I just found out that I am allergic to soy and oh my, it's in EVERYTHING!!

Options
I can't believe all of the products that I've been eating that have some form of it. Bread, hot chocolate mix, bouillon, mayonnaise, cooking spray, Of course, those are all bad, so I'm guessing this could be a good thing. But WOW! What an eye opener.

Replies

• Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    They are bad for YOU since you're allergic. Not bad for everyone else though.
  • KarmaxKitty
    KarmaxKitty Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    ...I'm lost on how cooking spray is bad... Anywho, sorry about your allergy. My mom is highly sensitive to gluten, so I can understand the struggle. It can be hard to find things without common allergens, but it's possible. Just be really careful to check ALL of the food you eat, unless it's unprocessed. Also, switching to mostly natural foods will make it a lot easier.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the type of cooking spray, and which research you believe about good/bad fats.

Anyway...
    Wow, that's tough. This will be a major life change if you're used to eating processed foods. You're gonna find you need to make most of your meals from scratch. I wish you luck!

I have no food allergies, but I had similar realizations when I decided to cut out sugar for a while, when I decided to try gluten free, and, yes, I even tried to cut out soy for a while (I do many of these experiments).

But, yes, it could be more good than bad. I find it's so much easier to eat healthy when I cook my own meals and more-or-less limit my shopping to the meat, dairy, and produce aisles.

You can do this! Good luck!
  • Kristinemomof3
    Kristinemomof3 Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Well, I really don't eat a ton of processed food, the only reason I even have cooking spray is because someone was moving out of state & gave it to me. I rarely eat bread or mayo, but I do make soup a lot & use the larger containers of bouillon sometimes. The hot chocolate mix is a splurge & is homemade, but I read the Nesquik that is in it & also non-dairy creamer, so that's out. Really I eat a lot of fresh/frozen veggies, quinoa, oatmeal, eggs, chicken and so on. I do a ton of baking too. It really won't be "that" hard, but of the few processed foods in the house, the have soy. Oh and I love edamme.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Yes. That is a big change. Having to read labels and be alert to the various names for soy is a hassle.
    Hellmanns makes a canola (soy free) mayonnaise.
    If you buy a Stick Hand Blender, you can make your own mayonnaise.
  • FrazierSamuel
    FrazierSamuel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Don't know the specifics of your allergy, but soy is a migraine trigger for my wife. We've found that the soy lecithin at the end of the ingredients list and other similar soy products aren't a problem for her. Obviously you shouldn't make yourself sick, but a little experimenting may prove that you can get by a little easier. It really its shocking how much of processed food contains soy.

We've gotten very good at working around it. Feel free to message or add me if you have any questions or want some tips.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It isn't in bread if you bake your own bread. Fresh fruits and vegetables, as well as fresh meat doesn't have it. Hmm. Sounds like you have a good excuse to eat healthy.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Options
    I have a vitamix & a stick blender, I have a background in foods, so my cooking skills are pretty high. I also garden & preserve by canning, freezing & dehydrating stuff. Yep, I'll be eating even healthier now. ;)
  • nuvimi
    nuvimi Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    How did you find out you were allergic to soy?
  • Kristinemomof3
    Options
    My friend is studying iridology and was using myself & another friend as a guinea pig.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    My friend is studying iridology and was using myself & another friend as a guinea pig.

If that is the only source of your diagnosis, you're probably not allergic to soy. Iridology is not valid for any sort of diagnosis. It's as useful as palm reading or tarot cards for determining your dietary needs.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Options
    She did a muscle test & I did a pulse test later. I was having really bad acid reflux and it's esentially gone away.
  • FIT_Goat
    edited November 2014
    Options
    She did a muscle test & I did a pulse test later. I was having really bad acid reflux and it's esentially gone away.

"She" being the same person who is studying iridology and not a medical doctor? Also, these (muscle and pulse) are not real tests that are used for real diagnosis of allergies. They're just as valid as the iridology was (which is to say not at all valid). Your friend is very good at playing pretend, and I believe we should all support adults who play pretend all day. I just don't believe we should base medical decisions on their pretending.

If you think you may really have a soy allergy, see a real doctor and get a real test.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Options
    frob23 wrote: »

"She" being the same person who is studying iridology and not a medical doctor? Also, these (muscle and pulse) are not real tests that are used for real diagnosis of allergies. They're just as valid as the iridology was (which is to say not at all valid). Your friend is very good at playing pretend, and I believe we should all support adults who play pretend all day. I just don't believe we should base medical decisions on their pretending.

If you think you may really have a soy allergy, see a real doctor and get a real test.

Thanks for your input. I had planned to, but just figured it wouldn't hurt to go ahead & elimate it to see how it goes. As to what we both think of Iridology, that's each of our owns business.
  • FIT_Goat
    Options

Thanks for your input. I had planned to, but just figured it wouldn't hurt to go ahead & elimate it to see how it goes. As to what we both think of Iridology, that's each of our owns business.

Just promise me that, when you do see a doctor, you'll come back here and post how you actually weren't allergic to soy (or if you were). I'd love to hear how your friend reacts to the testing proving her wrong as well.

Who are we kidding? If you get proper tests done, which I doubt, you'll never come back and admit that your friend was completely wrong. You'll probably never mention it again, not to her or us.

It should be noted that being allergic to "soy" does not usually mean one is allergic to soybean oil. If you're avoiding that because you think it's something you're allergic to, you're probably going to extreme lengths.
  • Fairytern
    Fairytern Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Damn...I wanted to read the next bit....
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I used to eat a lot of extra soy, like tofu sandwiches and stuff. They wreaked havoc on me. Yucky.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Options
    Frob your so right, I won't go to tge doctor. Thanks to Obamacare, I can't afford it. However, if I cut it out of my diet & feel better with the acid reflux, what's it gonna hurt? In the mean time, I'll see what else she has to say, because she took a photo of my son's eyes and knew things that she should not have known.
  • Kristinemomof3
    Options
    Oh and if it makes you feel better, I won't call it an allery, but more of elimination diet. You probably don't think an ionizer detox works either, can you explain that one to me, since you're so smart?