Heart Rate Monitors and treadmills

Options
Di3012
Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
I want to purchase a heart rate monitor but there are a couple of things I am not sure about and my head is now spinning trying to google info, hoping somebody here can help.

I need an HRM that counts calories and can be used whilst I am on the treadmill.

I have heard that some HRMs will not work properly if near electronic equipment (such as treadmills). Also, not all HRMs count calories do they?

Replies

• dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I've heard of HRM"s not working properly when near electric equipment but I've never experienced that myself and I've had an HRM for almost 10 months. I think it's mainly the cheap ones that don't have a coded signal to the strap that runs into that issue.

All HRM's do count calories as this is a real popular feature.. how well the count calories depends on the brands. Cheaper ones tend to be worse at estimating calories then one that costs more. Also chest strap HRM's will be more accurate then watch only HRM's.

I personally recommend Polar.. FT4 or FT7. Both are easy to use, calorie counting HRM"s that will be accurate at estimating calories.
  • Di3012
    Options
    I've heard of HRM"s not working properly when near electric equipment but I've never experienced that myself and I've had an HRM for almost 10 months. I think it's mainly the cheap ones that don't have a coded signal to the strap that runs into that issue.

All HRM's do count calories as this is a real popular feature.. how well the count calories depends on the brands. Cheaper ones tend to be worse at estimating calories then one that costs more. Also chest strap HRM's will be more accurate then watch only HRM's.

I personally recommend Polar.. FT4 or FT7. Both are easy to use, calorie counting HRM"s that will be accurate at estimating calories.

Thanks!!

Have you used the FT4 when on a treadmill?
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The HRM that I use is picked up by the treadmill (the treadmill at the gym has a little sticker on it that even says will pick up heart rate monitor straps) so I can see my heart rate without looking at the wristband. I also check both and compare to make sure it's reading right. I have heard and read that sometimes if your HRM is on the same wavelength or something as another one, like walkie talkies, that it can read someone elses numbers.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Thanks!!

No, but I have used the FT7 with no issues on a treadmill many times.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    If you have a common type of HRM -- such as a Polar, it's possible that your monitor can pick up someone else's heart rate if you are close to them. Many HRMs today have a solution for the proximity problem -- you hold your wrist with the watch on it up close to your strap and force it to pair. That usually works to get it to ignore other HRMs of the same brand that are in your proximity.

I would say start with an inexpensive Polar. I use Garmin because it uploads my data to a MAC - Polar does not have a MAC interface, but it will upload to a PC (I think!).
  • Di3012
    Options
    Ahh thanks everybody. I have a treadmill indoors, so I wouldn't be near other people, just on my lonesome.

Much appreciated :flowerforyou:
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    There are several issues here.

No matter what HRM you select, it is not accurate, including the higher end ones, The variation can be as much as 20%. The same goes for the build in HRM in the treadmill.

Every HRM and fitness website use a different formula so you will find a variance between the HRM and the website you use. You will only get accurate readings if you go to a lab and get an accurate reading done. Something which is cost prohibitive for a lot. Alternatively you can get a VO2-max and get a reasonable idea of your calorie consumption.

The question is - 'what should I do?' It is a matter of what your ultimate goal is. If you see yourself using the treadmill as the only cardio exercise, a regular HRM will suffice, and they come in many different price levels. If you see yourself get out and walk, run, bike, then you may want to consider a HRM with a GPS so you can analyze your workouts.

I have a Garmin and I am using the http://connect.garmin.com to analyze my runs and bike rides. I also have a Polar HRM with HR, max- min- avg HR I found on sale. I use that with the treadmill - and have never experienced any interference.

I hope that helps - if you have specific questions - feel free to send me a mail.
  • Di3012
    Options
    There are several issues here.

No matter what HRM you select, it is not accurate, including the higher end ones, The variation can be as much as 20%. The same goes for the build in HRM in the treadmill.

Every HRM and fitness website use a different formula so you will find a variance between the HRM and the website you use. You will only get accurate readings if you go to a lab and get an accurate reading done. Something which is cost prohibitive for a lot. Alternatively you can get a VO2-max and get a reasonable idea of your calorie consumption.

The question is - 'what should I do?' It is a matter of what your ultimate goal is. If you see yourself using the treadmill as the only cardio exercise, a regular HRM will suffice, and they come in many different price levels. If you see yourself get out and walk, run, bike, then you may want to consider a HRM with a GPS so you can analyze your workouts.

I have a Garmin and I am using the http://connect.garmin.com to analyze my runs and bike rides. I also have a Polar HRM with HR, max- min- avg HR I found on sale. I use that with the treadmill - and have never experienced any interference.

I hope that helps - if you have specific questions - feel free to send me a mail.

ahh thanks! Very useful information :flowerforyou:
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options

Not all HRMs count calories. Most do but, not all. HRMs made by Polar numbered below 4 and Garmins in the 300s and lower do not.

If you go with a Polar or Garmin you'll be fine on a treadmill. The Timex I had didn't do well on electrical equipment. I'd recommend staying away from Sportline and Timex. The ones I've owned only lasted a year(ish). The Polar and Garmins I have now have been used like crazy for years and keep on going. You don't have to spend tons but, don't go too cheap either.
  • DrG3n3
    DrG3n3 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    The one I use takes my vo2 max into account, I've read that can be a little bit more accurate, but in the end it's all estimation.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    i have a polar ft4 and a lot of the gym equipment actually picks it up and shows me on the machine my accurate heart rate. it doesnt cause them to go wrong. Id go for a polar as a lot of gym equipment is designed to synch
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If you have a common type of HRM -- such as a Polar, it's possible that your monitor can pick up someone else's heart rate if you are close to them

Polars have a thing in them that only connect to your monitor and watch so that interference from other transmitters isnt possible
  • mike41french
    mike41french Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would say start with an inexpensive Polar. I use Garmin because it uploads my data to a MAC - Polar does not have a MAC interface, but it will upload to a PC (I think!).

I use a Polar FT80, as long as you have the wearlink transmitter it codes to the watch and you don't get cross-interferance. As someone above me said the Polar transmitters also send info to many of the brands of treadmills/ellipticals (my Gym uses Cybex).

I'm also a Mac user and the Polar watches do sync (at least in my experience through the dish) with a Mac, and you can also use the web-based app to store your exercise, track fitness etc. What you don't get on a Mac is the computer based software but really you only need the web-based one unless you are a very serious athlete.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    My HRM (Polar FT40) doesn't pick up other HRMs, but if I'm on a piece of equipment and am next to someone with a HRM, the machine I'm on seems to end up doing battle between theirs and mine. It's kind of weird. That said, at least my wrist unit doesn't get bothered.

I agree about Timex, though - had no help from that one, but my Polars have all been good.
  • lindalee0315
    lindalee0315 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Here are links to two websites I went to when I was searching for a new HRM. I was torn between a Garmin Forerunner and a Polar FT80. Ultimately, because of the way I exercise I selected the Polar, but I found these websites to be very helpful in making that determination. :

http://www.consumersearch.com/heart-rate-monitors/best-heart-rate-monitors

http://www.heartratemonitorblog.com/
  • lawson305
    lawson305 Posts: 103
    Options
    been using the Polar FT80 for a few days now, and despite the learning curve involved - I like having an accurate count of my calories burned and also love the feature which tells me when to start a new set when weight training -
  • kelrcasey
    kelrcasey Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    lindalee0315 -do you like your FT80? Trying to decide between the FT60 and Ft 80...
  • lawson305
    lawson305 Posts: 103
    Options
    lindalee0315 -do you like your FT80? Trying to decide between the FT60 and Ft 80...

I don't know much about the FT60 but I've been using the FT80 - it's wonderful if you lift weights. It will tell you exactly when to start a new set, and I love the calorie tracking aspect of it. I used to rely on the calories generated by clicking "strength training for 30 mins," etc. I am doing the C25K program too and have found the aerobic calorie count pretty good too. I doubt you could go wrong with either!
  • thefoodaddict
    thefoodaddict Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    dad106 wrote: »

Thanks!!

No, but I have used the FT7 with no issues on a treadmill many times.

My Polar FT4 synced with my tredmill today... it was weird. But it was my correct heart rate!