I have decided to change my eating habits

Options
smizezone
smizezone Posts: 2
edited November 2014 in Getting Started
Today I have decided to make the change. I'm 5'4 and 280 pounds :( , I have decided to make the change for myself and for my 9 month old. I don't want him to go on my path and eat like I do. I'm gonna start by saying I'm so confused on what I can and can't eat. I have done some research on some things like no eating sweets and ect. My problem is meals, I need healthy meals to cook that taste good and don't know where to start. I need help please if anyone can help I will appreciate it a lot.

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,159 Member
    Options
    That is awesome smizezone. I am sure some who cook can point you in the direction you are looking to go. Keep up the effort when you think it will kill you. If you are like me there will be those days. 90 days out I am getting the hang of it I think. :)
  • smizezone
    Options
    Thank you
  • harlequin0318
    harlequin0318 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    One solution: Pinterest
  • lighteningjeanne855
    Options
    I follow the paleo/primal diet.
    You can get information on markdailyapple.com, paleohacks.com, and wheatbelly.co.
    Recipes for this low-carb/high fat plan can be found on Facebook pages for 'lowcarbingamongfriends' and 'civilizedcavemancooking'.
    I'd be glad to help with any questions you may have.
    Best Wishes!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,022 Member
    Options
    Don't make it complicated. Cook a protein, preferably lean, at least most of the time (meat, poultry, fish, eggs, cheese, plant proteins such as beans [black, pinto, kidney, cannelini, edamame, tofu, tempheh, etc.] and lentils), add a whole grain (brown rice, quinoa, whole-wheat pasta, etc.) or starchy vegetable (sweet potatoes, winter squash, white potatoes, corns, etc.), and add some non-starchy vegetables in as many colors as possible (dark leafy greens [spinach, kale, collard greens, etc.], broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, brussels sprouts, green beans, asparagus, carrots tomatoes, eggplant, bell peppers, chili peppers, onions, leeks, shallots, etc.). Mix and match for as much variety as you like.

If you like, include a salad or clear-broth (not cream) soup (or if you prefer a more bisque-like soup, consider pureeing some of the soup veggies in a blender or with an immersion blender to get that thicker consistency).

Try to choose cooking methods that don't use fat, such as steaming, roasting, baking, and boiling (not because fat is bad, but because cooking in fat can often take a lot more fat than you need, and it can sometimes be difficult to know how much fat you've added to your food -- unless you're deep-fat frying, it's probably best to assume all the fat ended up in your food. I do still saute and fry when that's the way to get the result I want, but most of the time I find it's more satisfying to get my fat from olive oil added to a salad or veggies or pasta after they're cooked, and from nuts, seeds, whole grains, dairy, and meat/poultry/fish.

If you prefer one-dish meals (such as stews, hearty soups, chili, curries, and stir-fries), the same rules apply. Most of the time, choose lean proteins, include a whole grain or starchy vegetable (oatmeal and barley are both great in soups), and load up on a rainbow of vegetables. I will use fat to saute the "starter" veggies/aromatics (onion, celery, garlic, carrots, bell pepper, etc.) for soups, stews, and the like, or to brown stew meat; I think it's well worth the calories to get that flavor. Casseroles and baked pasta dishes can be tricky; look for recipes that don't go overboard on cheese, cream, and high-fat meats (again, fat isn't evil, but it packs a big calorie punch, and if you don't want a dish that's going to cost you two-thirds of your daily calorie budget in one bowl, you need to watch it). I do a version of eggplant parmigiana with broiled eggplant (no breading, no oil), tomato sauce, and a reasonable amount of part-skim mozzarella and parmesan (bake in a moderate oven for about 20 minutes after adding sauce and cheese to cooked eggplant) that I can eat a small pan of for just a few hundred calories.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hey, its great your taking charge. Good for you, way to go.
    You can still eat things that you like
    Weight loss is math, calories in vs calories out! Take in less then your maintenance,
    and don't take too large a step, lose fat reasonably, give yourself positive self talk,
    and you will succeed
  • NoelFigart1
    NoelFigart1 Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    smizezone wrote: »
    Today I have decided to make the change. I'm 5'4 and 280 pounds :( , I have decided to make the change for myself and for my 9 month old. I don't want him to go on my path and eat like I do. I'm gonna start by saying I'm so confused on what I can and can't eat. I have done some research on some things like no eating sweets and ect. My problem is meals, I need healthy meals to cook that taste good and don't know where to start. I need help please if anyone can help I will appreciate it a lot.

Set a target number of calories and then eat that.

At this point, cook what you like to eat and then go with portion control. Don't guess. Use something to measure it, like measuring cups or a food scale. (If you think you'd improperly stuff the cup, yes, do use a food scale).

One very easy way to lower the calories in any meal is to up the volume of vegetables you put on the plate. A portion of meat and half a plate of broccoli is definitely going to leave you full, but that broccoli doesn't have many calories.

The weight cycling industry has a new magic solution to this crap about every five years or so. Really, no kidding, ignore it, eat food and measure your portions. It will sort itself out that way.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    smizezone wrote: »

You can eat what you eat now just less of it. Don't over complicate it set a reasonable calorie goal weigh and measure your food accurately and stick within your goals. Don't label food as healthy or unhealthy it's just food aim for a balanced diet and you'll be fine. Also don't be scared to have the occasional sweet within your calorie goals. Restricting things you like normally leads to failure.

Good luck
  • mizroxy13
    mizroxy13 Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    You don't have to, nor should you "cut out" anything. You should eat the things you like, just portion control. Ask yourself if you can sustain your choices for the rest of your life and if the answer is no, then don't do it (i.e cutting out food groups, exercising four hours a day, herbalife, etc.).

I started by cutting calories little by little and measuring and tracking everything. I eat all of the things I like, just make smarter choices. As far as recipes, keep it simple and try to replace packaged, prepared foods with more pure forms (like Rice-a-Roni for rice that you make yourself, etc.).

Pinterest is a great idea, and if you search YouTube for healthy recipe ideas, you'll find some good videos as well.

Congrats on making this life-changing step in your life!!!
  • rebeccajanedecker
    Options
    On the home page there are lots of low calorie meals, so that's a place to start. Also, when you make friends you can look at their food diary (if they disclose that) and see what they are eating to lose weight. You will get lots of ideas on here. Charting everything you eat will quickly show you what foods are not worth the calories.
  • Amanda4change
    Amanda4change Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    First step, go here: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
    and find out what your daily calories should be. Step two is keep your calories under that number every day. It doesn't matter what you eat (unless you have medical conditions) as long as you are at a calorie deficit you will lose. There are thousands of recipes online (just do a google search for low calorie recipes), there are also hundreds of ideas on pinterest. There is a recipe section to these message boards as well, where you can get some great ideas. Get a food scale and weigh EVERYTHING (measure liquids in measuring cups) to make sure you are getting your portion sizes correct (not doing this can dramatically increase the amount you are eating and not correctly counting). Feel free to friend me if you wish