Healthy lifestyle/healthy eating habits NOW I have cavities? ;0

Options

I eat fairly healthy and try to watch my sugar intake. ( I do partake in the occasional cheat meal but it's never something that I think would cause sudden cavities). I have good oral hygiene so I'm not sure why this is continuing to happen.
I do have a couple servings of fruit a day and I also work 12 hour shifts (days and nights) so maybe this all has something to do with it...

A couple weeks ago I noticed a little spot on my back tooth so I made an appointment with my dentist. He told me I not only had 1 cavity but I had 2. I never really had any cavities. I think I had 1 my whole childhood.

I knew my dentist since I was a baby and he hit me with the "Have you been drinking a whole bunch of pop lately?" (he knows I eat healthy and have lost quite a bit of weight so I was kind of taken back) :| I haven't drank pop in probably over 5 years or more.(and never really even drank it when I was heavier) I also don't drink fruit juices or anything really outside of water and tea. Many of foods are acidic... salad dresses, lemon in water and etc. He told me I have really strong teeth and that it can be the acidic foods that sit on your teeth.

Is anyone else having this problem?

I thought those 2 little spots were just a bump in the road but now another one of my teeth is super sensitive... so I am hoping it's not a 3rd cavity. What the hell... :(

Replies

• Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Brushing your teeth too soon after eating acidic foods can eventually wear away your enamel, since your enamel softens after eating those foods and brushing soon after pretty much just brushes away the enamel. This can leave you at a higher risk of cavities later on. other than that, i don't know..lol. Good luck
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    My dentist told me the same thing about a month ago. He said it was both because I eat more frequently (every 2 hours) and because I eat foods that commonly stick to your teeth like protein shakes and sweet potatoes and to just rinse with water after every meal
  • beccamh
    beccamh Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You may also be deficient in the fat soluble vitamins A/D if your diet tends to be low-fat (especially in animal fats). I had a similar issue after losing weight and I read the book Curing Tooth Decay Naturally (can't remember the exact name verbatim) and reincorporated grass-fed dairy, chicken bone broth/stock and cod liver oil into my diet and I have seen a big improvement in my teeth.