High protein on a vegetarian diet

Options
Hi All,

I have struggled with getting enough protein intake. I am not a strict vegetarian, but I primarily eat veggie food, though I do consume quiet a bit of dairy and eggs.

I eat mostly home prepared meals, and am not big on supplements like whey, protein shakes, etc. I am wondering how others have tried to incorporate more protein into their diets? My trainer recommended I consume 80-100 grams, but I struggle to even get 50-60 grams in.

My protein mostly comes from:
milk
egg
lentils
beans
greek yogurt

Replies

• ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Only way you will reach this without going over your calories is to consume some type of protein powder. Otherwise, stop being vegetarian.

Those are basically your only two viable options, since most "high protein" vegetarian options are also about equal in carbs or higher in carbs, meaning you'd need to eat a lot in order to meet your protein needs.

Unless you basically want to down a buttload of egg whites every day. I feel this would be pricier than just buying some whey/etc protein powder.

k wait, I'm going to fill in a diary entry to reach 100g protein, and just use the type of things you listed. Will be back!

Okay, so here is my diary entry to get 100g of protein. As you can see, I needed to use a LOT of egg whites to prevent going too high in fats or carbs. 63g serving is about 2 egg whites, and I put in 5 servings. so 10 egg whites a day.

It should also be noted that calories may not reflect MFP entries because I calculate calories from macros.

Capture_zps5d4275b0.png
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    A lot of the days you have logged you only have 700-900 calories? Is this incomplete logging or is this the type of eating you do?
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Try tofu. 3 oz extra firm tofu has about 80 calories, 9 grams of proteins, 3 grams carbs.
  • ana3067
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    A lot of the days you have logged you only have 700-900 calories? Is this incomplete logging or is this the type of eating you do?

If this is the type of eating OP is doing then I can understand her issues getting in enough protein. From my example log, you can see that in order to reach 100g of protein I had to use a lot of egg whites and wound up at almost 900 calories. Assuming she's not eating 10 egg whites per day.... Her carbs are always higher than her protein, so she's clearly eating higher-carb protein sources. Supplementing could be a helpful fix. As would eating a proper calorie amount!
  • techgal128
    techgal128 Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    I've been boosting my protein by eating cereal with protein (such as Cheerios w/protein), string cheese, and protein shakes.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    In the last week I see lamb and chicken more days than there is no meat... so seriously, what is the point of looking for vegetarian protein sources when you're eating meat? O_o

Chicken is a solid source of protein, and looks like the lamb is pretty good too.

Also, now I'm REALLY going to have to make some tasty Indian food this week. DH needs to get on soaking the chickpeas.
  • ana3067
    edited November 2014
    Options
    In the last week I see lamb and chicken more days than there is no meat... so seriously, what is the point of looking for vegetarian protein sources when you're eating meat? O_o

Chicken is a solid source of protein, and looks like the lamb is pretty good too.

Also, now I'm REALLY going to have to make some tasty Indian food this week. DH needs to get on soaking the chickpeas.

LOL i didn't notice this.

Unless it's faux lamb. ew.
  • PrizePopple
    PrizePopple Posts: 3,133 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »

Then OP has shady logging practices as suspected, because no fake meat has THAT much protein.
  • ana3067
    Options

Then OP has shady logging practices as suspected, because no fake meat has THAT much protein.

Alien faux meat. Going with the whole tapeworm sushi thread.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    My favorite plant-based proteins: tofu, tempeh, and seitan. Seitan is delicious and toothsome, and has a similar nutritional profile to skinless chicken breast. Tempeh is my close second, and clocks about 20g protein per four ounces.

Try making oatmeal with half oats and half textured vegetable protein to boost the protein content. Add a scoop of vanilla protein powder and you've got yourself a great bowl of proats.

Then there's things like legumes. Otherwise, protein in other stuff adds up - broccoli, mushrooms, peanut butter, all provide a decent amount of protein per serving that will help round out your daily goals when combined with the other options.

Hope that helps!

• _L_A_
    _L_A_ Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I have a relatively high protein intake because I eat so much low fat cottage cheese!

Instead of yoghurt with berries after lunch and dinner I'll have cottage cheese, berries and a bit of sweetener, it tastes similar, different texture of course, but cottage cheese has loads more protein in that yoghurt :D I find it really filling!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,988 Member
    Options
    That can be tough.

You can do it without protein supplements, but you're probably going to have to throw more low-fat and nonfat dairy products in there (cottage cheese, greek yogurt, milk), or lots of eggs or egg whites, if you want to stay in the neighborhood of your calorie goal. It's just difficult to eat that much legumes to reach 80 to 100 g of protein a day (although you certainly want to include them (you mention beans and lentils - do you include tofu, tempeh, edamame?). Don't forget that a lot of veggies contain a good amount of protein for the calories they cost you, but you'll likely get filled up long before you reach 50 g of protein from veggies, let alone 80 or 100. Grains can help, too.

Maybe think about ensuring 25 g at each meal and 10 g at each snack? An egg or two plus egg white at breakfast, or a big serving of greek yogurt plus oatmeal or toast with nut butter? Then grains and veggies and legumes in generous amounts at lunch and dinner, with milk, cheese, eggs, nuts, seeds, nutritional yeast to up the ante. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, cheese, nuts, nut butters, defatted peanut meal (e.g., PB2) with your snacks. I've found a line of crunchy sprouted lentils (the Perfect Snaque) as a slightly higher protein substitute for chips/crisps.

I am not a vegetarian, but on many days I don't have any meat, poultry, or fish. I don't usually hit 80 g. of protein on those days (my minimum goal is 75). It usually takes some kind of animal flesh for at least one of my meals to push me over 100, and fiber and protein are really the only things other than calories that I really try to focus on.

I checked my log (sorry, I'm not savvy on the screen shot command), and there were three days in the past 3 months that I got 86 grams of protein from non-meat sources, without protein powder. And those were big workout days that I ate all of my exercise calories back.

• biorobotics
    Options
    seitan (vital wheat gluten) is 23g of protein for 1/4 cup (dinner would use 1/2 cup).
    some veggie meats are pretty high in protein (yves bologna is 13g for 4 slices).
    and whey protein powder.
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options

Alien faux meat. Going with the whole tapeworm sushi thread.

Just eat the tapeworm, that has to have at least a little bit of extra protein.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Low-fat dairy, like cottage cheese and regular cheese.

Veggie burgers. There's a Morning Star griller burger that has 17g per patty. Another kind has 10g per patty. Throw some low-fat cheese on it and you can easily get 22g total.

I struggle with protein, too. :)
  • saanjana
    saanjana Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Thanks all!

I am going to try to up my cottage cheese intake for sure. Nuts and nut butters are going to be another one more.

And yes, I am not a strict vegetarian, but my family is :) Which means I have to eat out for meats and that is somethign I avoid! I enjoy home cooked food, and also enjoy vegetarian food, and feel it is healthy but the protein dilemma is catching up with me.

For those of you that mentioned egg whites - do you buy the standard egg whites in a carton from the store, or do you do them yourselves by taking the yolk out manually? The egg white carton seems to be more economical and also convenient.

Thanks again guys!
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I get 120g of vegetarian protein a day. If you're willing to eat meat on occasion, there's no reason you can't hit 80g. Eggs, greek yogurt, cottage cheese and whey are my staples. Sometimes, you just have to suck it up and choose food for its protein content instead of just going by what you feel like eating. What issue do you have with whey protein?
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    tofurkey Italian sausage is like 20 grams of protein, it's sort of high in calories, but it packs a good punch.

I second the seitan, when I make that I always hit my protein goal.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    You're welcome to take a look at my diary. My personal protein minimum is 80g a day, but my calorie goal is 1800. It would be a lot more difficult to fit 80-100g of protein into a 1200 calorie day on a strictly vegetarian diet.

I love whole eggs, but if I'm running low on calories and need to hit that protein goal, I use egg whites. I bought them in a carton because there's no way I'd ever crack an egg open only to throw the yolk away. I agree that greek yogurt and cottage cheese are good protein additions to a vegetarian diet, and I do also consume protein shakes/bars because I like them. :)
  • ana3067
    Options
    saanjana wrote: »
    Thanks all!

I am going to try to up my cottage cheese intake for sure. Nuts and nut butters are going to be another one more.

And yes, I am not a strict vegetarian, but my family is :) Which means I have to eat out for meats and that is somethign I avoid! I enjoy home cooked food, and also enjoy vegetarian food, and feel it is healthy but the protein dilemma is catching up with me.

For those of you that mentioned egg whites - do you buy the standard egg whites in a carton from the store, or do you do them yourselves by taking the yolk out manually? The egg white carton seems to be more economical and also convenient.

Thanks again guys!

I do cartons myself.

But as far as meat goes, why can't you just like... you know... make your own meat meals? I eat gluten-free for digestive purposes but I do not force my family to eat this way. If we are all eating the same thing or I make something that they can eat too, it will of course be GF. Otherwise they can eat whatever they want. Really not hard to bake a chicken breast or grill a steak when the rest of the family is eating uh... tofu? idk what veggies eat lol