Cutting off of soda

Options
One month ago, I drank a 2 liter of soda a day. It was pretty bad. I've been weening myself off, and I'm down to about half a bottle a day. I hate soda, it gives me the hiccups (and I get the kind of hiccups that make me puke), it makes me break out, and it's a weight loss no-no. But about two years ago, I started drinking only soda.

Anyways, I'm trying to quit, and it's pretty hard. It's like coffee to me; without it, I'm sad, tired, and sick feeling. With it, I'm the same way, but it tastes better. It's getting easier and I've started going down a few ounces a day and learning to ration it. No matter what, I'll always need it. Being a t1 diabetic, it durastically raises blood sugar when I'm low, and works better than juice or gummies. But I shouldn't need more than a cup or two a week.

Anyways, has anybody else stopped or cut back from heavy soda? And have you noticed any health benifits?

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I was on and off that stuff so many times before I quit it for a long period. Still not sure I'll never go back! I don't trust me, lol.

Tapering was key. When I went cold turkey, I found that being outside and exercising helped with the withdrawal...and Advil. :)

But tapering to one can in the morning and then just stopping the one can...that did the trick. A lot of willpower, too!!

It's tough to kick the caffeine habit. But you can do it!
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I tried cold turkey, didn't work. I'm addicted to Dt. Mt. Dew. Since it is calorie free and I'm about calories in and calories out it doesn't bother me as much as it used to. But, I'm trying to taper. Found if I don't keep it in the house I crave it and will run to the quick trip and get one. I realized I was spending more doing that instead of just buying some and putting it in my fridge.

I'll be in the mood to try again later. Winter is here so I'll swap some out for a chai latte. And, if I make an effort I swap out more water for pop.

Good luck!
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I have read many success stories here on MFP about cutting out soda. Soda has never really been my thing. If the soda you were consuming contained caffeine my advice would be to take something to treat the headaches you may get. When I dropped coffee I took Advil and Tylenol throughout the day. The caffeine headaches stayed with me for about a week and a half.
  • Sweetvirgo63
    Sweetvirgo63 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I wish I could offer advice but I've never been addicted to the stuff and I don't drink sodas at all anymore. I guess for you it's like quitting smoking. I wish you luck on your journey to give it up completely.
  • noexcusesjustresults2014
    Options
    Since you are type 1 diabetic, I think you should go talk to your doctor.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    all of the threads tonight are making me crave things.
  • vlheureux
    Options
    Thanks for all the support! The head aches suck, but I've found myself sipping on a few cups of coffee to keep myself from hybernating. I take it straight, so it doesn't do much to my log, luckily.

Hopefully though, they'll stop soon. It's my first attempt at quitting, and I'm yet to give up on myself.

Yet.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »
    Same.

I just can't get moxie here.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    dbmata wrote: »
    arditarose wrote: »
    Same.

I just can't get moxie here.

I've wanted soda, bacon, and a nutella and peanut butter sandwich for hours.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    hm. bacon, honey and peanut butter sandwiches work... why not replacing the honey with nutella?

WELL NOW.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I only drink Zevia once a month. It's a soda that is sweetened with stevia instead of sugar. I only drink regular soda once or twice a year. I drank some on Halloween. I feel much better without regular soda, I never miss it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    was adicted to soda (any), changed to tonic water (hinking it was better!), went to club soda and haven't looked back.

I now find soda so sweet I can't taste the flavouring.

I was 1 coffee am, soda all day, then couple of beer and a coffee at night.
    Now; 1 coffee am, soda water all day, and light beer and a coffee at night.
    I found the soda water and light beer consumption really made a difference to my caloric intake and weight loss.