No sense of taste yet I keep eating

Options
Part of the mild brain damage I had due to going into cardiac arrest was losing my sense of taste. I can still tell sweet, salty, sour, etc., but no flavor at all.

Why then do I still keep eating crap? I get no real enjoyment out of it. Sometimes I really do hate food.

Replies

• z_bra
    z_bra Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter why you do it...just stop
  • jade2112
    jade2112 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    This is beyond eerie, but I had that exact thought as I was writing the op.

You're absolutely right.
  • lexie62208
    lexie62208 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    maybe subconsciously you think that you should be able to taste the food? I don't know how long ago you went into cardiac arrest, but it might just be your brain still remembers that food tastes good, so it says to eat.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Whether food tastes good or not, ingesting it into a hungry body invokes pleasure in us all.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    Because it is still food and makes you not hungry.

Losing weight has nothing to do with what you eat, jsut how much. Eat a bit below maintenance needs to lose weight and eat whatever you want. In my experience, this enables "healthy" eating pretty easily because food is no longer off limits, so I can actually enjoy eating EVERYTHING in true moderation.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If there is no enjoyment in food then it should be easier to moderate your quantities. Sometimes we just like to have something in our mouths, try gum.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    jade2112 wrote: »

You're absolutely right.

I think craving junk food is normal for most of us because it has carbs. Before I got off of sugar I never craved fat or protein but just stuff with a ton of carbs. I am not even sure if Taste is a factor when we are crashing because we need a carb fix.

• harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Losing weight has nothing to do with what you eat, jsut how much. Eat a bit below maintenance needs to lose weight and eat whatever you want. In my experience, this enables "healthy" eating pretty easily because food is no longer off limits, so I can actually enjoy eating EVERYTHING in true moderation.

Im sorry - but you can't live off chocolate & cake every day if its under your calorie limit and still lose weight in a healthy manner. What you eat definitely does matter.

Jade2112 - try to plan your meals ahead of time, and try to not purchase the foods that are deemed unhealthy - like chips/cookies/over-processed food

• shaun603
    shaun603 Posts: 75
    edited November 2014
    Options

Im sorry - but you can't live off chocolate & cake every day if its under your calorie limit and still lose weight in a healthy manner. What you eat definitely does matter.

Funny, I tried brining that up once and had a couple dozen knives thrown at me.

Anyways OP, interesting though about how you continue unhealthy eating habits even after you have no taste. Perhaps subconsciously your brain is still chasing the foods that you know taste good and used to satisfy you?
  • harlequin0318
    Options
    shaun603 wrote: »

Anyways OP, interesting though about how you continue unhealthy eating habits even after you have no taste. Perhaps subconsciously your brain is still chasing the foods that you know taste good and used to satisfy you?

Yea, people are really devoted to their salty & sweet treats - it's unfortunate because they could be seeing 2x the results if they drop the crap food
  • shaun603
    edited November 2014
    Options

Yea, people are really devoted to their salty & sweet treats - it's unfortunate because they could be seeing 2x the results if they drop the crap food

Wow I couldn't agree with you anymore. Simply being on a deficit isn't good enough. A properly balanced macro diet is the key to long term weight loss. Its a total lifestyle. Getting into the habit during a weight loss journey ensures that after you meet your goal you can properly maintain without issue.
  • Fruitylicious03
    Options
    Maybe you just need something to keep your mouth busy? Try chewing some gum.
  • harlequin0318
    Options

Wow I couldn't agree with you anymore. Simply being on a deficit isn't good enough. A properly balanced macro diet is the key to long term weight loss. Its a total lifestyle. Getting into the habit during a weight loss journey ensures that after you meet your goal you can properly maintain without issue.

This ^. You win
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    My mom's sense of taste was compromised after she suffered an accident. It's coming back now but in the meantime she ate when she was supposed to but tasted very little of what she ate and smelled even less. It was less pleasurable than usual and thusly she ate much less and lost weight. She did make a conscious effort to make sure that what she did eat had good nutritional value as soon as she realized she was simply not eating as much. I suggest you do the same. You might find over time that you are just not eating as much food as usual so make it count. Look up macros and focus on getting the most important things in your body first and foremost.

Good luck, you got this! :flowerforyou:

• ana3067
    Options

Jade2112 - try to plan your meals ahead of time, and try to not purchase the foods that are deemed unhealthy - like chips/cookies/over-processed food

You can eat a deficit of just cake and chocolate and lose weight. I said that losing weight = CICO. I did not make any claims as to how healthy you would be based on what you chose to eat, only the end weight loss results.

"In my experience, this enables 'healthy' eating pretty easily because food is no longer off limits, so I can actually enjoy eating EVERYTHING in true moderation."

So I eat chocolate and candy, every day if I want to, while meeting all of my macronutrients. I happen to need to meet my macronutrients by eating "healthy" food. So I get a whole lot of nutritious food in most of the time, and junk food is not seen as being bad. It's all just food.
  • ana3067
    edited November 2014
    Options
    jade2112 wrote: »

You're absolutely right.

I think craving junk food is normal for most of us because it has carbs. Before I got off of sugar I never craved fat or protein but just stuff with a ton of carbs. I am not even sure if Taste is a factor when we are crashing because we need a carb fix.

tumblr_lp7k6kQo7x1qj1a6fo1_500.gif
    breadcyrus.gif.gif?1404209932
  • shaun603
    edited November 2014
    Options

"In my experience, this enables 'healthy' eating pretty easily because food is no longer off limits, so I can actually enjoy eating EVERYTHING in true moderation."

So I eat chocolate and candy, every day if I want to, while meeting all of my macronutrients. I happen to need to meet my macronutrients by eating "healthy" food. So I get a whole lot of nutritious food in most of the time, and junk food is not seen as being bad. It's all just food.

Anna with all due respect, this does not in my opinion enable a healthy eating habit. While we all like to have are cheat foods every once in a while. I believe that hitting the goals of all your macronutriants with healthier choices is more beneficial, mainly because there's other nutrients to consider outside of the 3 primary macros that a lot of junk foods lack in. Every once in a while....go for it, but building a healthy diary from it? Probably not.
  • ana3067
    edited November 2014
    Options

Anna with all due respect, this does not in my opinion enable a healthy eating habit. While we all like to have are cheat foods every once in a while. I believe that hitting the goals of all your macronutriants with healthier choices is more beneficial, mainly because there's other nutrients to consider outside of the 3 primary macros that a lot of junk foods lack in. Every once in a while....go for it but building a healthy diary from it? Not a good idea.

I do not have cheat meals because no food is bad, hence I don't need to "cheat" from my normal dietary consumption in order to enjoy what I eat.

this is the basis of IIFYM, or flexible dieting, which is quite popular among a number of members here. As I said, in order to hit my macronutrients I often need to primarily eat "healthy" food, i.e. nutrient-dense, i.e. your healthier choices.

If the food you want to eat fits into your macros for the day, then it's fine to eat. In order to meet your macros, you'll not be able to just eat poptarts all day. But you sure as hell can have a few if you need all your requirements and fancy a few poptarts. And you can do this daily if you'd like, because in the end eating some poptarts daily will not result in weight gain or inability to eat a nutritious diet.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

Anna with all due respect, this does not in my opinion enable a healthy eating habit. While we all like to have are cheat foods every once in a while. I believe that hitting the goals of all your macronutriants with healthier choices is more beneficial, mainly because there's other nutrients to consider outside of the 3 primary macros that a lot of junk foods lack in. Every once in a while....go for it but building a healthy diary from it? Not a good idea.

I do not have cheat meals because no food is bad, hence I don't need to "cheat" from my normal dietary consumption in order to enjoy what I eat.

this is the basis of IIFYM, or flexible dieting, which is quite popular among a number of members here. As I said, in order to hit my macronutrients I often need to primarily eat "healthy" food, i.e. nutrient-dense, i.e. your healthier choices.

If the food you want to eat fits into your macros for the day, then it's fine to eat. In order to meet your macros, you'll not be able to just eat poptarts all day. But you sure as hell can have a few if you need all your requirements and fancy a few poptarts. And you can do this daily if you'd like, because in the end eating some poptarts daily will not result in weight gain or inability to eat a nutritious diet.

I know some people who have Religious beliefs that are as flexible as this too. :smile: