slow to little progress

Options

I have been working out almost daily for about 6 weeks now and eating better. I'm not on any kind of diet I just have been making better decisions on what I'm eating. I have been doing a mix of cardio exercises, muscle building like squats and other routines for butts and thighs, and stretching almost everyday. It was obviously hard at first to get going and even make it through some of the exercises but that's the thing, I did get through them. Now, 6 weeks later, I'm finding it hard to get through the same exercises I was doing at the beginning. I've just started noticing this in the past week or so. I have been taking CLA for the past month and multivitamins, but have no idea why this is happening. For example, there is a 5 minute glute and thigh workout which is basically just squats and lunges and I used to be able to get through it, now, I can't even hold my squat for that long. Also, during this time, I haven't lost that much weight if any. My weight is and has been staying around 140-145. One day it'll be 142 the next it's 145. I am 5'6". As for progress, I feel like I can make it through my cardio exercises easier and my legs have definitely been feeling it, but I can't even see any major progress. I know it's only been 6 weeks but I would atleast think something would be different. Is this normal? Is there anything I'm doing or not doing that I should be? Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is going to be related to your food. If you aren't tracking, you could be way wrong about your intake and if you're eating too much, you won't lose. If you're eating too little, on the flip side of it, you could be failing to fuel your body properly for the workouts you want to get through.
  • chantalebelle
    Options
    it's weird though because even despite my food intake, when i first started and had never worked out before i could get through my squat workout, now, i can't hold a squat for even 30 seconds, my legs are way too sore. but i dont think it's just because they are sore from working out because i switch up what i do everyday and before i workout they aren't hurting
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    it's weird though because even despite my food intake, when i first started and had never worked out before i could get through my squat workout, now, i can't hold a squat for even 30 seconds, my legs are way too sore. but i dont think it's just because they are sore from working out because i switch up what i do everyday and before i workout they aren't hurting

It could be anything from bad form to exhaustion to dehydration to just a bad day. Drink plenty of water, stretch properly, see if someone can check your form, and definitely start tracking food, if only to get an idea of where you're at with it. It'll help, trust me.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you are squatting every day. Is that correct? It sounds like you are not giving your body time to recover between strength workouts. Drop down to every other day or 3x/week and you will likely see an improvement.
  • chantalebelle
    Options
    i'm not squatting every day. i usually do strength and then the next day i do cardio. having said that, in cardio of course there is a lot of leg movements and stuff that is also tiring on the legs so i just feel like my legs are never getting a break. but again having said that lol i know it's almost impossible to not use your legs.
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Working out daily for 6 weeks is overtraining. Its getting harder because you are burning yourself out. Stop working out so much!

This is a big mistake a lot of people make. They think frequency = success. That's not at all true. Quality = success. Reduce your frequency, make the few workouts you do count. And yes be mindful of your food.
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    i'm not squatting every day. i usually do strength and then the next day i do cardio. having said that, in cardio of course there is a lot of leg movements and stuff that is also tiring on the legs so i just feel like my legs are never getting a break. but again having said that lol i know it's almost impossible to not use your legs.

You've basically answered your own question. Continually working the same muscle group every day with no rest will result in plateaus and eventually you'll go backwards in fitness because you're never recovering. If you constantly break down your muscles without giving them time to rebuild, they will get weaker, not stronger.