Can't eat enough

Options
Hi guys. I've been dealing with anxiety and depression for a few years now but recently it got out of control. So in the past 1,2 months I lost more than 7 kg without even trying. That happened because I can't eat more than 700-800 cal/ day; I get physically sick if I eat more. But I really want to eat more, maybe around 1200. I usually eat very clean and can't handle anything greasy, no bad carbs, no bread etc. Please give me some healthy suggestions of how to increase the calorie intake without having to eat bad food. I'm also trying to get more fit right now and I don't want to gain weight. I just want to increase the calorie intake with 500-700. I am completely out of ideas and I'm not having any appetite also.

Replies

• myheartsabattleground
    myheartsabattleground Posts: 2,040 Member
    Options
    Eat more calorie dense things.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    peanut butter...a few spoonfuls will shoot your calories up quickly and it tastes great. Spread it on celery or greenpepper or apple slices or just spoon it strait into your mouth...chase it with a glass of whole milk and BOOM
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    What do you mean by 'bad carbs'...? food is just food, some has more nutritional value than others but it's not good or bad.
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    Not only have I struggled with an eating disorder in the past... but I currently struggle with depression that makes me lose my appetite something fierce lately. When you eat, do you ever find yourself just staring at the food thinking This has no taste. Why am I eating? before you just stop eating? I do.

My best advice is... either eat food that has a lot of calories for a small amount (peanut butter, other nut butters, cookie spread, ice cream, avocado, etc) or drink your calories. During these days/weeks, I often take to drinking a lot of juices, smoothies, the likes. When my depression is that bad, it's much easier to stomach drinking something (as I get thirsty regardless) than eating something (as my appetite and hunger often seem to vanish as a result of anxiety,d epression, and/or the eating disorder).
  • sothi
    sothi Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I say bad carbs I mean simple carbs, basic sugars with little nutritional value but high in calories. Like white bread, white rice and all kinds of deserts etc etc. And I call it bad because it obviously has a bad influence on the body.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I don't feel like exercising, and I do it anyway.
    Food needs to be an item not dependent on your mood for eating.
    Just eat.
    My big struggle was not eating too much, because my mood for a solid food binge was every day. I resisted and learned to eat to goal. Your problem is similar, and there is plenty you can do to help with your emotional issues. Just don't let them affect negatively what you know to do for the sake of your health.
    Either way you slice it, eating close to goal requires discipline.
    Good Luck!
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I think you need to go and speak to a medical professional.
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You can eat:
    Cheese
    Olives/olive oil
    Hummus
    Full fat yogurt
    Nut butters
    Tahini mixed with honey as a spread or dip
    Beans, peas, lentils
    Poultry, beef, fish
    Fruits
    Dark chocolate
    Whole grain breads and pastas
    Cream soups
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    There is no such thing as bad foods. Only bad quantities.

If you want to eat more calories then try peanut butter, avocados or a couple of squares of dark chocolate.
  • sothi
    Options
    Yes definitely. Food has no appeal to me. It's a struggle to eat and it's a struggle to digest it as I get sick from almost anything I eat. I can't eat large quantities. It's also hard to eat everything from my plate, I just give up. But I think it's really important to try harder. It would be easier to eat high caloric meals but I try to keep it healthy, no sugar and stuff like that. I will try to drink my calories, thanks for the advice. Hopefully we'll get better and food is a really important part of getting better.
  • Ash_danielle
    Ash_danielle Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Try some cashews or peanuts a little packs a great punch!
  • uconnwinsnc1
    uconnwinsnc1 Posts: 902 Member
    Options
    Just dump oil and butter on everything...
  • synchrohobbit
    synchrohobbit Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    You said you are concerned because you haven't been able to eat very much and have lost quite a bit of weight, but you also said you are "trying to get more fit right now" and "don't want to gain weight." I agree with someone above who said it may be time to seek professional help, and explore if your relationship with food is due to your diagnosed depression, or if there may be some further eating issues.
  • sothi
    Options
    You said you are concerned because you haven't been able to eat very much and have lost quite a bit of weight, but you also said you are "trying to get more fit right now" and "don't want to gain weight." I agree with someone above who said it may be time to seek professional help, and explore if your relationship with food is due to your diagnosed depression, or if there may be some further eating issues.

I've struggled with eating disorders in the past but now it's different. I think rational and I want to eat. I feel that the problem is more physical than mental. But maybe not. I'm just a bit lost and can't figure out a solution. The doctors that I talked to didn't help much regarding any of my problems. I will try again. Thanks
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sothi wrote: »
    When I say bad carbs I mean simple carbs, basic sugars with little nutritional value but high in calories. Like white bread, white rice and all kinds of deserts etc etc. And I call it bad because it obviously has a bad influence on the body.

if you have got all of the macro and micronutrients that your body needs for the day, what harm is a dessert going to do to your body?
  • sothi
    Options
    sothi wrote: »

if you have got all of the macro and micronutrients that your body needs for the day, what harm is a dessert going to do to your body?

I think it's really hard to get all the nutrients for the day, I can never reach the goals. So that's why I'm saying I'm not looking for empty calories. I don't think it's anything wrong with desserts but I just don't see the point of them. This is just my opinion for my body. Also when I eat sugar I tend to feel even more anxious so it's not helping.
  • Tilandra
    Options
    At this point, eating so far below maintenance (and you're trying to gain!) you need to take the calories where you can get them. You need fuel. All the healthy clean eating in the world isn't going to help your health if you starve to death from lack of fuel.

Work on getting yourself to the point where you can eat your 2,000 calories a day for maintenance without feeling nauseated, then worry about how clean it is. And if you're nauseated by too much at one sitting, try breaking your calories up into four, five, or even six smaller meals a day.

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    There is a very simple four step process to solve this:

1. Grab Spoon
    2. Grab Peanut Butter Jar
    3. Eat peanut butter
    4. Repeat

But honestly, peanut butter, ice cream, adding cheese, olive oil, high calorie protein bars/shakes and avocado's help. But if you can't seem to eat those, then its you ED poking its head again and you need to get help. Your body doesn't know how many calories it eats, only the quantity.