Raw vegan diet for weight loss?

Options
Hello,

Last week I went to my GP and got my blood results, everything was fine but my thyroid levels were as she said 'borderline low' I have gained a good bit of weight in the past two weeks and am always so hungry. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the raw food diet? I would be eating healthy, plenty of fruit, vegetables and green juices which would include wheatgrass and some kind of greens like spinach or kale. Would this help with the problem? My Doctor isn't sure, I just want to be able to lose this weight and also be healthy.

Thank you.

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If your results were borderline, then you might want to check with an endocrinologist. An endocrinologist would be able to give you a better idea of things that can help since thyroid disorders are part of their specialty.

Goodluck
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why not just eat less of what you already eat??????
  • apparations
    apparations Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about thyroid issues, but I don't really see how it is related to a raw/vegan diet? I really don't get raw food diets at all, what is wrong with cooking your food?!? Only a small amount of nutrients are lost during cooking, certainly not enough to make a difference if you are getting several servings of fruit/veg per day.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    Get referred to an endocrinologist.

I just saw mine for the first time this past week and she also said while my thyroid function is in the "normal" range it is on the low end of normal. I have a familial history of thyroid problems though too, so it's something that needs to be monitored. I'm still eating like normal until I am told I need to alter my habits as the endocrinologist is also checking for potential PCOS and pre-diabetes. That would be something that necessitates further changes in my eating habits.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

Because this is too simple. Everyone thinks weight loss is supposed to be done with some weird, nonsense, unbearable approach.

I just saw mine for the first time this past week and she also said while my thyroid function is in the "normal" range it is on the low end of normal. I have a familial history of thyroid problems though too, so it's something that needs to be monitored. I'm still eating like normal until I am told I need to alter my habits as the endocrinologist is also checking for potential PCOS and pre-diabetes. That would be something that necessitates further changes in my eating habits.

I have had my thyroid checked before, my old doc said it was normal and my mom said it was a low number. Maybe low-end of normal? Do you experience any symptoms likely related to this issue?
  • PrizePopple
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Because this is too simple. Everyone thinks weight loss is supposed to be done with some weird, nonsense, unbearable approach.

I have had my thyroid checked before, my old doc said it was normal and my mom said it was a low number. Maybe low-end of normal? Do you experience any symptoms likely related to this issue?

Me personally I'm a hot mess, which is why my GP sent me for an MRI of my pituitary glad and gave me a referral to the endo. I go back in 13 days for my follow-up after having 4 vials of blood taken on Wednesday.
  • vlheureux
    Options
    I actually have hypo-thyroid (where it does a poor job) to the point where, if I don't take my meds, I end up sick enough to be hospitilized. Had it before I went meatless, still have it, and it hasn't changed the problem since.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options

This.
  • ana3067
    Options

Me personally I'm a hot mess, which is why my GP sent me for an MRI of my pituitary glad and gave me a referral to the endo. I go back in 13 days for my follow-up after having 4 vials of blood taken on Wednesday.

hot mess in what way? I do have anxiety and depression, but I do not know if those can be related to low thyroid. Also probably not related at all, but I've had breathing issues since '09 where I cannot get in a full breath unless I force a yawn or like.. REALLY force air in! Was present even at my most fit. Used to smoke for a few years. Would be interesting if many of my not-so-related symptoms had to do with something hormonal, even if not thyroid.
  • PrizePopple
    Options

hot mess in what way? I do have anxiety and depression, but I do not know if those can be related to low thyroid. Also probably not related at all, but I've had breathing issues since '09 where I cannot get in a full breath unless I force a yawn or like.. REALLY force air in! Was present even at my most fit. Used to smoke for a few years. Would be interesting if many of my not-so-related symptoms had to do with something hormonal, even if not thyroid.

Hypothyroidism symptoms

My endo is looking at possible PCOS for me as I present with a lot of symptoms of that, but some of the symptoms do overlap. This page explains the overlap and connection pretty well.

She did notice that my neck/throat area seemed a little swollen, and she also found an anomaly when she did the ultrasound of my thyroid. I'm a former smoker too, and had bronchitis when I was little. She asked if I had issues breathing, but for me it's usually only occurs when exercising or sick (like I am right now).
  • ana3067
    Options

Hypothyroidism symptoms

My endo is looking at possible PCOS for me as I present with a lot of symptoms of that, but some of the symptoms do overlap. This page explains the overlap and connection pretty well.

She did notice that my neck/throat area seemed a little swollen, and she also found an anomaly when she did the ultrasound of my thyroid. I'm a former smoker too, and had bronchitis when I was little. She asked if I had issues breathing, but for me it's usually only occurs when exercising or sick (like I am right now).

Thanks for the links :) I have breathing issues... always :( actually it's not really bad when I'm lifting weights, but can be sometimes when doing cardio, but not usually.

Let's hope you don't have PCOS, have a friend with that and does not seem like something that's super easy to deal with

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Real thyroid problems will not be fixed by changing your diet.

Real thyroid problems are solved by consulting an endocrinologist.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    There is actually a study which examined vegan diet and hypothyroidism and found it to be protective, despite expecting the opposite since the diet may be deficient in iodine. Now granted the study was not of the best quality, but it does trigger certain questions about the issue.

As for the raw vegan diet itself, I do it every year for a religious fast and let me tell you, you will struggle to even hit 1000 calories.. at least that's the case for me. If you feel this may be an issue, I have one word for you: chia seeds! Alright, two words, but really.. It's not an easy diet at all. You will also have trouble with protein since almost all good non-meat sources of protein need to be cooked.

Do you think you may be able to get by adopting a less restrictive diet?
  • claricesabrina
    claricesabrina Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have followed a raw vegan diet for 3 months and lost 28 lbs in those 3 months. I tried every diet under the sun before this. My digestive system was a mess. As soon as I cut out the animal products the weight just started falling off my body. 2lbs a week! I have never had weight loss so fast. I recently hit a plateau so I guess it's time to start exercising. I sit all day and don't get more than 3,000 steps in per day. I have always allowed myself 1 cheat meal per week too. All of my stomach problems have disappeared, idk if I can ever go back to eating normal, any dairy or wheat sets off an acid reflux flare up. I have added back in one cooked meal a day which is usually a veggie burger (I eat 5 times a day and once is a green fruit/veggie juice). I have found some good recipes and am just taking it one day at a time. It requires a lot of prep which I do on Sunday's & Thursday's. Hope that is helpful!