Getting yourself to eat breakfast

Options
For the life of me this has been a legit issue to my weight loss plans, I just can't manage to get up and eat breakfast. I tend to skip it all the time, kind of like its been programmed in your mind. Just like losing weight or getting myself to start workout I need a certain push or something. Also, I don't feel like eating in the morning, it usually feels like i'm force feeding myself and it's a real drag. Well yeah, I don't know do you guys have some advice?

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you're not hungry, don't eat. Even if you eat your first meal at noon, it's still considered, technically, breakfast, because you are breaking your fast.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    I eat at work once I get to work. If you're not hungry in the morning it means that you 1. ate too much the day before; or 2. your metabolism needs to be kicked into gear.

I'd rather eat at work than struggle to fit in eating at home. I just keep cereal or oatmeal in my desk and use the milk in the kitchen.
  • MayhemModels
    MayhemModels Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Maybe if you could just try a small amount of oatmeal or a small piece of fruit would help. Remember you sleep aprox 8 hours without any food, its important to get some sort of fuel in your body when you wake up, it doesent have to be a meal, just a small amout of something
  • Awineburg
    Awineburg Posts: 196
    Options
    I eat at work once I get to work. If you're not hungry in the morning it means that you 1. ate too much the day before; or 2. your metabolism needs to be kicked into gear.

I'd rather eat at work than struggle to fit in eating at home. I just keep cereal or oatmeal in my desk and use the milk in the kitchen.

I agree, if your not hungry in the morning you probably ate too much the night before. Try eating a smaller meal for dinner, and by the time you wake up from your sound slumber you'll be ready to eat! :drinker:
  • DeathEmpr
    DeathEmpr Posts: 17
    Options
    Yeah, that does makes sense, but doesn't that kind of re-arrange your 3-meal a time schedule? I feel like if I were to do that I might as well eat a big lunch and not eat dinner. I know that's not the right thing to do when it comes to eating meals. Not only that but I work over night sometimes and it has really messed up my scheduling. I
  • maddymama
    maddymama Posts: 1,183 Member
    Options
    You might want to try drinking a smoothie or something in the am... I might not want to eat first thing in the am, but drinking something usually helps me to feel better and make better food choices during the day.
  • sharonuk10
    sharonuk10 Posts: 277
    Options
    I never used to eat breakfast. It made me feel sick when I did. BUT I then started to have breakfast everyday and now I wake up and am ready for that first meal of the day. I think our bodies get used to not having anything first thing in the morning. My opinion is that once you get your body used to having that morning meal you will find that it easier to have it you just need to re-train yourself. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day and waiting until noon is not a good thing.
  • DeathEmpr
    Options
    I believe this might workout for me, just eating solid foods in the morning may throw me for a loop, but drinking something might do the trick.

Oh yeah, it's all about adjustment too, I'm just having a hard time to do it though. My work schedule is a bit everywhere so it's kind of getting our to pinpoint everything at the moment.
  • angelaplaxton
    Options
    Can you drink fluids fine when you awake? Because there are "Breakfast", Just add Milk, by NESTLE Carnation.
    You'd find it in the breakfast isle, perhaps near the kids stuff. its packed with iron, B12.
    there is chocolate vanilla and maybe plain.. ?
    good luck!!!
    gotta start somewhere to get there.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    If you don't already know, skipping breakfast makes your metabolism slow WAAAAY down. This is why people who consume more calories via eating breakfast lose more weight in studies when compared to controls who are eating less calories and skipping breakfast.

I'm NOT saying breakfast calories are freebies. But getting that meal in FIRST thing in the morning tells your body - "here comes energy - ok cells, let's rev up! We've got work to do!" Or something to that effect....

Not hungry? Drink a glass of milk - it takes NO time, has protein, and a little sugar to get you going. Grab a piece of fruit, eat it when you get to work or a bite at a time at a stop light. (My pet peeve is people not using 2 hands on the steering wheel!)

Even if you could do this, you could "train" your body to expect breakfast - you'll be hungry soon enough. So start eating!

Another quickie breakfast - Kashi Waffles - not bad, tasty, pop out of the toaster and eat them plain, no mess. Yum, yum!
  • DeathEmpr
    Options
    Can you drink fluids fine when you awake? Because there are "Breakfast", Just add Milk, by NESTLE Carnation.

I might just have to do that actually. What about slim fast? Is there any good reviews or a no go?
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    For the life of me this has been a legit issue to my weight loss plans, I just can't manage to get up and eat breakfast. I tend to skip it all the time, kind of like its been programmed in your mind. Just like losing weight or getting myself to start workout I need a certain push or something. Also, I don't feel like eating in the morning, it usually feels like i'm force feeding myself and it's a real drag. Well yeah, I don't know do you guys have some advice?

You really should eat something. I'm generally not all that jazzed about breakfast either, but I still eat it.

If you're really having trouble, make yourself a smoothie in the morning. Drinking calories is sometimes easier than eating them if you're just not in the mood to eat.

And I totally disagree with the idea that people who have a weight problem should 'only eat when hungry'. Most of us have really fouled up that messaging system and need to eat on a schedule, at least for awhile.
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that does makes sense, but doesn't that kind of re-arrange your 3-meal a time schedule? I feel like if I were to do that I might as well eat a big lunch and not eat dinner. I know that's not the right thing to do when it comes to eating meals. Not only that but I work over night sometimes and it has really messed up my scheduling. I

If you can swing it - you should aim to eat 4-6 small "meals" or snacks evenly spaced throughout the day. Once again, it keeps your metabolism going. If you wait long periods between meals, your metabolism will slow down and start storing things - this is compounded when you "make up for it" later by eating a large meal. Your body is in storage mode and will store the large amount of calories you just fed it.

Stinks I know. Just eat often, small amounts - studies have shown this helps weight loss as well! AND.... it keeps you from being hungry, and then binging on something later!
  • gingerfoxxx
    gingerfoxxx Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    The liquid options really are a great way to start. I NEVERRRRR used to eat breakfast, and when i started i would have part of a naked juice or slimfast, and it really helped me adjust to the idea. (it also helped that i could have it in the car on the way to work, or once i get there) Now, of course, i will be at my desk eating a huge breakfast with fruit, a hardboiled egg, oatmeal, haha. It really grows on you!
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options

I might just have to do that actually. What about slim fast? Is there any good reviews or a no go?

You'd be better off making one yourself.

Skim milk, whey protein powder, cup of frozen berrries and a tablespoon or two of a nut butter(almond works well) and you're good to go!
  • DeathEmpr
    Options
    If you don't already know, skipping breakfast makes your metabolism slow WAAAAY down. This is why people who consume more calories via eating breakfast lose more weight in studies when compared to controls who are eating less calories and skipping breakfast.

Another quickie breakfast - Kashi Waffles - not bad, tasty, pop out of the toaster and eat them plain, no mess. Yum, yum!

Yeah, I believe there was an article on this topic about kickstarting your metabolism. Those kashi waffles sounds good too, and I'm probably going to resort to drinking milk or a shake.
  • DeathEmpr
    Options
    You'd be better off making one yourself.

Skim milk, whey protein powder, cup of frozen berrries and a tablespoon or two of a nut butter(almond works well) and you're good to go!
    This sounds awesome, I just need a blender. Thanks for everyone who contributed, and if you have any more advice go ahead reply. Everything been great so far.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I'm not always hungry first thing in the mornig either - it's just the way I am. I wait 2 or 3 hours until I'm actually hungry and usually eat breakfast at work. The only times I wake up hungry is if I haven't eaten enough the day before or if we've had spaghetti for dinner.