left over! I have a special drain in the kitchen for that. It's labeled: "Disposal".

Thank you! So many oatmeal posts and breakfast posts talking about all the crap people put in their oatmeal. I don't hate it but come on...I don't get the fascination.
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    patching holes in sheetrock?

Seriously, cream some egg and sugar together, mix that with the oatmeal, toss in some chopped nuts, raisins, and a 1/2 tsp of baking powder and bake those oatmeal cookies in a preheated oven.

Dry oatmeal works extremely well in meatloaf instead of breadcrumbs. As long as it's plain cooked oatmeal (not sweetened), it should work just as well for that. I'd add an extra egg to account for the aded water and firm it up a bit, but a healthy meatloaf (oatmeal & extra egg) isn't a bad idea. - especially with those oatmeal cookies for dessert ;-)