Is this realistic?

Options
ajdemg
ajdemg Posts: 8 Member
I'm currently 276lbs and have set a goal of 182lbs. I started off at around 322lbs roughly this time last year and lost the first 40 odd lbs within around 3-4 months then have been up and down since the summer. My goal now is to take in around 1800 calories a day with maybe 2-300 back from walking (based on 80-100 per mile at 17 minutes per mile over normal terrain). What realistically could this achieve in weight loss? I'm aiming (hoping) for around 3lbs per week for 12 weeks then to slow it down to around 1.5-2lbs per week.

Admittedly I never used to walk anymore but I actually enjoy it now and trying to slowly increase my distance, speed and terrain. I probably haven't run more than ten yards for 15 years (I'm 39) so that would be a massive leap if that was suggested!

Another question is would I have lumps loose skin if I was able to lose 3lbs per week for 3 months? If so what would be the best way to minimize this? I've read that weight training may be the answer but weirdly enough I can plank for over a minute each time if I wanted to. Would planking each day for a minute do anything for the future of my skin?

Don't want to join a gym, go swimming or cycling so not many options I agree.

So to summarise

3lbs a week for 12 weeks healthy?
Will this increase the likelihood of loose skin?
Best exercise to minimize loose skin?

Thanks in advance

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    No, 3 pounds per week is not healthy. You risk losing quite a bit of lean body mass if you keep it up for a sustained amount of time.

If you have 75+ pounds to lose, go with 2 pounds per week
    If you have 40-75 pounds to lose, go with 1.5 pounds per week
    If you have 15-40 pounds to lose, go with 1 pound per week
    If you have less than 15 pounds to lose, go with .5 pounds per week

There's no way to tell if you'd have loose skin, but strength training will help you out in a variety of ways.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No. 2 pounds a week is all the more you should realistically and healthily lose.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »
    No, 3 pounds per week is not healthy. You risk losing quite a bit of lean body mass if you keep it up for a sustained amount of time.

I don't suppose that you can substantiate that statement

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Based on the idea that one shouldn't lose more than 1% per week, I don't see why 3lbs to begin with would be a problem, but at some point before the end of the 12 weeks you would exceed the 1% mark. Loose skin happens when you lose weight more quickly than the skin shrinks. The older you are, the more likely you are to have loose skin.
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    malibu927 wrote: »

I don't suppose that you can substantiate that statement

I can by referring you and the OP to this guide.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/931670

2 pounds per week is not healthy. Even if it was acceptable, you can get the loose skin that OP is worried about easily when you lose weight so fast.
  • numinousnymph
    numinousnymph Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    as far as loose skin goes -- i've lost 72 lbs since my highest weight and i unfortunately have a lot (in my opinion) of loose skin. to the point that i have hang on my belly. i'm sure there is fat in there still but i know the majority of it is skin based on how it folds, wrinkles and hangs when i am in different positions. granted i was overweight and slightly obese for about 12 years, and all of that time was during childhood through adolescence, so i think having loose skin for me has to do with being heavy for so long and through a time when my body was still growing.

planks won't do anything for your skin, they'll just work your muscles underneath. having muscle will maybe help some in keeping the skin looking less saggy. your body will naturally tighten the skin as much as it can and i've heard this can take up to two years. but nothing will get rid of actual extra skin.
  • 50sFit
    50sFit Posts: 712 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Dude, I went from 278 lbs down to 185 lbs.
    I did it over 2 years and have kept the weight off going on 3 years now.
    It's not a race. I lost around a pound per week as per MFP recommendation. I wanted steady and lasting results.
    Here is what I do...consider:
    I address 2 areas that make up my health and fitness program.

1. Food Intake - I eat mostly clean as defined by lean meats, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grains, beans and raw dairy. If man makes it, I try not to eat it.
    2. Exercise - both cardio and strength...and I try to engage routines that employ training I enjoy like biking, swimming, calisthenics, hiking and MMA.

If I can do this, so can you!

Good Luck!
    odallxnu01iq.jpg
  • xtinalee17
    xtinalee17 Posts: 42 Member
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Go for the 3lbs! Talk to a dr... I think people on here would be surprised if they consulted a professional.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    dont aim for speed in weight loss. aim for permanent.
  • vecchi
    vecchi Posts: 23
    Options
    All the best in your journey
  • getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Setting you calorie goal at 1800 and eating back some of your exercise doesn't sound to bad. Let the weight loss happen. As you lose weight the rate of your loss should naturally decrease as you get closer to your goal.