Addicted to Pepsi Cola

Options
Hi my name is Phil, my goal is 178#. I started at 205# am now at 191#.

I am "addicted" to Pepsi!!! I'm up to going 3 days without one, but it is a struggle! I crave the stuff.

Anyone else with this issue/problem?

Phil

Replies

• jkleman79
    jkleman79 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    My friend was in the same boat...the detox for this usually lasts 3 days. She had a raging head ache and cravings for 3 days then the 4th day she felt like a million dollars and went and walked 10 miles.. Stick with it for one week. You can do this!!
  • crrc78
    crrc78 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I was addicted to diet coke for about 10 years - seriously... i drank about 40-60oz/day, EVERY DAY. I was having horrible stomach issues, so my mom insisted (I was 27) that I give up "that crap"... I quit cold turkey and it sucked for a few days, but i started drinking unsweetened iced tea with lemon to get my caffeine and pushed past the cravings. About 6 months later I gave up all artificial sweeteners and my stomach is so much happier (not necessarily smaller, but happier)! Five years later... I still have the occasional few sips of diet coke from a soda fountain, but never buy it or order it EVER.
    Try to replace it with something better for you so you're not feeling deprived, but think about how many hundreds of calories you'll save!!!
  • katyrose221
    katyrose221 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I had a Coca-Cola addiction for years and years. I tried quitting off and on. I'd usually make it a week or two, before I'd slide. I know going in that the first 3 days are the worst. So I would make it past the head ache part, but my mental dependence was always there.

Finally November, I dropped the stuff for good. I made myself drink unsweet tea in the mornings (and anyother time I got the craving) (hot or iced) to help with the headaches. I still drink unsweet tea everyday. The mental addiction was the hardest. My hubby still drinks soda, but for awhile we switched him to one that I like, but don't love (and he does), root beer. Also we put the soda in our mini fridge in the diningroom, so it wasn't staring at me all the time. He now drinks Coke zero, and I hate that stuff. We haven't had real Coca-Cola in the house since November. I don't know what I would do if we did. I am fine right now with not tempting myself that way.

I still occassionally get this really instense craving for it. In January, I gave in, and truthfully it wasn't as good I remembered.

Since joining MFP, I have been able to make many changes to my eating habits, all of them for the better. I wish you the same!
  • cobracars
    cobracars Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I never liked the diet colas so I was always drinking the regular stuff.

About 3 weeks ago I got all of it out of my house and quit buying it when I'm out and about. Its hard to resist those McDonald's $1 Cokes though!

I have a special reserve I may use to treat myself once in awhile....I bought some REAL Coca-Cola in the 12oz glass bottle imported from Mexico. Its a smaller portion so shouldn't be bad to have 1 every once in awhile, but more important for me is IT TASTES BETTER because its made with pure cane sugar instead of High Fructose Corn Syrup.

Can usually be found at Mexican grocery stores and convenience stores. The bottles are no deposit/no return and I've been paying about $.99 per bottle.
  • Tangerine302
    Tangerine302 Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    When I did drink it I always bought caffeine free pepsi so I didn't have to deal with any withdraws when I stopped drinking it. The easiest way to quit is to stop buying it. That's what I did. If it's not there, you will find something else to drink. The time that I really noticed missing it at first was when we had pizza. Since we always had pepsi with it. I started drinking water with the pizza and now it's no big deal. Now if I could give up the pizza! ha