Shingles!!!!

Does anyone have any exercise ideas for someone who has shingles? I have them and anything touching them or my torso moving makes me be in a lot of pain. Thanks.

Replies

• Ida13
    Ida13 Posts: 19 Member
    Sorry I don't, but would just like to say I feel for you... I know what it's like...... Good luck! Are you taking good medicine?
  • I'm a nurse and I would say that shingles can be a very painful thing. I would not really exercise while u have this. My son had shingles once and the poor thing could not really move. If you exercise to much you can lose muscle because it will mess with your nerves. Just be careful Please.
  • I'm a nurse and I would say that shingles can be a very painful thing. I would not really exercise while u have this. My son had shingles once and the poor thing could not really move. If you exercise to much you can lose muscle because it will mess with your nerves. Just be careful Please.

Thanks! I had no idea. I feel pretty crappy but am tired of doing nothing. I will wait.
  • HI!

I recently got Shingles too--

My doctor said it was due to working out a lot, and that my body got shocked because I was eating the calories intake at 1200, and now she wants me to go to 1500 for the meantime while I get better.

And only to do exercise of not even an hour, just 30 minutes walking!!!

i'm really sad, because i just want to workout.

What have you guys done???
  • CoraGregoryCPA
    CoraGregoryCPA Posts: 1,087 Member
    When I read this post a week ago, I thought these people are crazy. Just take it easy. Now I've had Shingles for a week and I'm going crazy. I feel like I've gained tons of lbs. I have been eating really bad because I'm soooooo bored from being at home. I've been eating EVERYTHING in the house. This is horrible.

I want to workout so bad. I'm starting a challenge at work today and they took my weight from two weeks ago. They aren't including the lbs I've gained since having shingles. So now I'm starting a really low calorie intake and I'm still not able to workout-yet. My doctor wrote me a note for another 3 days off of work. I want to go back to work. The worse part is, my gym is owned by my employer so I can't even think about going there!!

Now, I feel for you. Now, I know what you mean when you say you just want to workout! Me too!!!!!
  • MrsSullivan08
    MrsSullivan08 Posts: 274 Member
    Yikes! Shingles are the worst and I know first hand. I had them for 2 months over summer vacation when I was in school and the worst part is, it was on only HALF of my face. Talk about embarrassing. As far as exercise, well, I am not sure what to even go about recommending. Maybe just watch your calorie intake until it goes away. That is what I have been doing since I joined this site with some house cleaning and such and I have lost 4.5 lbs in less than a week.
  • clarispent
    clarispent Posts: 16 Member
    I was just diagnosed with this yesterday. I thought it was heat rash or irritation from working out so much because the rash is in the area of my sports bras. Have never had this before. Anyway, long story short, I live overseas and saw a foreign doctor about it and feel there was a little communication failure.

The doctor told me I just had to wait it out and let it run its course. I asked a bunch of questions, got a few answers, but because I didn't know anything about it, I just trusted that his simple response of "let it run its course" was all I could do. He also didn't tell me I should avoid working out, just to try to avoid friction in the area. Now i know there are antivirals and creams, but he didn't suggest any of those.

Anyway, my ultimate question is, can I still work out like I have been--weights and cardio, sometimes twice a day, once in the morning, once in the evening--IF I'm feeling up to it? Or is this a really bad idea?

I eat plenty and healthy, not suffering there, and I'm not really in a lot of discomfort or pain. Truthfully it's not interfering much with my daily life like some cases I've read about. The rash is in a fairly small area on my side and I only have a little burning and itching from it.

Also, I don't have any of the fluid-filled blisters that are sometimes present.
  • Lilybug01
    Lilybug01 Posts: 1 Member
    I was just diagnosed with shingles. I teach aerobics any thoughts on working out. Very sad.