Spinach smoothie

Options
Had some baby spinach and remembered a vitamix recipe I wanted to try. Plus I wanted to see if I'd like this and if my old blender would able to handle this.

Baby spinach, ice cubes, apple sauce, banana. Wasn't mixing so I added some orange juice. Tasted pretty good. And my normal blender handled the ingredients very well. Not chunky or clumpy at all. Much better way for me to get micronutrients than choking down a salad

Replies

• JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Blenders aren't usually asked to smooth out spinach but it worked out really well. This is good way for me to eat spinach and get micronutrients and fiber. I not not need to buy a vitamix now. Cool
  • ferggie322
    ferggie322 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Blending your spinach with whatever liquid you are using first and then adding other ingredients makes a really smooth smoothie
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    ferggie322 wrote: »
    Blending your spinach with whatever liquid you are using first and then adding other ingredients makes a really smooth smoothie

Thanks. I have to get the order down. I had to mix it by hand. Any other recipes you recommend? Trying to stay away from lettuce as the micronutrient value sucks
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Took it around 10am and at 4:30, I feel okay. Although I'm just lying around today because I feel a bit sick today. Except for some junk food, I skipped lunch
  • fitsporation96
    Options
    Spinach and banana is a personal favourite of mine. I put the banana in the freezer overnight then add to the smoothie the next morning with the fresh spinach, makes a nice cold smoothie.
  • FrazierSamuel
    FrazierSamuel Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    At least three or four times a week I have a spinach, kale, blueberry, and cherry smoothie (I'm not a fan of bananas). It's a great way to get a couple servings of fruit and veg!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I'm trying to consider micronutrient values for health reasons.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Today is spinach, one Apple, banana, ice and 1/2 cup of orange juice. Not quite as sweet but still tasty. Filled up my entire gym water bottle. Going to monitor what this does to my appetitive at lunch. I'm usually hungry at lunch.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I use a ninja thing - I got for the horsepower. I put all kinds of entertaining things in my morning smoothies. FYI - I don't think hazelnuts and bananas are supposed to go together, it was an odd mix.

Also, if you ever use aloe gel in it, don't go overboard, it has a strong flavor, or at least it did for me.

I use bananas, I hate them, but mixed with spinach it's ok. I really dislike kale in the smoothie, but I might have to try some cherries and see if that covers it up.

I use avocado in it for more creamy mixture. I also use coconut water for flavor.
  • BenjaminMFP88
    BenjaminMFP88 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Myrmilt wrote: »
    I use a ninja thing - I got for the horsepower. I put all kinds of entertaining things in my morning smoothies. FYI - I don't think hazelnuts and bananas are supposed to go together, it was an odd mix.

Also, if you ever use aloe gel in it, don't go overboard, it has a strong flavor, or at least it did for me.

I use bananas, I hate them, but mixed with spinach it's ok. I really dislike kale in the smoothie, but I might have to try some cherries and see if that covers it up.

I use avocado in it for more creamy mixture. I also use coconut water for flavor.

All that combined is almost exactly what I blend nearly every morning. Makes about 3 servings as it's close to 1200-1500 calories.

Coconut Water
    Spinach
    Avocado
    Lime
    Kiwi
    Green Grapes
    Banana
    Aloe
    Chia Seeds
    Vanilla Protein
    Plain Greek Yogurt
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    That sounds good. Baby spinach is soft enough for a blender, it would probably be a different story if you were trying it with Kale.
  • zeze001
    zeze001 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I mix Spanich, Blue Berries, Protein Powder and Cocunut Flakes. I love this smoothy!!
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    zeze001 wrote: »
    I mix Spanich, Blue Berries, Protein Powder and Cocunut Flakes. I love this smoothy!!

Not a coconut fan but the rest sounds interesting.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Today is spinach, one Apple, banana, ice and 1/2 cup of orange juice. Not quite as sweet but still tasty. Filled up my entire gym water bottle. Going to monitor what this does to my appetitive at lunch. I'm usually hungry at lunch.

I get approx. 322 from this so it's significant.
  • Myrmilt
    Myrmilt Posts: 124 Member
    Options

All that combined is almost exactly what I blend nearly every morning. Makes about 3 servings as it's close to 1200-1500 calories.

Coconut Water
    Spinach
    Avocado
    Lime
    Kiwi
    Green Grapes
    Banana
    Aloe
    Chia Seeds
    Vanilla Protein
    Plain Greek Yogurt

You use a lot more fun stuff than I do.

I almost never use yogurt, not sure why. I just don't.

My recipe is supposed to be about 400 calories for 1 serving. It's a pretty large serving.

The calorie difference would be the half avocado, grapes, yogurt. I use frozen berries to get it be cold.

I tend to leave out the chia and aloe as I don't need them right now, and overdosing on aloe is an un-fun experience.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    I use 1/2 cup frozen berries, 1/2 apple, 1 cup baby spinach, 1/2 cup plain low fat greek yogurt, 1TBS brown rice protein and coconut water and drink it almost every morning before I work out. Yummy!

ETA, also 1 TBS of ground flax and my husband bought me a Ninja which I love, love, love!
  • BenjaminMFP88
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    That sounds good. Baby spinach is soft enough for a blender, it would probably be a different story if you were trying it with Kale.

As long as there's a thicker substance like a banana or greek yogurt or something of the like, kale or even arugula blend just fine.

• BenjaminMFP88
    Options

Coconut Water
    Spinach
    Avocado
    Lime
    Kiwi
    Green Grapes
    Banana
    Aloe
    Chia Seeds
    Vanilla Protein
    Plain Greek Yogurt

You use a lot more fun stuff than I do.

I almost never use yogurt, not sure why. I just don't.

My recipe is supposed to be about 400 calories for 1 serving. It's a pretty large serving.

The calorie difference would be the half avocado, grapes, yogurt. I use frozen berries to get it be cold.

I tend to leave out the chia and aloe as I don't need them right now, and overdosing on aloe is an un-fun experience.

Aloe and chie are def optional, I only use about a tsp/tbsp of each so not enough to warrent od :) I generally have the grapes and banana frozen but I don't think it matters much for me since I make it in the morning and don't generally drink it till later in the day.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I don't think today's smoothie curbed my appetite that much. I probably ate less for lunch but I didn't see a significant loss in total calorie intake from not eating breakfast vs eating this for breakfast and eating less for lunch