Am I gaining muscle from all this cardio?

Options
Oceanborn2
Oceanborn2 Posts: 16 Member
edited November 2014 in Fitness and Exercise
My calorie intake is around 2000 average per day (counted meticulously) and my TDEE for having a desk job is around 2100 calories so the IIFYM calculator says. I've introduced cardio into my routine and I'm currently getting about 25 miles per week in on the treadmill. Before running I was completely sedentary.

For some reason the scale says I'm 8-9 lbs heavier than when I started. There's no way that that weight is bad weight, it MUST be muscle or something. I'm not panicking at this point because I'm positive I'm doing the right thing, I'm just a little confused as to why my weight shot up.

I'm not even very interested in the scale, I'm interested in shedding this last 10 lbs and having that reflect in the mirror. So it's funny that I've gained 10 lbs, when I was trying to do the opposite!

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    increasing muscle mass requires a caloric surplus with heavy resistance (weight lifting) exercise.....so the answer is no, you did not gain 8 pounds of muscle from cardio plus a caloric deficit
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    It's not possible for you to put on 8lbs of muscle that rapidly. Further you are female, at best you could put on 8lbs of muscle in a year or 2 of intense strength training exercises.

You cannot gain muscle from cardio.

A rapid weight gain is food related, like say water. If you started a new routine and you're drinking plenty of water, your body may decide to hold onto that water for a while. That's good, its healthy weight gain. It would mean you are hydrated.

It's also possible you aren't counting your calories right.
  • SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Oceanborn2 wrote: »
    My calorie intake is around 2000 average per day (counted meticulously) and my TDEE for having a desk job is around 2100 calories so the IIFYM calculator says. I've introduced cardio into my routine and I'm currently getting about 25 miles per week in on the treadmill. Before running I was completely sedentary.

For some reason the scale says I'm 8-9 lbs heavier than when I started. There's no way that that weight is bad weight, it MUST be muscle or something. I'm not panicking at this point because I'm positive I'm doing the right thing, I'm just a little confused as to why my weight shot up.

I'm not even very interested in the scale, I'm interested in shedding this last 10 lbs and having that reflect in the mirror. So it's funny that I've gained 10 lbs, when I was trying to do the opposite!

The most muscle you can gain is an ounce a day, and won't happen on the treadmill.

Water retention. Sodium intake from the day prior. Yet to do your morning constitutional. Can all contribute.

The real reason your scale reads 8-9 pounds heavier than when you started will be found here...

http://www.acaloriecounter.com/blog/why-am-i-not-losing-weight/

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    You are probably eating more than you think. No, it's not muscle.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    No you didn't & the only cardio exercise proven to gain muscle in a surplus is hill sprint repeats.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Cardiovascular training builds up muscle endurance and not muscle size. So, no you're not gaining muscle especially IF you're on a deficit.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    No, you don't build appreciable muscle doing cardio.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    It is VERY difficult to build muscle and with the exception of newbie gains, not possible in a deficit. Probably water, poop and a little of that increase is due to eating above maintenance.