hey karate people!

Options
so i was thinking about taking a karate class. i'm 26 and still overweight(i'm 90kg and 170cm tall) and i never done nothing like that before. am i too old and out of shape for it?

Replies

• millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Certainly not! Depending on which style of martial arts you choose, most are pretty adaptable to a range of ages and fitness levels. I study Okinawan karate, and in my style, we have beginners starting at 6 years old up to their 60s. Also, many students have some type of physical limitation - the instructors just work around it and find other movement patterns that the student can do. In other words, some can't kick as high or squat as deeply, but they can still train and progress in rank. It's more to do with dedication and commitment than athletic ability.

I recommend you research martial arts studios in your area, then stop by and watch a class. Ask the instructor questions, then go with your gut - pick the one that appeals to you the most for whatever reason. It's great exercise, and a great way to de-stress mentally. Good luck!
  • ctricya
    Options
    thank you so much!
  • fatboyliz
    fatboyliz Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    You will love it - it is great exercise. I do shotokan, we have tiny 4 year olds and older folk and one of our instructors is nearly 70 but can still do the spilts! You just take each class at your own pace, but I think you will really enjoy it - it helped me gain a lot of confidence!